Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cash for clunkers

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

cash for clunkers

well so far it looks like our cars are safe from the cash for clunkers program, they have to be 1984 or newer,and they have to get 18 mpg or less fuel economy epa rating, also they have to be registered to the same owner for at least a year, and they have to be in running and driving condition. I think we won on the fuel economy, and all the 2 g's and 1 g's will be safe from this program. THANK YOU SEMA!! they got the provisions in that saved our cars.

the epa mileage for the 86 accord is 24 city 27 highway, thats changed to the modern standard the listed standard with the old standard is much higher. so they are safe, also they have really good emissions according to the chart,right near the best end of the chart, i'm sure the mileage goes up towards 89

the rules standards are straight off of the SEMA site,they wanted to protect older cars from being junked.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 06-28-2009 at 10:31 AM.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: cash for clunkers

over here its for any car that fails smog when you go to register your car you can ether turn it over and get $1000 or get them to pay up to $500 to a mechanic to fix it lol.. but i think arnold canceled that program

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

this is good news. Here they crash all older cars, state even suggested to pay well over 1000USD up to 3000USD for old cars. Basically you drive your old car to scrappy and they pay you up to 3k for it. even if list price is lats say 500bucks for that car. They wont to do this to clear all junk that are on the roads today. and they force to press or crush older cars so guys like us dont get parts.. Sad really.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

LX User

"Safe" from the program? I was under the impression it was voluntary...
    1989 Accord LX-I - Brembo f.Rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, ATE fluid
    1996 Mustang Cobra #404 - somewhat stock

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    "Safe" from the program? I was under the impression it was voluntary...
    yeah "safe". The idea was to keep the 3geez that people didn't want from being crushed instead of just sent to the junkyard. If they're crushed then eventually we'll run out of parts for our cars.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

LX User

Parts can still be taken off the cars & sold to junkyards before the crush...
    1989 Accord LX-I - Brembo f.Rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, ATE fluid
    1996 Mustang Cobra #404 - somewhat stock

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

The idea was that the cars would be crushed so junkyard parts wouldnt be available.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

no parts can be removed they have to be destroyed,which makes no sense.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 06-28-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Vehicle

well our cars get too good of a mileage to qualify, plus the ones that have been sitting unregistered can't be junked unless you register the car for a year first. so people can't just turn in un running cars to be crushed. I don't think there's a honda made that gets less then 18 miles to the gallon, looks like a lot of gas guzzling american junk from the eighties will get crushed, most of it gets crushed anyway because people hate those cars. they are a black eye on american car companies, think Chrysler lebarons

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good to know. Stuff like this is good info for the newsletter.
    - Joe

Vehicle

here's the link, the fuel mileage rating of our cars makes them not qualify for the program, anything before 84 doesn't qualify period. so we are safe for the moment, but i urge everyone to join SEMA, they will send you updates on new laws trying to be passed, and keep you informed, they let our voice be heard, http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/...ion-signed-law

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    well our cars get too good of a mileage to qualify, plus the ones that have been sitting unregistered can't be junked unless you register the car for a year first. so people can't just turn in un running cars to be crushed. I don't think there's a honda made that gets less then 18 miles to the gallon, looks like a lot of gas guzzling american junk from the eighties will get crushed, most of it gets crushed anyway because people hate those cars. they are a black eye on american car companies, think Chrysler lebarons
    the G2 legend coupe qualifys saw something about it on acuralegend.org the G1 probley does as well

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    the G2 legend coupe qualifys saw something about it on acuralegend.org the G1 probley does as well
    i checked the epa registered mileage and it gets too good of a fuel mileage

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

yeah and the epa mileage also doesn't know about my mileage. epa estimate for my car is 25 combined i think. my observed is 29 combined and is routinely in the low-mid 30s. if they try to junk my car, they're a damn fool. no way i'm really able to get something with $3000 that's much better than the 3g. but i'd gladly use the $3000 on a down payment of something that is less efficient (i.e. wrx, tl, etc.).

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The idea is to get the old poorly running crap cars off of the road. Our 1992 Camaro qualifies. It gets 18MPG according to the EPA, but in reality gets closer to 15MPG. The cars that have made our short list get 28MPG or more, so we'll be getting $4500 for our poorly running POS when we turn it in.

The version of the law that passed only requires emissions equipment and powertrains to be junked. Other parts can still be salvaged if the junkyard decides to. This will still keep some of these cars in yards for other parts.

A lot of the cars going into the program are going to be older American cars. We'll see a few trucks go that way, but I see a lot of mid to late 80's American V8 cars seeing the furnace sometime soon.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy View Post
    yeah and the epa mileage also doesn't know about my mileage. epa estimate for my car is 25 combined i think. my observed is 29 combined and is routinely in the low-mid 30s. if they try to junk my car, they're a damn fool. no way i'm really able to get something with $3000 that's much better than the 3g. but i'd gladly use the $3000 on a down payment of something that is less efficient (i.e. wrx, tl, etc.).
    is has to be UNDER 18 epa estimated new mileage. if the original estimated mileage is greater then that,it doesn't qualify.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    The idea is to get the old poorly running crap cars off of the road. Our 1992 Camaro qualifies. It gets 18MPG according to the EPA, but in reality gets closer to 15MPG. The cars that have made our short list get 28MPG or more, so we'll be getting $4500 for our poorly running POS when we turn it in.

The version of the law that passed only requires emissions equipment and powertrains to be junked. Other parts can still be salvaged if the junkyard decides to. This will still keep some of these cars in yards for other parts.

A lot of the cars going into the program are going to be older American cars. We'll see a few trucks go that way, but I see a lot of mid to late 80's American V8 cars seeing the furnace sometime soon.
    a lot of eighties v8's were so full of emissions gear and so weak,no one wants them anyway, remember the vette that had 120 horsepower?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yup, and remember the year when the Camaro was faster in every way? We're in a time when we need to get crap off of the roads again. Safety checks help tons, but a lot of states have gotten rid of them. I know I'll be glad to see fewer 80's Caprices on the road. $200 cars with $800 paint jobs and $5,000 rims.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, 07 Civic Si Coupe, 08 Civic hybrid

Shit I hope something like this never affects us, I would like to be driving my 89 Accord in 20 years.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

You don't have to trade your car, it's only an option.

Vehicle

You don't have to trade your car, it's only an option.
    yea but if they destroy a bunch of cars it makes it hard to find used parts

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Used parts for 1986 Caprices?

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

me loves 80s caprices there so gangsta !

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

I hope they re-instate this next year. I'm not in a position to take advantage of it right now, but i want to trade my Rodeo[16/18mpg] in for a Fit or something.

I know I'll be glad to see fewer 80's Caprices on the road. $200 cars with $800 paint jobs and $5,000 rims.
    amen

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd

This is a horrid idea.

Say good-bye you your junk yards....

We buy cars off the street to put in the yard and sell parts. If we can't get cars, there are no new cars to put into rotation. If we don't have cars for rotation, the cars that are there already get more picked apart, which means you get sick of seeing the same old cars here, so you don't find what you need and you don't spend money here. If you and everyone else that enters here continually more and more people do this, we get no revenue therefor we close. Now we are a huge yard, my company is the world's largest automotive recycler, but support your local "mom and pop" yard.

How many times have we all posted a thread with "AWESOME JY Finds Today!!!!" or "Look What I Found!". There will be no more of these posts. So now if you can't find it used, you have to buy it one ebay or from another user on a message board, or buy a donor car. That all ends up costing us more money.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just a miserable idea. In the short term we lose, but also in the long term, WE the people end up paying for this, our tax dollars.

Boo for cash for clunkers.
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.