Thread: rear disc brakes

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I Coupe

rear disc brakes

i have a 89 lxi and it has rear drums i want to change them into discs is this process hard? and where can i buy the kits for cheap?

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Re: rear disc brakes

There's plenty of threads on this, do some searching. For the "kit", hit up your local junk yard and look for SE-i's.

Awaiting Activation ArokASE88LXi's Avatar
    Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lxi A20A3

the process is pretty simple and can be done with just a few hand tools (however i took my cordless 1/2" impact with me it's like my easy button) there is a thread with illustrations on here somewhere just use the search function at the top of the page (or in the suspension, steering and brakes section i think it may be a sticky im not sure.) you'll want to take the knuckle off the rear of an 89 sei and while your there you should grab the brake lines off at the same time. you'll also need the e-brake cables as they're different. their pretty easy to get to or else i found a few different different ones at www.rockauto.com as low as $12 each. i'd make sure you get the calipers off and use those until you can afford to buy new calipers (those little bastards run around $90 each side). anyways yes it's rather simple took me about an hour for everything, there is no "kit" you can buy. if you were to buy the parts from honda i think someone on this forum calculated the cost out to be $650-$700 plus shipping whereas i got a set of knuckles, rotors, calipers, ebrake cables and all just yesterday from pull n save in denver for only $120. i'll have to get some new rotors and calipers and pads but this way is definetely better and now i can just buy the rear civc rotors, and legend calipers and have even bigger rear discs!! anyways good luck let us know if you need any help!
    NEVER argue with an idiot! They'll drag you down to the're level and beat you with experience!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-I Coupe

thamks a lot for the help guys my car needs a lot of work but i refuse to give up on it and i dont just want to fix it i want to make it better to where it can keep up and even beat modern day cars i loved the 3g one for it was the only accord to ever have the flip ups which are bad ass!!!

Awaiting Activation ArokASE88LXi's Avatar
    Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lxi A20A3

Quote Originally Posted by Nik247 View Post
    thamks a lot for the help guys my car needs a lot of work but i refuse to give up on it and i dont just want to fix it i want to make it better to where it can keep up and even beat modern day cars i loved the 3g one for it was the only accord to ever have the flip ups which are bad ass!!!
    I've gotta agree with ya there as far as beating modern cars i love my 3g fun to drive and fun to see peoples faces when i burn rubber in a car as old as I am!! (23) Even way back then Honda was WAY ahead of the rest i mean power windows, locks, mirrors, 4WAL (not that i'm a fan but pretty advanced) brakes 4 wheel disc. shoot i even saw in the manual some of them even had heated seats!! they're from a simpler time when the engine bay is less crowded and easier to work on! plus the reliability factor, my 3g has 315k on the original motor when i took the head off at 300 you could still see the factory cylinder hone marks and no carbon build up on the pistons! If you keep it maintained i certify that the 3g will run forever!!
    NEVER argue with an idiot! They'll drag you down to the're level and beat you with experience!

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx-i

well when you talk about the looks of your car people will always post the same thing, sayin..................... PICS PLEASE lol
    [