Thread: 87' carburetor rebuild...

DX User
    Vehicle
    87' Accord LX

87' carburetor rebuild...

hey, ok, so my 87' accord has been nothing but problems since i have had it, so the original carburetor float valve went out and it hydro-locked my engine, so i ordered another carb from the wrecking yard and when the mechanic put it on it was leaking BAD BAD BAD, so now i ordered a carb rebuild kit and am going to rebuild the original carb

but i hear it is a PAIN and 9 times out of 10 they dont work when your done, but i really dont have any other choice, i looked around the internet and some of the forums on here and i cant really find a good article on doing it, can anybody help me out on this??? i can supply pics of the carb if needed for somebody to make a diagram or something, well thanks for any help!!!!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: 87' carburetor rebuild...

Rebuild kit should come with an exploded diagram of the carb, and installation instructions, should it not?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User
    Vehicle
    87' Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Rebuild kit should come with an exploded diagram of the carb, and installation instructions, should it not?
    i ordered it from autozone and the guy said something about instructions but im not sure about if its a blow-up diagram or anything, so im really not sure, and i guess theres no place in town that rebuilds foreign carbs either, so i really need this to work, lol

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Wink Re: 87' carburetor rebuild...

These carbs are a bitch to rebuild. I used to rebuild them & sell them as a hobby. That got old & I was never was happy with my idle. Personally, I've never been happier since I switch over to a WEBER!!! I keep telling people these carbs are not worth messing with when they start messing up. Slowly but surely they wake up after hours of wasted time & money.........

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Weber... FTW
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l

DX User
    Vehicle
    87' Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by 88Accord-DX View Post
    These carbs are a bitch to rebuild. I used to rebuild them & sell them as a hobby. That got old & I was never was happy with my idle. Personally, I've never been happier since I switch over to a WEBER!!! I keep telling people these carbs are not worth messing with when they start messing up. Slowly but surely they wake up after hours of wasted time & money.........
    yeah im sure your rite about it being a bitch, but i really dont have a choice money wise, but what is a weber exactly??? i checked out some website and it seemed to be like performance parts for the carb or some kind of conversion kit to turn your carb to FI, but im not sure and it seems damn expensive, lol

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

weber is a replacement performance carb

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87' Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    weber is a replacement performance carb
    so whats all involved in getting one of these installed and running other than buying the physical part?? will the airbox still fit over it and does the base of the carb match up on the car??? and whats the exact one i would need for my car??? sorry bout the questions but i have never had to deal with carbs, my last car was FI, although it was still a POS, lol

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

they make the adapter plate for it.. and it comes with a new air filter/air box

the whole carb looks like this once installed

and you would need a weber .38 or a 32/36
    i believe the whole setup with adapter plate runs about $300 something

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

heres a 32/36 on ebay right now with the adapter plate and everything
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...lenotsupported

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

exactly, if the internet were around in 87 you would have read the same thing back then. It was par for the course to replace Asian carbs with holley and weber aftermarket replacements. Under par actually, beat the course!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by zack_attack2010 View Post
    hey, ok, so my 87' accord has been nothing but problems since i have had it, so the original carburetor float valve went out and it hydro-locked my engine, so i ordered another carb from the wrecking yard and when the mechanic put it on it was leaking BAD BAD BAD, so now i ordered a carb rebuild kit and am going to rebuild the original carb

but i hear it is a PAIN and 9 times out of 10 they dont work when your done, but i really dont have any other choice, i looked around the internet and some of the forums on here and i cant really find a good article on doing it, can anybody help me out on this??? i can supply pics of the carb if needed for somebody to make a diagram or something, well thanks for any help!!!!
    importcarbs.com check him out best price i've seen yet

Vehicle

it was just under 300 for an 86-89 carb. he hand rebuilds each one personally,been in buisness forever.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    it was just under 300 for an 86-89 carb. he hand rebuilds each one personally,been in buisness forever.
    but if its just under $300 wouldn't it make more since to pay $350 to get the weber and actually have some sort of performance

Vehicle

but if its just under $300 wouldn't it make more since to pay $350 to get the weber and actually have some sort of performance
    i'm talking about if you have to have the original

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

i ordered it from autozone
    That's mistake #1. Rebuilding the carb is going to be hard enough, you don't need a second-rate kit to make things worse. I'd get a kit from Napa if you can.

