Thread: Head identification please...

LX User

Head identification please...

Please let me know if the head on the 1.8(A18A1) is the same as a 2.0 head. The casting on the side reads PH1 then HFZ and numbers 6824. The engine was transplanted in a 1988 coupe and the block it was attached to(A18A1) is @ the machine shop. The carb used was not a sidedraft but had a regular third gen set up .

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: Head identification please...

no
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

I don't think the A18A head that the holed for the injectors in the intake ports.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

not the same head, but close.

We need a pic though, because there were a number of heads that bolt right up to the A20 and A18 (same block casting, but the A20 is bored out to 82.7mm). If it's a PH1, it's definitely not an A20 head (those are PJ0), but the PH1 is very similar. No idea on the exact specs though.

Check out preludepower.com and look in the 2nd Gen 'Lude section for more detailed specs on that head. Specifically, you should try and find stock flow specs (in cfm) and if nothing else, at least the stock valve head diameters and compare them to the A20 (PJ0).

Honestly, if the block is already at the machine shop, what are you having them do to it? If you're having them put bore/hone it and deck it, have them bore it out to 87.5mm and get yourself some PJ0 or PH1 pistons (or PK4) and dump them in. It'll increase your displacement from 1.8~ish to 2.0~ish if you'd like.

While I was at it, I'd also be grabbing an A20 head (again, PJ0) and getting that fitted on. It'll flow a bit better than the PH1 if my guess is right, but then again, I could be talkin out my ass (I honestly don't know).
    -Mark D.

LX User

Thanks for the thoughts. So if I understand it right that head is not from the A18? The block is going to be bored 40 over. Have to check on decking..The pistons and rings were ordered locally from the machine shop. Think Sealed Power. Had hard time finding pistons for the A18.
    Last edited by parkersnine; 08-27-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: mistake...

LX User

This is the A18A head I was referring to.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

There's no way to put a single carb from an Accord on the A18 head. The A18 head had uneven-spaced, round ports, while the A20 head had even-spaced, oval ports with cutouts for injector bungs (even the carb'd heads). I suspect that someone put an A18 block into the car, and bolted the A20 head onto it. It's the only possible way you have an A18 block with a single carb.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    There's no way to put a single carb from an Accord on the A18 head. The A18 head had uneven-spaced, round ports, while the A20 head had even-spaced, oval ports with cutouts for injector bungs (even the carb'd heads). I suspect that someone put an A18 block into the car, and bolted the A20 head onto it. It's the only possible way you have an A18 block with a single carb.
    Yeah but we also know a PH1 is not from an A20. Every A20 I've ever seen is PJ0. Does anyone feel like checking their BS or BT to see what head casting they have?
    -Mark D.