Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cash for clunkers

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Re: cash for clunkers

Quote Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
    This is a horrid idea.

Say good-bye you your junk yards....

We buy cars off the street to put in the yard and sell parts. If we can't get cars, there are no new cars to put into rotation. If we don't have cars for rotation, the cars that are there already get more picked apart, which means you get sick of seeing the same old cars here, so you don't find what you need and you don't spend money here. If you and everyone else that enters here continually more and more people do this, we get no revenue therefor we close. Now we are a huge yard, my company is the world's largest automotive recycler, but support your local "mom and pop" yard.

How many times have we all posted a thread with "AWESOME JY Finds Today!!!!" or "Look What I Found!". There will be no more of these posts. So now if you can't find it used, you have to buy it one ebay or from another user on a message board, or buy a donor car. That all ends up costing us more money.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just a miserable idea. In the short term we lose, but also in the long term, WE the people end up paying for this, our tax dollars.

Boo for cash for clunkers.

Gotta totally agree with you. Either the JY's roll over and go out of business, or they have to match or beat the governments price, which would cause them to go WAY up on their prices. Im pretty sure the pull-a-part gets most of their cars either for free from the side of the road, or they pay 1000 for them from the owner. Cash for clunkers pays 3000, which would cause a 2000dollar deficit. They would start charging WAY more for parts.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd

Trust me, we do not get cars for free. Those days are well gone. We pay $250+ on cars and that's on the base end, most of my cars are $400+.
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The thing with this program is the qualification process. You have to have owned, registered, and insured the car for at least a year before a car is elligible. I think that pretty much keeps the cars cycling to the junkyards. I have 2 3geez for sale, $100 each. You'll still find prices like that because the cars don't meet the qualifications of this program.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i saw that $100 coupe on another forum ^ if i were closer i woulda bought it by now lol

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Trust me, we do not get cars for free. Those days are well gone. We pay $250+ on cars and that's on the base end, most of my cars are $400+.
    I'm pretty sure our junkyard pays $1000 for the cars around here. Hell, they get that back when they crush it into a cube and recycle it i would imagine.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

they dont pay more thne like $350 over here... hell they only offerd to give shane $26 for my old 3gee...

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

This is a horrid idea.

Say good-bye you your junk yards....

We buy cars off the street to put in the yard and sell parts. If we can't get cars, there are no new cars to put into rotation. If we don't have cars for rotation, the cars that are there already get more picked apart, which means you get sick of seeing the same old cars here, so you don't find what you need and you don't spend money here. If you and everyone else that enters here continually more and more people do this, we get no revenue therefor we close. Now we are a huge yard, my company is the world's largest automotive recycler, but support your local "mom and pop" yard.

How many times have we all posted a thread with "AWESOME JY Finds Today!!!!" or "Look What I Found!". There will be no more of these posts. So now if you can't find it used, you have to buy it one ebay or from another user on a message board, or buy a donor car. That all ends up costing us more money.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just a miserable idea. In the short term we lose, but also in the long term, WE the people end up paying for this, our tax dollars.

Boo for cash for clunkers.
    there are a lot of cars that don't qualify for this program, it's mostly 80's and up gas guzzlers, also the cars have to be running and driving and registered and insured to the owner constantly for a year. most of the cars yards get aren't running,or are wrecks,or non insured.no registration, and all that,this will have no affect on those cars.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    they dont pay more thne like $350 over here... hell they only offerd to give shane $26 for my old 3gee...
    yeah here in florida a normal payout is 100-200 for a RUNNING car F-that

Vehicle

In this economy i don't think many people who are driving these older cars are going to be trading up to new cars anyway, most people who own these cars that qualify are just glad to have something that runs, you don't just drive the car in and they give you money, that money comes off a NEW car you buy or lease. if you are driving a mid eighties gas guzzling POS, chances are you can't afford a new car,incentive or not.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

3G Accords will not be part of this program; I checked out when the bill was first proposed

Besides, the owner of the old car has to buy a new one in order to get the $$$. Even assuming that one has the old-clunker-guzzler that qualifies under the program, he has to take the risk of buying a new car in this economic climate.... who's gonna pay for the new car if unemployment hits?

So, we'll keep on seeing old Honda cars around; they last, they are frugal, they do not pollute... and they are already paid off! (=no debt). The guy that did emissions on mine asked whether I wanted to sell it; he was looking for a car for his teenager son.... the car had passed emissions with absolute ease.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Like I said earlier in this thread, my wife and I are looking to trade in our Camaro through this program. the $4500 puts a car within our budget. Without that incentive, we would drive the Camaro completely into the ground, neglecting it more because we simply don't like the car, and the fact that it's worth practically nothing at all keep us from trading it or selling it through traditional channels.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

im sorry but the governmnet can go fuck themselves on this one.

the only way anyone is taking my Accord from me is when they pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. period.
    -Harvey

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 'A20A3' View Post
    im sorry but the governmnet can go fuck themselves on this one.

