Thread: engine questions

Vehicle
    1989 EXi, 1980 AMC Spirit GT

engine questions

hey guys, looks like a great forum goin here. seems to be a huge wealth of information here as well!

so anyway, ive got a 1989 honda accord exi (canadian model), and its just passed the 400,000 kms mark (250000 miles). awesome little car, despite fallin apart around me lol. its developed quite a brutal knock, im pretty sure its a rod bearing. it started only at high rpm (3500+ rpm) but now it starts at about 1500 rpm. on the other hand, im so embarrased of the noise i keep my foot off the skinny pedal more now so my fuel mileage has increased!

so far i did a compression test and found 145 psi in cylinders 1-3, and 135 psi in the 4th. havent had the chance to do a leak down test or pull the pan off.valve lash is great still, .006 on intake and .011 on exhaust. fuel mileage is good, about 20-24 mpg.

my local stealership told me 1000 bucks cdn for new bearings, rings, seals and gaskets. this would mean reusing my old pistons (let the flaming begin?)

i also have transmission shifting issues and i need a new rack. the power steering i can live with, its just a shudder when turning right, when hot.

so is my best bet going to be to rebuild this engine and transmission or try to fit another one in? if i go with a junkyard drivetrain, i might spend less but i wont know how long itll run for. im tryin to keep this cheap and kind of quick as this is my daily driver.

Awaiting Activation ArokASE88LXi's Avatar
    Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lxi A20A3

Re: engine questions

if it only knocks at higher rpm than idle i'd guess there's not much damage i'd try pullin the pan and just replacing the bearings. it's a quick cheap fix and may last quite awhile in the mean time you can sock a little bit away to fix it completely. that's great compression especially for 250k (i'm american can't understand metric ha ha) i'd suspect the pistons and rods are just fine (assuming the bearing hasn't scored the rod but that's highly unlikely) i had the same thing happen to my 88, replaced the bearings and knock went away. i used some lucas additive and babied it until i could afford to buy some better rebuild parts (until i bought the 86 and the 88 became my parts car ha ha). shudder when turning sounds like it could be just low but you seem pretty knowledgeabe so i'm assuming you checked that already lol
    NEVER argue with an idiot! They'll drag you down to the're level and beat you with experience!

Vehicle

Oh and Btw Welcome to the forum!! and your right there's a ton of knowledge on this site i know i learn somethin everytime i logon
    NEVER argue with an idiot! They'll drag you down to the're level and beat you with experience!

Vehicle

thanks! so i was reading in the "this damn noise" thread, and i was wondering, is it possible to do bearings in frame?? i had a look underneath and it didnt look like it to me.

Vehicle

please elaborate on "bearing in the frame" i may just be having a brain fart lol

Vehicle

oh oh oh now i feel stupid you mean is it possible to replace the bearings with the engine still in the car. sometimes i space out lol

ya it's totally possible you just remove the oil pan and the baffle, remove the rod caps, push the pistons gently up to the top. I use rubber hose on the rod studs so they don't hit the crank. once the piston is up and the rod journal is all the way down replace the bearing on the rod, pull it down on top of the journal, replace the bearing on the cap and torque it back on. it's really simple once you get the pan off. i had to do this to my 3000GT VR4 then i traded it in just in case

Vehicle

yea, i meant rod and main bearing with the engine in the car still, lol. i looked under and it looked to me alot like id have to remove the crossmember and exhaust to do this.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by ArokASE88LXi View Post
    :
    ya it's totally possible you just remove the oil pan and the baffle, remove the rod caps, push the pistons gently up to the top. I use rubber hose on the rod studs so they don't hit the crank. once the piston is up and the rod journal is all the way down replace the bearing on the rod, pull it down on top of the journal, replace the bearing on the cap and torque it back on. it's really simple once you get the pan off.
    Right on!
    I would add a few bits in case you do not have a service manual (download-able from here somewhere anyway)
    ONeO NOT touch the bearings' side facing the journal with your fingers (don't know why though; maybe fingers' grease would affect bearings' finish).
    Two: you may want to apply "assembly lube" in the bearing/journal surface. It comes in a tube like toothpaste (at least mine came that way) and its consistency will keep it in the journal surface thus providing critical lubrication when you crank the engine for the first time. You may skip it and use regular engine lube instead
    Three: keep the area F...ing clean; the last thing you need is dirt getting into the engine at that time; make sure the garage floor is clean. You may also take the car to the wash and use a pressure hose to clean the underside as thoroughly as possible before disassembling (just remove the low plastic cover to have more room to insert the hose). Besides a clean working are it would give you the chance to catch on whatever oil leak may be in there

Good luck!
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Where are you from? It might just be cheaper to buy a lower miles engine and slam it in.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

im in red deer, alberta canada. ive had a look around but the only decent yard close by is a total robbery. ill probly grab the bearings and try that. i have access to a shop that stays clean. thanks guys!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by amcinstaller View Post
    im in red deer, alberta canada. ive had a look around but the only decent yard close by is a total robbery. ill probly grab the bearings and try that. i have access to a shop that stays clean. thanks guys!
    Seriously??? You're in Red Deer??

Gimme a shout via PM and I can figure your shit out! I live at the corner of 67th street and 59th ave. Also have rebuilt 10+ engines!

Edit: I've also got 3 ish complete running engines for your car, but they're down in the Kootenay's, BC. Sounds like road trip time!

Edit edit: I'm also looking for a reason to book off extra days for Canada day long weekend. Road trip!!!

Edit etc....: I'm also a machinist.
    Last edited by Ichiban; 06-20-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I was gonna weigh in here, but if Guy's on the case, you're in good hands. You don't need anything from me. Welcome to the site!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Seriously??? You're in Red Deer??

Gimme a shout via PM and I can figure your shit out! I live at the corner of 67th street and 59th ave. Also have rebuilt 10+ engines!

Edit: I've also got 3 ish complete running engines for your car, but they're down in the Kootenay's, BC. Sounds like road trip time!

Edit edit: I'm also looking for a reason to book off extra days for Canada day long weekend. Road trip!!!

Edit etc....: I'm also a machinist.
    See

I knew someone in Canada would be able to help you

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742