I haven't rebuilt any of the 3g carbs, but I've built 1g and 2g Keihin carbs. The trick is to take apart as little as possible. Keep careful track of what you do remove and how you remove it. Clean everything carefully and ensure you reassemble correctly. Most importantly, sit down with the manual (available here: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137) review the parts about carb disassembly and reassembly and make sure you understand everything before you start. Pulling the carb, taking everything apart and then trying to remember how your bucket-full of parts fits together is a recipe for massive failure. Work on a large table covered with something you can write on. As you remove a part, set it on the table, put a box around it and give it a number. The first part will be 1, obviously. Place the next part next to it and mark it 2, etc. Just be careful and methodical and you'll be good. The most difficult part will be adjusting the float levels. Be very careful to do this properly. Some carbs have windows with marks where the correct level is and that makes it real easy. Just fire up the car and tweak until it's right.

Good luck!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    i'm talking about if you have to have the original
    True.. like cali owners damn smog checks!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    That's mistake #1. Rebuilding the carb is going to be hard enough, you don't need a second-rate kit to make things worse. I'd get a kit from Napa if you can.

I haven't rebuilt any of the 3g carbs, but I've built 1g and 2g Keihin carbs. The trick is to take apart as little as possible. Keep careful track of what you do remove and how you remove it. Clean everything carefully and ensure you reassemble correctly. Most importantly, sit down with the manual (available here: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137) review the parts about carb disassembly and reassembly and make sure you understand everything before you start. Pulling the carb, taking everything apart and then trying to remember how your bucket-full of parts fits together is a recipe for massive failure. Work on a large table covered with something you can write on. As you remove a part, set it on the table, put a box around it and give it a number. The first part will be 1, obviously. Place the next part next to it and mark it 2, etc. Just be careful and methodical and you'll be good. The most difficult part will be adjusting the float levels. Be very careful to do this properly. Some carbs have windows with marks where the correct level is and that makes it real easy. Just fire up the car and tweak until it's right.

Good luck!
    I hate rebuilding the things, used to have all the special little tools and all, like the ones for setting the float level correctly in the aux float bowl ,dk what happend to all that stuff, but even after doing surgery on them in a clean room on white paper,they still sometimes never work right again.

Vehicle

tell you the same thing i tell everyone else, importcarbs.com guy built some carbs for me years ago, great job, i always recommend people who do good work. they are a pain to fix,and stuff like the top hat you can't fix yourself ,need special tools. he went down in price 86-89 are now 229 plus tax
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-22-2009 at 02:47 PM.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I wouldn't sell him on getting his oem carb rebuilt by himself or any guy at carbsareus, or what ever... These carbs are junk & the engineering wasn't good.

Vehicle

I wouldn't sell him on getting his oem carb rebuilt by himself or any guy at carbsareus, or what ever... These carbs are junk & the engineering wasn't good.
    I think he is required to have an oem carb isn't he? not trying to sell him, they just have good prices and i've dealt with them before, trying to pass the info along. if he can put on a webber then go for it.

LX User

See a recommendation for a importcarbs.com. Is this still a good source for rebuilt oem carb for '88 Accord DX?

DX User

they make the adapter plate for it.. and it comes with a new air filter/air box

the whole carb looks like this once installed

and you would need a weber .38 or a 32/36
    i believe the whole setup with adapter plate runs about $300 something
    I see it eliminate all the hoses and wiring from the engine bay....

DX User

How hard was it to switch to aweber?