Thread: Help ID Honda starter

DX User

Help ID Honda starter

I pulled a starter from a 3rd Generation Accord LX - Mitsuba 302-02 (06314-PD2-305RM). But it doesn't fit my 1988 Accord LX, which has a Mitsuba 302-18. Honda says Mitsuba 302-02 (06314-PD2-305RM) is replaced by 06314-PD2-305RM, a starter that does fit my car.

Question: What car does a Mitsuba 302-02 fit? I think the donor car might have had a replacement engine/drivetrain because an axle from same car also does not fit my 1988 Accord.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx-i

Re: Help ID Honda starter

well there's different starters for auto and manual trannys....also i think they changed from 86-87 to 88-89...i think...i could be wrong

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The thing about the starters is that if it's a gear reduction starter, and I think all of the ones in the states are, you can take the gear reduction unit from the starter that fits and install it on the good starter. Been there, done that, worked fine.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

I concur with vanilla on this.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

being an sm 302 series starter, it will be a reduction starter.
    you'd prob find that the armature,field housing and intermediate housing are all quite similar through the whole sm302 range but the drive end housing and possibly the drive will be different.
    tho the drive might be the same through the range and just the actual mounting flange and pinion offset that are differant

DX User

I was getting the dreaded clicking sound from starter ... but when I went to remove I noticed the spade connector was fitting loosely so after tightening the problem went away.

But who will volunteer to poke their head under the hood and see if they have a 302-02? I need to sell this now but don't know what it will fit.