the only way anyone is taking my Accord from me is when they pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. period.
    they aren't taking your accord, the program is voulentary and the three geez get too good of a gas mileage to even qualify, you can thank sema for the changes to the law that saved our cars, it's prett much 1984 and up gas guzzling cars that have been owned by the same person for a year, and have been registered and insured for the same year, have to be running and driveable to even qualify,and you have to be buying a brand new car to get the incentive. so it will be a lot of lousy american junk from the eighties and nineties that sucks anyway, and the yards are normally full of anyhow,
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i wish 91 civics would qualify

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    i wish 91 civics would qualify
    I don't think any hondas will qualify,they have always been very fuel efficient. The government is wasting money with this crap anyway, most of the cars that qualify are falling apart and would be junked soon anyway. I don't think there will be a huge outcray in the loss of vets that made no horsepower, and were butt ugly,and rusted out camaros. all the classtic good looking american cars were mostly pre 80's anyway, and those cars don't qualify.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-03-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Honestly, if it weren't for this program, we'd be fixing the Camaro. Again, I'm also in the minority that has the money to afford a new car and has a car that qualifies for the program. If it weren't for this program, I'd get the Camaro fixed instead, because even though it needs a good deal of work, it's worth more than typical trade-in value on such a car. We didn't really stop maintaining the car until the bill was introduced, so we've been planning this out for quite some time.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Honestly, if it weren't for this program, we'd be fixing the Camaro. Again, I'm also in the minority that has the money to afford a new car and has a car that qualifies for the program. If it weren't for this program, I'd get the Camaro fixed instead, because even though it needs a good deal of work, it's worth more than typical trade-in value on such a car. We didn't really stop maintaining the car until the bill was introduced, so we've been planning this out for quite some time.
    What were you thinking of getting?

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I don't think any hondas will qualify,they have always been very fuel efficient.
    Some will (all figures = combined cty/hwy): 01 odyssey 18mpg; all *Passport's 17-18mpg; all *Acura SLX 15mpg; '99 Acura 3.5RL 18mpg; '95 Acura Legend 18mpg. That was just a few yrs I looked at.
    Then there's all the Accord v6's,CRV's, and S2000's, they hover around 19-21mpg, which doesn't qualify but I still wouldn't call it fuel efficient. The Ridgeline and Pilot both get 17mpg, which dont qualify either but only because they're built after '02.

[ *= not made by Honda, but still a Honda... technicality bitch]

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Kia Soul.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

^^
    Can i has ur light up spkrs?

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Kia Soul.
    How are those compared to the new Nissan Cubes? (I think thats what they are called)

Any idea?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Everyone that's reviewed them prefers the Soul. It's cheaper, and it drives better. It has more utility, and its interior space are better thab the Cube.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

I like the Soul but the rear-end puts me off a little, still it looks a lot better than the cube IMO and Kia has the better warranty. Free sirius radio too. I have to say I thought you were joking at first ha

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i honesty dont like any of the new funky little cars coming out.. but pretty much every new car is ugly lol

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...-already-there

"
    The California program is pretty simple. If you own a registered car built before 1988, you may get a letter with your renewal that goes something like this (received by a friend with a 1951 MG TD):

Since the registration on your model year 1951 vehicle is expiring soon, please consider an alternative to driving this vehicle. You can receive $650 for your 1987 or older car, van or pickup truck from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and help reduce air pollution.

The District's Buy Back Program buys and then scraps 1987 and older vehicles. These older vehicles have less efficient emission control equipment and therefore produce much more air pollution than newer vehicles. This program is completely voluntary. If your car is a classic car or otherwise valuable to you, please disregard this letter.

Note, first, the second-to-last sentence: This program is completely voluntary. Despite hysteria among some collectors that old-car-crushing programs will become mandatory, we simply don't believe that will happen. Ever.

Second, you can't just drag a junkyard hulk to the station and get paid. The car must have been registered for the last two years, and be driven to the junkyard under its own power.

Third, the form to be filled out is here. It takes more time than signing your name, but one owner who traded in his 1980s Chevrolet Celebrity said it took him about 10 minutes. He mailed it to the DMV and got the necessary form in a couple of weeks. He took the form and the car to the local junkyard, which took an hour to inspect the car and verify that it had been continuously registered. Once that came through, they handed him a check for $1,000. End of story."

preface 3gees do qualify in cali

Vehicle
    80/Hatch

Has to be less then 25 years old, the program is voluntary, registered/insured/for at least a year, the dealership really gets stuck with all the work on this one, they have to find a company (mostly junk yard or tow company) that will take the old cars off the lot and destroy the engine and transmission & file the paperwork with the government that the car has been sent off to be destroyed and confirm with the company that destroys the engine and trans. The rest of the car can be sold for parts, basically they make the money, thats why in most cases they will be doing it for free with the reward ~$300 scrap and/or possibly good parts they can turn a profit on. The program is expected to run out of money VERY VERY fast!