Thread: engine turns over, stalls immediately

DX User

engine turns over, stalls immediately

The past few weeks I've had idle troubles - while in gear (automatic), the idle drops from 800rpm to about 200RPM, and goes back up when in neutral or park (although it sounds like its having a hard time running)

Today when I started my car, it turns over, the rpm's rise to normal, then it immediately stalls out. The carb on the car is a "re manufactured" deal, and its only like 3 months old, as I had problems with the original Honda carb on the car (couldn't adjust the choke, so the mechanic told me to buy a new carb)

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? I'm really starting to miss fuel injection

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Re: engine turns over, stalls immediately

Do you have emissions testing?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    Do you have emissions testing?
    Yeah it passed aircare before...I haven't gone with this other carb though (and it was installed/tuned by a shop, so I don't believe its running lean/rich)

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Fuel pump or filter been changed lately? I was asking about the emissions because you can solve almost every problem by removing all that emission garbage.

DX User

Fuel pump hasn't been changed, no - but fuel filter has (one of them I think?)

Car has 148,000km's - is there a way to diagnose a fuel pump failure? Would the fact that I'm only getting 279 miles to a tank (13.21 gallons or 50 liters) have anything to do with that?

DX User

Started the car up this morning - started GREAT. Left it running for about 5 minutes...car sounded like the fuel wasn't getting to the carb as well as it should, RPM's were at about 1500 (usually they're at 2000 with the choke).

I pushed the pedal down to disengage the choke, and the car stalled instantly. Car wouldn't start unless I pumped the gas pedal, and even then it immediately stalled.

You guys think its the fuel pump?

Vehicle

Either that or an accelorator pump. Swap out with a Weber and get rid of that mess of problems.

DX User

Either that or an accelorator pump. Swap out with a Weber and get rid of that mess of problems.
    I'd love to swap out to a Weber (even though I just replaced the carb with a non-stock remanufactored model) but lack the funds for the upgrade. Don't I have to buy an adapter plate for it as well?

The shop quoted me $250 for the fuel pump and labor - if the carb is the issue, than I'll end up saving for the 38/38 (saw a new one on ebay)

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_warkentin View Post
    I'd love to swap out to a Weber (even though I just replaced the carb with a non-stock remanufactored model) but lack the funds for the upgrade. Don't I have to buy an adapter plate for it as well?

The shop quoted me $250 for the fuel pump and labor - if the carb is the issue, than I'll end up saving for the 38/38 (saw a new one on ebay)
    thats way to much on fuel pump you can get 1 for cheap an do it yourself in less than 45 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    dont get peoples hopes up.......we are broke...thats why we drive 80s cars
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960455

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    thats way to much on fuel pump you can get 1 for cheap an do it yourself in less than 45 minutes.
    If there's anything electrical in my house, I do it myself (because I'm an electrician). If there's anything mechanical outside of oil changes and spark plugs, I get a mechanic to do it - I fuck EVERYTHING up. And I mean everything

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_warkentin View Post
    Fuel pump hasn't been changed, no - but fuel filter has (one of them I think?)

Car has 148,000km's - is there a way to diagnose a fuel pump failure? Would the fact that I'm only getting 279 miles to a tank (13.21 gallons or 50 liters) have anything to do with that?

I didn't know that 3 gee's had different size gas tanks on them...mine holds 15.9 gallons according to the owner's manual

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

that is low mileage
    I would say you had a thermovalve problem or vaccum hose leaking some where. There are so many things outside the carb that control the idle servos on the blasted POS. Stalling that quick sound like a nice size vac leak.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Check that stupid idle mixture solenoid. It's the only other wire going to the carb besides the choke.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrebellion View Post
    I didn't know that 3 gee's had different size gas tanks on them...mine holds 15.9 gallons according to the owner's manual
    Mine's an LX from Canada - so it has a 50L tank. I got better mileage out of my '86 carbed Civic...it was only a 40L tank and it got 500km's vs 450km on the Accord (with a way bigger tank!)

Vehicle

Cuz something is messed up.

How far away from Oregon are you?

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Check that stupid idle mixture solenoid. It's the only other wire going to the carb besides the choke.
    idle mixture solenoid (indeed lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    dont get peoples hopes up.......we are broke...thats why we drive 80s cars
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960455

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

there is 2 fuel filters.. one behind the rear drivers wheel which gets clogged alot and one in the ebay

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Yeah, replace all your vacuum lines, mixture solenoid & thermovalve... Then get back to us on how that B.S. goes......

Keep you eye on that WEBER on ebay & don't look back...........

DX User

Cuz something is messed up.

How far away from Oregon are you?
    Heh well I *wish* I was alot closer to Oregon than I am (about 10 hours away in Vancouver, BC Canada)

I love that State...a couple years ago I went on a road trip up to North Bend and drove back down along the coast, camping. It was amazing

Vehicle

Expencive to live here, though...