Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converting DX to DX-I project.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Converting DX to DX-I project.

I got the tranny out, the mount stays on the cross member but there is this thin metal cover for the clutch that has to be undone. I had the same problem with the auto, it seems like you have to inch the tranny away then you can get to the bolts from the space between the tranny and engine. ??? Also got the head off today, it looks like my engine was burning oil from leaky valve guides or something. I'm glad to see that it looks rebuilt and there's no signs of overheating since i had all those overheating issues with the radiator hoses hooked up backwards a few years ago.

Edit: I got the tranny off and looked at the fifth gear, it looks good but I did find a mangled up snap ring in there. So now I'm waiting on my brother inlaw to help me with the transmission. They just are moving into a new house so I hope he has time to help me soon. In the mean time I got to clean the head gasket off the engine, do I just use a razor blade? And how do you keep the stuff out of th cylinders.
    Last edited by conozo; 07-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Got a lot done yesterday, i was able to work all day on it. Got the rebuilt head head on, and moved the intake and some other parts over along with part of the wiring harness. I figured out that if you remove the coolant pipe under the intake you can reach in there with a short 12mm box end wrench to reach all the intake nuts. I tried adjustable sockets with no success.

New Project deadline, end of this month (August)

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I need help finding a few items. We took the tranny apart and its in really good condition. All i need is the 5th gear synchro and spring, the two lock nuts on the ends of the shafts and then all the seals. I can find the kits but they include all synchros and bearings which i dont need.
    Last edited by conozo; 08-16-2012 at 09:13 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Sorry guys I purchased the last 5th gear synchro set from Honda in the USA at least (They call it the 5th gear sleeve set, it includes everything but the two gears) I have not found the two gaskets for the transmission, so i will have to make my own which isn't that big of a deal.

I've spent about two weeks looking for those parts calling just about every place in the USA i could find. A tip for anyone looking for hard to find parts is to call again later and get someone else. I've had a few instances where the first person i called just said "no we dont have anything" then i call later and get someone else and they look into it and find one available that they can order, so be persistent.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I have a question, I'm making the two gaskets for the tranny so when I install them do I need to also use RTV sealer along with the gasket or is just the gasket good enough?

I got some kind of paper gasket from o'rileys.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

all my honda trans have some kinda white sealant around it so yeah i would use something

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Still working on the car here, i tried to finish it before winter but that didnt happen so im shooting for this summer. I took two days off to work on it, and got the tranny in, engine wiring harness, other misc items, and timing belt. But i am having an issue with the timing belt. I cannot seem to get it tight. I was wondering how the tensioner works. Does it tighten the belt as you screw in the bolt or is the tension related to that little spring. I've read the timing belt post and it seems i just have to try again to get it right, then rotate the engine a couple revolutions to make sure its right.

I almost had a huge setback yesterday, i was bolting on the cover that goes over the flywheel/clutch on the bottom and the small bolt slipped into the speed sensor hole. I was working under the car and didnt see it but immediately knew what happened. It sounded like a plinko game as it bounced down into the transmission. After an hour or so i finally fished it out with a magnet, it was about 6-7 inches in there and all i could see was a few threads of the end of it. I was very relieved when I got it out especially since i just rebuilt it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You need to tension the belt before tightening the tensioner. Turn the crank counter-clockwise a little bit to draw up the belt tight on the left side (facing the belt), then tighten the tensioner bolt.

Good thing that you got that bolt fished out. It's a best practice to plug holes like that with rags, paper towels or tape. Even if you don't drop bolts into them, dust and other debris will get in there.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

So i took the tensioner off to figure out how it worked. The tension is all based on that spring BEFORE you tighten the bolt. I drew up the slack on the front of the engine and tightened the tensioner bolt but it still seems too loose. Does that spring need replacing, i did a quick look online and couldnt tell if the spring comes with the tensioner or not. My tensioner only has about 20k miles on it btw.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

For me, it's a pretty good struggle to get the belt on. If yours went on real easy, then I'd say change the spring.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Thanks snooz, i got the timing belt tight all around by turning the crank to keep the belt toward the front of the car taught while i tightened the tensioner. It helped me to take the tensioner off and see how it worked, i assumed that the spring would adjust the tension after you tightened the bolt, but thats not the case.

My next question is brakes. My original brakes worked but i had to push them pretty hard to stop. So i am swapping the front brakes since they are larger but I was wondering, if on the parts LXI the pads were worn uneven, meaning one pad was hardly worn and the other was very worn, is this caused by the caliper bracket sticking and not necessarily the caliper itself. I'm also going to get a new brake booster and all the stuff since the other one was weeping and im not sure of the condition of it.
    Last edited by conozo; 04-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I would guess that's caused by the sliders that the calipers are held on by are either siezed or not lubricated very well

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Ditto on the caliper guide pins. Were they crusty when you pulled them?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

I was guessing it was the caliper guide pins too, I wanted a second opinion. They were mostly dry, so i cleaned everything off and put new grease in there.

Are the main relays (under the dash) interchangeable for carb and fi. I've got two similar boxes and dont know which one is which.
    Last edited by conozo; 09-05-2013 at 09:04 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

So i need a tiny coolant hose. Its the one that goes from under the throttle body to the Fast idle control. Its part 14, "Hose B Fast idle control" on majestic honda parts. The auto parts store doesnt have one small enough in diameter. My question is where can i get one and what are the measurements for it, are they in english or metric, its about 7mm ID and 13mm OD.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    So i need a tiny coolant hose. Its the one that goes from under the throttle body to the Fast idle control. Its part 14, "Hose B Fast idle control" on majestic honda parts. The auto parts store doesnt have one small enough in diameter. My question is where can i get one and what are the measurements for it, are they in english or metric, its about 7mm ID and 13mm OD.
    When I replaced mine last December shortly after getting the 89 LX-i i found that on mine it was not a u bend hose but a 90 degree bend. I found the replacement at Autozone. I was able to find all but part 24 on that seam page between Autozone and Oriely's. for part 24 I found a multi-bend small hose at Napa that had the right bends and straight sections between them and the next bends to replace that hose. Unfortunately I do not remember the part numbers form the hoses. For the 2 larger hoses that go into the tee I used straight hose since the bends were minimal.

I think the 90 degree bend hoses were all Dayco part number B86800. The ID is slightly larger at .31 inches or 7.8mm.

Vehicle

Yes it is 90 degrees but i figured that i would cut half of it off. I'll go to the autostore and check out the hose you mentioned. Majestic honda does say they have it but its $18 for a 3 inch hose. Also when i search 7mm online all i get is the silicone hoses, i dont know much about the silicone, like if it last as long or what so im just keeping all my hoses the same instead of having a mix of them.

This is the last hose i need, replacing all the hoses has been an expensive project. I think i've paid $200 in hoses. 6 years ago i replaced all the carb hoses and i think it was $60 for all genuine honda hoses.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Hey guys, its me again. Ran into a trouble spot before I attempt to start the car. I'm trying to tighten the pulley bolt. I have the car on the ground, e-brake on, blocks behind wheels, tranny in 1st gear, and I cannot tighten it. What happens is that i turn it 100 degrees or so then it feels like it springs back. Its been so long i dont know if i already tightened it to spec when i had the tranny off but either way i feel like the spring feeling is not normal and i should at least be able to check it with my torque wrench.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Are you referring to the crank pulley? If so, you're essentially torque loading the drivetrain when you tighten it. When you let go, it will want to unload again by springing back.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

yes the crank pulley. So am i just being a wuss and need to put more muscle in it?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Well, 134 ft-lbs is a lot so you'll have to work for it. And if it's going to break something, it's probably better to break it in the garage than out on the road.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

I'm trying to start the car and it wont even turn over. I have a new battery. What it does is the PGM and oil light are on, then when i go to crank it the brake light comes on. I am pushing the brakes and the rear brake lights are turning on. so then i tried pulling up the E-Brake and the brake light stays on with the key in like it should.

I dont even know how to start a car with a stick. I have it in "nuetral" the clutch pressed down and the brake pressed down. I'm going to look at the wires in the steering column to make sure everything is plugged in but my real question to you is "do you have to press the brake and clutch to get the car to start?"

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Got the starting figured out, it was the little black and white wire on the starter was disconnected and i had to tap it with a hammer. But now it wont run. I think its a fuel issue. took the lines off the fuel filter in the engine and did not see any fuel. Even tried starting it with the service port open to see if any would appear and its dry. Its been 5 years since it last ran, im hoping its just a fuel pump and not clogged fuel lines.

Is the fuel pump suppose to run when you have the key turned to position II even before you try to crank it?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Yeah the fuel pump is supposed to prime for a bit before you crank it.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

So i checked the voltage at the pump and there is none. Does this lead me to the main relay? My only test i have done is compared the sounds with and without the fuel pump fuse it. With it in i do hear a click sound at first which makes be believe that the main relay is working? Speaking of main relays, i may have gotten the LXI and DX ones mixed up, is there any difference?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I