Thread: 32/36 Weber install

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

32/36 Weber install

Well I broke down and picked up a freshly rebuilt used Weber and then put together the install kit from Jamengineering. The total cost to me was $160, so not a bad deal. I'm not sure how the thing is jetted but I spoke to the shop that rebuilt it and he said it should be fine for a 1.8-2l motor, hopefully he is right. I got the carb put on today, I'll post pics later. I am figuring out the throttle cable and the fuel lines. The stock 3BBL had two fuel inlets from the filter, this carb has the option for two as well but only has one fitting, so I'm going to get a bolt to jam up the other side, I found out they are connected via spilling fuel all over the intake manifold lol. I'll keep you guys up to date on the swap, and will post a video of her first run =)

I am hoping for a good fuel mileage improvement, with the stock carb the best I ever got was 26mpg, and it was unable to pull hills, didn't idle, and was horribly inconsistent. I am so glad to be done with it, I have spent countless hours with my head under the hood of that car trying to figure out that goofy 3bbl and its floats from hell! haha

Cheers

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

Re: 32/36 Weber install

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    with the stock carb the best I ever got was 26mpg, and it was unable to pull hills, didn't idle, and was horribly inconsistent. I am so glad to be done with it, I have spent countless hours with my head under the hood of that car trying to figure out that goofy 3bbl and its floats from hell! haha

Cheers
    I had the same problems as you when I first got my 2gee. but when I rebuilt the 3bbl top hat & reset the timing, I went from 250 a tank to 380. that made me very happy. mine still runs rich from choke problems too. so once I get that fixed Im hoping for 400+ a tank. but anyways Ive always wanted to do the weber swap to mine, glad to hear ya scored on the carb & keep us updated on the mileage improvement. I curious as to what it'll be.
    1982 2gee 4dr Accord Lx 1.8 L EK1 CCVC 5-speed = DD
    1984 2.5gee 3dr Accord Dx turbo A20a3 swap 5-speed = Track car (work in progress)

Vehicle
    84 Accord Hatchback, 92 Nissan 240sx Fastback

wow thats a good price! honda's carbs arnt really simple they are stupid atleast my stripped down 2bbl is just a simple carb now

thanks mkymonkey

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

The other fitting on your new carb is likely a return line. Nothing wrong with jamming it up, but it was designed to send fuel back into the tank so that you always have fresh, cool fuel in the fuel lines, instead of letting it heat up in the engine bay. I honestly don't think it makes much difference, I had mine capped off too.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    The other fitting on your new carb is likely a return line. Nothing wrong with jamming it up, but it was designed to send fuel back into the tank so that you always have fresh, cool fuel in the fuel lines, instead of letting it heat up in the engine bay. I honestly don't think it makes much difference, I had mine capped off too.
    Ya I'm sure you're right. I'm off to find a brass bolt to stick in there hehe

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by ekoms View Post
    I had the same problems as you when I first got my 2gee. but when I rebuilt the 3bbl top hat & reset the timing, I went from 250 a tank to 380. that made me very happy. mine still runs rich from choke problems too. so once I get that fixed Im hoping for 400+ a tank. but anyways Ive always wanted to do the weber swap to mine, glad to hear ya scored on the carb & keep us updated on the mileage improvement. I curious as to what it'll be.
    Ya I most definitely will!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mike View Post
    wow thats a good price! honda's carbs arnt really simple they are stupid atleast my stripped down 2bbl is just a simple carb now
    Seriously, so stupid, I hate it. I want to fill it full of gunpowder and let er rip!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

odd how it got such bad mpg mine was getting 50mpg after the carb got rebuilt ^_^ still ran rich as fuck at idle tho lol

weber ftw tho post picks nao!

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

with u guys getting 50+ mpg's, how are you driving it ? light & easy ? I'm heavy on the gas & climb 20+ miles a day up different mountain top hills. If I was on level ground all the time I think I would get even better mileage.
    1984 2.5gee 3dr Accord Dx turbo A20a3 swap 5-speed = Track car (work in progress)

Vehicle

CAH you always say you got crazy mileage. Sorry bud, but nobody gets 50mpg in an Accord.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Ok we got all of the throttle linkage/fuel line issues resolved. Things are still setting and we were working at night so I A) didn't get to drive to yet, and B) didn't get any pictures of the finished product but I will post up the initial pics I took of the install.

