Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to cut polyurethane

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

best way to cut polyurethane

i was wondering wats the best way to cut polyurethane bushings from energy suspension thnx for help.
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: best way to cut polyurethane

Quote Originally Posted by b20a86lude View Post
    i was wondering wats the best way to cut polyurethane bushings from energy suspension thnx for help.
    lathe, kind of hard to do on a sander, they melt, cut some down years ago to make my front sway bar bushings. stuff is a pain to work with.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

if you freeze it good and proper first, it makes it far easier to do anything with.
    just have to be quick before it thaws and gets soft again

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i would think a dremel would work tho never worked with it so couldnt say for sure
    ive used a knife to cut up rubber bushings tho au

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

i use a drill press as a lathe. lol. it works
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

a mini tourch...just like i did to removal the lower rear shock bushing and it pushed out like a smoor.....melts it like butter..thats only if your trying to removal it

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Depends on what you want to do. If you just need to cut it in half or something simple then a sharp knife might work. Or if you need to machine it then freeze it in dry ice. And use a compressed CO2 blast to keep it cold longer. It might be mill-able too with really sharp tools if you can find a way to hold it down.

C|

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

mini torch and heat the blade of a utility knife or other knife

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

We machine polyethylene, which is a bit more rigid than polyurethane, but still sort of squishy. I've also machined rubber, which is quite a bitch. I've milled it with carbide and high speed steel end mills, but the best way to turn it is to use extremely sharp HSS with tons of rake and relief, a large nose radius, and moderately light cuts. Chucking and holding the material can be a challenge, as it readily changes shape and likes to bugger off under tool pressure.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

lol.. what a thread..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    We machine polyethylene, which is a bit more rigid than polyurethane, but still sort of squishy. I've also machined rubber, which is quite a bitch. I've milled it with carbide and high speed steel end mills, but the best way to turn it is to use extremely sharp HSS with tons of rake and relief, a large nose radius, and moderately light cuts. Chucking and holding the material can be a challenge, as it readily changes shape and likes to bugger off under tool pressure.
    I put it in the lathe then notched it with a cut off tool,and cut it off holding a hacksaw blade while it was turning makes a mess too.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I put it in the lathe then notched it with a cut off tool,and cut it off holding a hacksaw blade while it was turning makes a mess too.
    I can well imagine.

We machine this crap called Nylatron, it makes the stupidest floaty stringy rats nest chips you can imagine. Go too fast and it melts.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yay melty twisty burney plastic shavings! Must be fun in your eye!

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

What exactly are you modifying the bushings to fit?
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle

I can well imagine.

We machine this crap called Nylatron, it makes the stupidest floaty stringy rats nest chips you can imagine. Go too fast and it melts.

Nylatron. I'll remember that. Is it anything like oil filled nylon? I milled some of that a few weeks ago. Went ok with nice sharp tools. Except that it has lots of internal stresses so it warps like a mofo. Was milling PVC today. I quickly discovered the trick for that is low speed and high feed. Otherwise it just melts into a big wad of goo. And it smells horrible.

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Nylatron. I'll remember that. Is it anything like oil filled nylon? I milled some of that a few weeks ago. Went ok with nice sharp tools. Except that it has lots of internal stresses so it warps like a mofo. Was milling PVC today. I quickly discovered the trick for that is low speed and high feed. Otherwise it just melts into a big wad of goo. And it smells horrible.

C|
    Good christ does PVC ever stink. Last week I had to bore out some sort of housings (x3 of them) to press in some nylon sleeves that were machined at some other shop. The smart ass manager at the shop tells me to measure each sleeve, and make the housing a .001 press fit. Except each sleeve runs out .02-.03 on the OD. And one is clearly .01-.015 under the size on the print. Not what I wanted on a Friday afternoon.

Turns out if the nylon bushing is a little tight, the edge of the metal housing shaves it to size before it enters the bore.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

wow guys amazing respones. thnx i got lots of ideas now
    also im modfyin a strut bushing thats tad to big and i need like a inch off of it .
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Yay melty twisty burney plastic shavings! Must be fun in your eye!
    ought to try these hardened castings for my forks, cut with carbide specialty inserts with no coolant,have scars all over my arms from burns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwPL0ogjLw

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    ought to try these hardened castings for my forks, cut with carbide specialty inserts with no coolant,have scars all over my arms from burns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwPL0ogjLw
    Seen it.

I should post up a video of roughing on a lathe at work, it's the orange Csepel I posted pictures of earlier, taking .7" off per side makes some pretty amazing chips. Got scars from that too. I was threading on it one day, and a chip popped off the tool, hit me in the mouth, stuck to both my lips, and burnt my tongue trying to push the thing off my lips.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post

C|
    It's dry. Full of Moly powder I believe.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Seen it.

I should post up a video of roughing on a lathe at work, it's the orange Csepel I posted pictures of earlier, taking .7" off per side makes some pretty amazing chips. Got scars from that too. I was threading on it one day, and a chip popped off the tool, hit me in the mouth, stuck to both my lips, and burnt my tongue trying to push the thing off my lips.
    been there done that, not as bad as the time that piece of metal i had cut off with the angle grinder, cut it off slapped my hat back on and the hot piece of metal was in my hat. had a burn on my forhead for weeks after that.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

So just out of curiousities sake, Cygnus have you ever tried to make your own performance bushings at work? Sounds like you've got some awesome material to play with, you know......when you dont have like uh....work to do.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

It's dry. Full of Moly powder I believe.
    Oh, ok. MDS filled. I have a sample of some of that but never used it. I have turned nylon though, and it does suck. At least with milling you get lots of little tiny tough stringy chips, that are easy to blow away. With turning you get one giant tough stringy chip that wants to take over the world, and has the ability to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    So just out of curiousities sake, Cygnus have you ever tried to make your own performance bushings at work? Sounds like you've got some awesome material to play with, you know......when you dont have like uh....work to do.
    Seems like all I ever do is work right now. It just never seems to translate into very much money. But that's life when you're a small operation.

Never tried to make any performance bushings. It would be more cost effective to cast them though if you wanted to use polyurethane. I've looked into it before but not seriously.

C|

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Unfortunately the money just wouldnt be there to produce them, in all honesty. If i ever came up with the cash, would you be able to fab poly bushings or motor mounts if i provided new, oem grade stuff? This is nowhere in the near future, but just for curiosities sake.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Unfortunately the money just wouldnt be there to produce them, in all honesty. If i ever came up with the cash, would you be able to fab poly bushings or motor mounts if i provided new, oem grade stuff? This is nowhere in the near future, but just for curiosities sake.
    I've thought about this myself, and unfortunately, a lot of these products are somehow bonded to metal backers/sleeves etc. The actual machining of the parts is simple, however the bonding requires dedicated manufacturing techniques (such as pouring the insulator around the sleeve or on the backer) that only major manufacturers have the equipment to carry out. If that makes any sense.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"