Thread: 1989 accord suspension questions!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 lxi

1989 accord suspension questions!!

So I got incredibly lucky at my local junk yard and found a set of rear discs. I got them put on and the car is lopsided now!

Here is my question. In the rear there are 2 arms that come from the body and attach to the hub. Should these be stiff? On mine they act like springs. You have to use considerable force to hold them down to get the hub mounted. Is this right? I thought that those arms should move freely and with no catching or stickiness. When pulled one way and let go they come flying back with ALOT of force.

Ideas? Help?

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

Re: 1989 accord suspension questions!!

That's the flexing of the rubber bushings. It's supposed to be like that because the bolts bolts are supposed to be tightened while the suspension is under load. If you've got the car jacked up, and your suspension is at full droop, then you're pulling them down from they're normal position. I'm guessing that the lopsidedness is because you tightened the bushings connecting to the hub while the suspension was at full droop, and now the bushings are twisting an excessive amount while under load.

What you should do is put the car on jack stands and then loosen up the bolts that hold the lower arms to the hub. Then use a floor jack to raise the suspension to the point where the car just barely starts to lift off the stand. At that point go ahead and tighten the bolts.
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX

If I may add some questions to this. 89 Accord DX, I have a broken coil spring and plan to redo the front and back suspension. I also have a broken wheel stud and three cross-threaded stud on the same corner of the car as the broken coil spring. The car has 185/70/13 wheels. I want to put 195or185 /70R/15 when I do the suspensoin and replace the front wheel hub assembly will I need to raise the cars hieght? If so can I do this just by installing longer springs, struts, and shocks? If not what is a good kit to buy to raise the cars hieght and how high should I raise it? Thanks for any info.
    Rodney N. Morford

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglebucket View Post
    That's the flexing of the rubber bushings. It's supposed to be like that because the bolts bolts are supposed to be tightened while the suspension is under load. If you've got the car jacked up, and your suspension is at full droop, then you're pulling them down from they're normal position. I'm guessing that the lopsidedness is because you tightened the bushings connecting to the hub while the suspension was at full droop, and now the bushings are twisting an excessive amount while under load.

What you should do is put the car on jack stands and then loosen up the bolts that hold the lower arms to the hub. Then use a floor jack to raise the suspension to the point where the car just barely starts to lift off the stand. At that point go ahead and tighten the bolts.
    ooo i did not know that. it makes sense though. i think it might be a bit late for me to go back and fix it now lol