Here is the carb on stop but not bolted down, we ended up rotating it around to make the throttle plates open

The HORRIBLE and UGLY AS SIN stock carb, no black box, no vacuum lines at all really, we spent a day removing all that junk, still ran like garbage lol

No carb =) cleaning up the old gasket residue

Adapter plate fun

Exterior shot for fun haha HAPPY HONDA!!!!!!

and for fun here is the mustang =) my real project =) 290 rear, 12.8 1/4 mile

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

We got the idle set and played with the mixture screws a little, it idles like butter, and is extremely smooth. She also sounds like a beast! I will post video/pics and more info after the victory drive in the morning =)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Well we drove her today finally. She runs real smooth, like a whole new car. There is tons more power overall, but for some reason it didn't get rid of the lack of top end the car has. It runs hard through first but it bogs out in the higher gears, worse and worse as you shift up. Heavy throttle in 3rd 4th or 5th just leads to ping, and engine overheat. It was pinging pretty bad, a little tuning with the timing fixed that. So now it just bogs and heats up, it's strange. I was blaming it on the old carb but its still doing it with the Weber... timing related still? Valve adjustment?

Anyone know how to fix the mysterious power wall?

Vehicle

The power wall is that damn cam. It dies at like 5000RPM. The EK1 is all bottom end. There should be no pinging and overheating htough... Maybe it's lean on the main jets or your timing is still out of whack.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

Ya 5K is for sure its limits, which I'm fine with, I should have been more specific. The motor pulls like crazy through first and second, all the way to 5200 or so, but heavy throttle in 3rd 4th and 5th beyond 3K makes it bog and overheat. Right when it transitions over to that area of power surge, I believe this is where the carb is moving from the idle jets to the main jets... I could be wrong.. it just doesn't pull in those high gears. Whats weird is that the low gears are perfect... so I don't get it.

We adjusted the timing and got rid of the ping completely which is great, the power improved as well too of course. But we can't seem to figure out this 3K and higher issue in the high gears.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    CAH you always say you got crazy mileage. Sorry bud, but nobody gets 50mpg in an Accord.
    He's probably talking about his bike

Vehicle
    82/84 accord

Quote Originally Posted by Naf's Asdf View Post
    He's probably talking about his bike
    He must be, His DD is a Hardrock mountain bike, lol. for me I get like 70+ miles per gallon of water pretty damn good for a smoker , but Im lazy & dont ride it that often.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    Ya 5K is for sure its limits, which I'm fine with, I should have been more specific. The motor pulls like crazy through first and second, all the way to 5200 or so, but heavy throttle in 3rd 4th and 5th beyond 3K makes it bog and overheat. Right when it transitions over to that area of power surge, I believe this is where the carb is moving from the idle jets to the main jets... I could be wrong.. it just doesn't pull in those high gears. Whats weird is that the low gears are perfect... so I don't get it.

We adjusted the timing and got rid of the ping completely which is great, the power improved as well too of course. But we can't seem to figure out this 3K and higher issue in the high gears.
    Well obviously the load is going to be higher in the higher gears especially at higher revs. How's the cooling system on your car doing? Flushed the fluid? New water pump? You can do the water pump without doing the timing belt on these cars amazingly enough. New thermostat? Etc?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord

The radiator seems ok, it never gets hot unless u push it into the unhappy bog zone. I recently flushed the system and the coolant is nice and green. The fans always seem to come on when they need to etc so I think the system is working as it should... I am changing the spark plugs today to see whats up with those. Last night the thing started missing like crazy and pinging. Is it possible my distributor/coil is hosed?

Vehicle

Distributor is a distinct possibility. Can you watch it at idle with a timing light and see if the timing stays steady? If you see the timing moving back and forth, you know something is up with that distributor...

Vehicle
    85 Accord SE-i / 89 Accord SE-i

My Prelude wants to race the Mustang, lol. I'll drag race you only if you agree to race me down a winding road.
    And Thats The Bottom Line... Because Stone Cold Said So!
    Current Vehicles: 03 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 Diesel, 83 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 4x4, 94 Civic 2dr EX 4AT, 99 Civic 3dr DX 5MT