Thread: easy appearance and safety upgrade for cheap

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

easy appearance and safety upgrade for cheap

Actually in this case it was free, I was looking for a part for the Lincoln, and I came across a Mark series one with the Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror, I know the guy who owns the yard and he just gave it to me in this case, but normally they are cheap, one of the things that drives me crazy, are people riding on my bumper with their brights on, or even badly adjusted lights, it's annoying and a safety issue.as I can't see anything, you can flip the mirror, but it gets annoying, These mirrors are on a lot of Lincolns, as well as several GM cars, and some are in Jeeps, when they were new, they were an expensive option, but when they get 20 years old or so, no one wants much for them. They are very simple to hook up, they have three wires going into a plug on the back side of the mirror, one is ignition power, one is ground, and one goes to the backup light circuit, this stops the mirror from dimming while backing up. I haven't been able to figure out the two power wires yet, but the center wire is ground, you have to cover the photo cell on the front with a piece of tape, hook up one of the power wires, and see if it dims while shining a flashlight into the other photocell. I will let you know when i test it. they will come with a big headlight auto dimming module on the back, this comes off with one screw. I'm not sure on the sedans, but glare has always been a problem for me with the large piece of glass in the hatch.

this is a simple cheap upgrade, which can keep you from being blinded at night. to tell if it's a Gentex mirror, look for a GNX on the back in tiny print, I've been told they are the ones to get. you'll need to glue a mirror shoe on the windshield, I've had one for years, it's a simple cheap kit you can get at any auto parts store.

center is ground

this is the module you want to remove

3Geez Veteran

Re: easy appearance and safety upgrade for cheap

Or you can just flip the mirror. It gets tiring like using a turn signal, yeah? I wouldn't mind getting that green glare crap, though.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Or you can just flip the mirror. It gets tiring like using a turn signal, yeah? I wouldn't mind getting that green glare crap, though.
    well here we will get idiots on these rural roads running up behind you at high speed, blinding you, then going around you, it gets old flipping the mirror over and over, these keep you from having to take your hand off the wheel to keep flipping it, they are photo chromatic

Vehicle

I have this same mirror on the Towncar, and it's really nice to have, you get used to it quick, if you switch it to off, the difference is immediate, it just quietly tints itself every time there's a glare behind you, big difference in driving. The mirror doesn't move, it's an LCD behind the glass