Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best way to cut polyurethane

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: best way to cut polyurethane

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    oh, ok. Mds filled. I have a sample of some of that but never used it. I have turned nylon though, and it does suck. At least with milling you get lots of little tiny tough stringy chips, that are easy to blow away. With turning you get one giant tough stringy chip that wants to take over the world, and has the ability to do it.

C|
    hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weapons of machine destruction

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weapons of machine destruction
    Don't laugh. One OD roughing operation on a large piece of this crap produced a ball of chips large enough for our welder to completely hide inside, and jump out at other unsuspecting employees.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Don't laugh. One OD roughing operation on a large piece of this crap produced a ball of chips large enough for our welder to completely hide inside, and jump out at other unsuspecting employees.
    has Saddam heard about this? oh never mind , last thing I heard he was "hanging" out somewhere

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

It's dry. Full of Moly powder I believe.
    could be, stuff pretty cheap, i used to work a a moly plant stuff stains everything black like graphite , if you want to know its Mo just put some in water, if the water turns blue its got a certain type of Mo

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

I've thought about this myself, and unfortunately, a lot of these products are somehow bonded to metal backers/sleeves etc. The actual machining of the parts is simple, however the bonding requires dedicated manufacturing techniques (such as pouring the insulator around the sleeve or on the backer) that only major manufacturers have the equipment to carry out. If that makes any sense.

For control arm bushings I don't think it would have to be bonded to any sleeves. The poly bushings on my truck for example just slide into the control arm and the sleeves slide into the bushings. The joints do have grease fittings though so that might be the difference. Also, OEM type mounts and bushings always seem to be rubber not poly. Rubber probably wouldn't last as long as poly in a slip fit type application, especially without regular lubing. And OEMs want to minimize maintenance requirements. Anyway I think there are some poly bushings that fit the lower arms aren't there?

For poly engine mounts, they would have to be designed in such a way that the poly is completely captured. Just like the B swap mounts elsewhere in this forum. It eliminates having to bond the poly to the metal and it also makes it so that just the poly can be replaced if it wears out. If you really wanted to bond poly to a metal plate or some such, it might work if the interface surface was textured somehow, like knurling or maybe just coarsely machined. With the poly then poured onto it. It would take some experimentation to get right.

For making motor mounts economically we don't really have the right equipment. The best way to make mounts is to cut the pieces out of say 1/4" steel plate, and then bend (if needed) and weld the pieces together. Plate is best cut with a water jet or laser, which we don't have. It can be done on a mill but it's slower and wastes more material. We don't have any bending machines either. I can weld but that won't help much without the other stuff. We mostly make machines and fixtures for manufacturing, so little if any forming or welding is required. Most everything we make is milled.

Control arm bushings would be easier if they don't need to be bonded to anything. A mold could be machined out of aluminum and casting poly poured in. If it's done right, little to no machining should be required.

C|

Vehicle

The last nylon job I did was with this oil filled nylon that's bright green. The chips were light and fluffy, and colored neon green. When I was done the base and table of the mill were buried in bright green fluffy chips. It looked like a demented cross between a Terminator robot and a Sesame Street monster!

Funny stuff.

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    For control arm bushings I don't think it would have to be bonded to any sleeves. The poly bushings on my truck for example just slide into the control arm and the sleeves slide into the bushings. The joints do have grease fittings though so that might be the difference. Also, OEM type mounts and bushings always seem to be rubber not poly. Rubber probably wouldn't last as long as poly in a slip fit type application, especially without regular lubing. And OEMs want to minimize maintenance requirements. Anyway I think there are some poly bushings that fit the lower arms aren't there?

For poly engine mounts, they would have to be designed in such a way that the poly is completely captured. Just like the B swap mounts elsewhere in this forum. It eliminates having to bond the poly to the metal and it also makes it so that just the poly can be replaced if it wears out. If you really wanted to bond poly to a metal plate or some such, it might work if the interface surface was textured somehow, like knurling or maybe just coarsely machined. With the poly then poured onto it. It would take some experimentation to get right.

For making motor mounts economically we don't really have the right equipment. The best way to make mounts is to cut the pieces out of say 1/4" steel plate, and then bend (if needed) and weld the pieces together. Plate is best cut with a water jet or laser, which we don't have. It can be done on a mill but it's slower and wastes more material. We don't have any bending machines either. I can weld but that won't help much without the other stuff. We mostly make machines and fixtures for manufacturing, so little if any forming or welding is required. Most everything we make is milled.

Control arm bushings would be easier if they don't need to be bonded to anything. A mold could be machined out of aluminum and casting poly poured in. If it's done right, little to no machining should be required.

C|
    energy suspension makes a series of universal poly motor mounts which i think can be adapted over with some work, doesn't the front cross member unbolt from the car? if it had threaded bushings welded in in the correct places some of the universal mounts could be used to replace the front mount easy.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

so wats the verdict wats the best way to cut them iv read alot but not sure havnt cut yet
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

To make a round bushing that stands out short would all u guys agree a lathe is the best way
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by b20a86lude View Post
    To make a round bushing that stands out short would all u guys agree a lathe is the best way

If it's the kind of bushing I think you're talking about (something like the link below) you could use a mill or a lathe. Just depends on availability and preference. I make lots of round parts on a mill because I don't have a CNC lathe. It might also depend on what kind of stock you are starting with. On a mill it's usually easier to hold on to rectangular things, and on a lathe it usually easier to hold on to round things. But you can do both on either.

But if you are really serious about making poly bushings I think it will be easier/cheaper to have a mold made and then use castable poly compound to mold the parts. Squishy materials like poly are not fun to machine. Which means that whomever is doing the machining will want more money.

http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html

C|

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Yes, a lathe. Preferably with soft jaws bored to the OD of the stock. This will increase your holding power. Turn with high speed steel sharpened to an exaggerated positive rake.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"