Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converting DX to DX-I project.

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Re: Converting DX to DX-I project.

Pull the whole engine and tranny out. Lot easier. You can even get away with just pulling 1 cv, then lifting the pair at an angle untill you can get to the passenger side cv, then just pop it out and there's your tranny!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Today i removed the axles and started to remove the tranny. It was hanging on something and i found it was a thin metal covering plate on the side. It attaches to the tranny case then goes around the engine side of the flywheel. Its attached by two 10mm bolts on the front and back. Why in the world is it attached that way? My tranny has been worked on before by a shop, but they would have had to hold the tranny and engine together then put this thing on in between it and then slap on bottom mounting on top of it.

Anyways i worked on it till 11 tonight but tomorrow i have to get it off and need to borrow a 10mm wrench to get that covering off, i have lost mine.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

That's the dust-shield for the clutch. You can remove that first if you want to.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

If you don't have a 10mm, you're gonna be in trouble!

I would make sure the flywheel cover is back on when you start driving it at least. I mean you don't want a rock getting jammed up in your bellhousing, knocking off your ring gear, or damaging the flywheel or something, do you?

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    If you don't have a 10mm, you're gonna be in trouble!

I would make sure the flywheel cover is back on when you start driving it at least. I mean you don't want a rock getting jammed up in your bellhousing, knocking off your ring gear, or damaging the flywheel or something, do you?
    also if u hit a deep puddle your clutch will slip like mad

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Thumbs up Re: Converting DX to DX-I project.

What a F-ing coincidence that your DX and LXi cars are the same color as mine when I did my swap, except mine were both 5spds. Good Luck man and least you got a garage to work in I had to do it outside

8, 10, 12, 14mm are a must!!!

Here's the link for my swap if your interested https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67669
    Last edited by LewZur; 09-22-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Darwin's rollin over in his coffin, the fittest are surviving much less often

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    That's the dust-shield for the clutch. You can remove that first if you want to.
    The problem we realized was that you cant see the rear bolt untill you get then tranny separated from the engine a little bit. I could have removed the front one.

So i removed that dust shield, and it separated even more but i cannot for the life of me get it apart.

Shouldn't this be far enough, i cannot move it any further without hitting the side wall. In the shop manual it says slide off dowel pins and lower. There is at least a 1 inch gap above the dowel pins at times when struggling with it. that. I'm hoping you can tell me something obvious because this is getting ridiculous.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

remove the timing belt engine mount so you can tilt the engine.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yeah its cought up on the input shaft.. need to tilt it out a bit more... my whole engine was crooked when i did it so it was low enough to slide outlol

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Thanks for the tip. Once i shoehorned the engine i had to pull it off about 7 inches before it disconnected but I got it out and hopefully i didnt bend anything.

I hear the manual tranny is easier, i hope so.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Today i removed the axles and started to remove the tranny. It was hanging on something and i found it was a thin metal covering plate on the side. It attaches to the tranny case then goes around the engine side of the flywheel. Its attached by two 10mm bolts on the front and back. Why in the world is it attached that way? My tranny has been worked on before by a shop, but they would have had to hold the tranny and engine together then put this thing on in between it and then slap on bottom mounting on top of it.

Anyways i worked on it till 11 tonight but tomorrow i have to get it off and need to borrow a 10mm wrench to get that covering off, i have lost mine.
    Generally, I've found that if I'm working on both it's so much easier to pull the engine and tranny together. Not much to it, motor mounts, cv axles, and the down pipe. Maybe that's what the shop did that worked on your 3rd gen.

Vehicle

More and more I try to remove things the way they were put into the car at the factory; much more easier than other ways.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

The manual tranny weighs like 1/3 of that tragedy of a gearbox. It's MUCH easier to get installed. The input shaft is also much shorter and theres a ton more room to fit it in there.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    The manual tranny weighs like 1/3 of that tragedy of a gearbox. It's MUCH easier to get installed. The input shaft is also much shorter and theres a ton more room to fit it in there.
    I wasn't aware of that but I've never messed with an auto. That's good to know I am thinking of buying an auto 2dr and doing the 5spd swap.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah looks good so far...hope you get a nice clutch and flywheel

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Alright guys, this project is still in the works. I havent touched either car since my last post. Since then i have done a lot of work on remodeling the home, grown my business, had another kid, and now its time to get this thing working again. I cant stand driving the 01 Windstar minivan anymore. Its a gas hog and handles fat walrus on ice. Give me some motivation to get this thing working by the summers end.

By the way i plan on doing a full restoration, not just swapping parts, so its a lot more work than the typical carb to fi conversion.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I have a confession, I have a nice 3G sitting in my garage that I have neglected. I want to fix it up but I hardly have had the time in the past year, but now I'm getting serious about getting it up and running. I'm going to sell a crappy van after ford completes the recall hopefully in April, then use that money to restore this car.

I told my 3 year old son that we would go out and get ice cream when we fix the Honda and he reminds me everyday about it. He thinks is going to be a 20 min fix.

So I'm serious about getting this project done this summer, i really miss driving it and I'm tired of these gas prices in a 17mpg van.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 LX-i Hatch

haha your son sounds like my little nephew. congradulations on the home buisness and new baby! sounds like you have a nice life going for you man. get some work done on that baby though! this would be way beter gas mileage then the van and you would look cooler in it theres some motivation for ya!
    Low loud lovin it!
    bosozoku inspired 86 LX-I hatchie
    ~~~~~~~IG @the_boso_3g~~~~~~~

Vehicle

It took me about three weeks but i finally got the garage cleaned up last night. I had piles of stuff under the cars, around the cars, ontop of the cars, and some in the cars. There were four 5 gallon buckets i filled up with saw dust with all the wood project and table saw use. I also added more lights toward the garage door, there wasnt any on that side of the garage so it was pretty dark, but now its got 12 light bulbs. Heck it even pretty bright under the cars, lol. So now there is at least 3 feet of clear space all around each car. I'm also hiring my neighbor kid to help me, i have a simple jobs for him such as moving parts over or taking out the tranny so i can rebuild it. I've wanted to do it all myself but i simply will never get it done if i try to do it all by myself so thats why i need the help.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

ooo that looks fun. wish i could help

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

your car brings back memories of when you got married and you used your 3gee. I wish i can do that too...lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    your car brings back memories of when you got married and you used your 3gee. I wish i can do that too...lol
    Hah yes, sometime I'll create a memories in the honda thread.

It was worked on a little today and I found a few spots of rust that concern me. I initially was going to do rust repair but then after a couple years I just wanted to get it running and fix the rust later. But now after today I may have to fix some rust spots before getting it running such as if ther is a rust spot under the gas tank and hard to reach areas like that. So I was looking at the welders available and am not sure what to get. I only have 120v outlets in the garage but not sure what type is best for a novice and simple projects. I'm reading the other welder threads for info.
    Last edited by conozo; 06-28-2012 at 03:29 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-I

Harbor Freight is running a deal on a simple Flux Cored Mig machine, I think it's like $99 for it. Just make sure you do a lot of practicing on spare metal before you start to weld on your own. And get good at contour grinding.
    If it goes faster than 115, it isn't really a Honda anymore.

Vehicle

My brother-in-law has a small welder, i don't know what kind but we'll make it work for the few spots I need it in.

This morning I was going to take the manual transmission out of the parts car and got stuck on the bottom mount. I took 4 bolts out and it seems to be hanging on the rubber mount. Any tips?
    Last edited by conozo; 07-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

take off the crossmember?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned