Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Converting DX to DX-I project.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: Converting DX to DX-I project.

I'm glad that this project is still going on. Good luck with the trans!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Rebuilding these trannies is problematic. The manual gives a bunch of specs for tolerances that you should check when you are examining your hard parts after tear down. You are supposed to check certain surfaces for scoring, others for diameter, still others for end play, etc. If the parts are out of spec, you should replace them. If you're a careful rebuilder, you'll measure all those tolerances to make sure that the hard parts you are putting back are still good. The problem is that they are never good. I've opened up a fair number of Honda transmissions and in every single case, the hard parts are out of spec. And I'm not talking about one or two items out of spec in an otherwise perfectly good trans. I mean, every single measurement, for every single part, is out of spec. Wherever Honda says to look for a potential problem, you'll find that problem. In other words, by the time you go to rebuild a Honda trans, it is well and truly worn out, according to Honda's specs. Because of Honda's miserable support for enthusiasts and collectors, replacement hard parts are simply not available. I spent a Saturday afternoon rummaging through some local shop's scrap pile years ago, looking for acceptable mainshafts, countershafts, needle bearings, valves (it was an auto that I was rebuilding), etc. I think I left with two parts when I needed ALL of them. They were by no means good parts either. They were crap. Better crap than I had, maybe, but crap just the same. The unappetizing choice that confronts you when you get into a trans rebuild is to throw out your crap trans and try to find slightly better crap, or to put all those worn out parts back into the trans you have and hope.

I would guess that your mainshaft was marginal to begin with. It might have been an oiling problem, or damage from a drag race, or overheating from a trunk full of luggage on a steep mountain grade, or God knows what. A new or better mainshaft didn't exist, so the put-it-all-back-in-and-hope option was exercised. Realistically, it's not like there was another option.

The sad reality is that these are disposable transmissions. When I rebuilt my 3g trans, I think I went through 5 different trannies looking for something decent. One was obviously burned up when I opened it. One had broken gears. One had a cracked case. One looked okay, but grenaded itself within 300 miles of the rebuild. I think the shafts were bent. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc....... I swapped most of these trannies out on warranty before the wrecking yard informed me that there were no more trannies available......in the continental US. I finally bought a decent rebuilt unit from mantrans.com and I'd recommend them. Somehow they are able to cobble together working transmissions from the surfeit of scrap metal that is used Honda transmissions. I don't know how, but they do it.

Good luck.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Time for another 6 month check-in.

I've got replacement parts for all the gears, bearings, sleves, etc that were all messed up. Im now putting it back together. I'm at the synchronizer hub between 3rd and 4th gear. The manual doesn't state which way this gear points. The middle part is offset by 0.1mm. I am inclined to have it opposite of how the old one was since the old one was chewed up but i would like some real proof that its suppose to be this way or any way at all.

Notice how the gear has a dot and line near the teath, this is only one one side of the hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170212_203017_LI (Small).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	8028
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170212_201701 (Small).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	8029

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

We'll i just put the tranny back together and said a little prayer.

My next question is that i just broke the bolt flange on the VSS when putting it back on the transmission. I guess it wasnt seated right when i put it on. I think i can get it welded back on but now im questioning if i have the right one. I think i just left the VSS from the automatic transmission on the car when i did the swap, do i need to find a manual transmission one. My hope is that the gear on the end is the same size but worst case is that my speedometer is off and i can switch it later.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

i have a couple of spares for the manual transmission i will give u one all u have to do is pay for shipping

Vehicle

I got it all back together and took it for a little spin around the block. Had a huge gas leak at first, I think that my pressure regulator isn't working correctly but works enough test drive the car. It was spewing gas out of every ejector. I blew air through the return fuel line and its good, took the regulator apart and blew air through it, it flowed through but i have no idea if its working at the correct pressure. So I'm in the market for one of those to be safe.

Drove in gears 1,2,3 and reverse just fine, Didn't get going fast enough for 4 or 5th gear. So far so good.

rushell, im going to take you up on that offer, i think i would like one as a spare and also to make sure i have the correct one.

Still lots to do and things to get in order. First I'm blowing a fuse everytime i turn the dimmer up for the dash lights, 2nd theirs a rubber grommet on the firewall that im having a heck of a time getting on and its causing water to leak in the cabin if I leave it out in the rain. Then a bunch of tidying up the wires etc in the engine bay and under the dash. Timing, alignment, tires, double check all the bolts, interior carpets and seats.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Big day yesterday. Got the interior back in and made mutiple trips around town. Still needs an alignment and tires but it does drive. Transmission works fine. I took the kids to get ice cream since I promised it to them 8 years ago.

I cant believe it's been that long and that it works. I surprised everyone who knew about the project by just showing up at their house, they all though it would never be finished.

Props to anyone else who has done this. My only tip, don't gut two cars then wait 6 years to put it back together, do it in one month at least. I had just got busy with life that's why i took so long.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1979 Honda Accord LX Hatch

Congrats! Way to stick with it.

Glad the kids finally got their ice cream.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Congratulations! Very cool stuff.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Got some new tires and an alignment. It drives real smooth and quiet. The only issue I have is an intermittent pgmfi code of 1. My oxygen sensors are new. I did put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in because some old gas clogged things up. It seems to be getting better the more I drive it with fuel injector cleaner in there. So I'm just going to drive it and see how it goes.

This weekend I'm going to check all the bolts and soon I will take it on a 100mile road trip.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Got some new tires and an alignment. It drives real smooth and quiet. The only issue I have is an intermittent pgmfi code of 1. My oxygen sensors are new. I did put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in because some old gas clogged things up. It seems to be getting better the more I drive it with fuel injector cleaner in there. So I'm just going to drive it and see how it goes.

This weekend I'm going to check all the bolts and soon I will take it on a 100mile road trip.
    Road trip what kind of fuel filter are using

Vehicle

I did change it after I ran it for a bit. Its just an AutoZone one, GP Sorsen or something.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

glad to see u got it running great

Vehicle

I did change it after I ran it for a bit. Its just an AutoZone one, GP Sorsen or something.
    What psi is your afpr set at and are you useing a 5speed ecu
    Last edited by Shane86; 07-29-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Vehicle

Yes I'm using a 5 speed ecu and it's set to 38 psi and seems consistent. It's under the hood so I cant see it when I get the pgmfi light. Also when I do get the light it does feel like the car has a slight stumble like a missfire for a few seconds or something that feels similar. It doesn't last long.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Yes I'm using a 5 speed ecu and it's set to 38 psi and seems consistent. It's under the hood so I cant see it when I get the pgmfi light. Also when I do get the light it does feel like the car has a slight stumble like a missfire for a few seconds or something that feels similar. It doesn't last long.
    That is the kind of feel that I felt when I had a broken oxygen sensor after 20 miles it would jerk like it was out of gas. Have you thought about running a wire from pin c16 directly to the one wire oxygen sensor

Vehicle

I have thought about running a new wire after I double check a few other things and run more gas through it.

I am confused by the shop manual diagnostics for the O2 sensor. It makes it seem like there is only one sensor and I assume I am measuring the voltage from the O2 sensor wire and NOT the engine harness wire.

Could a missfire, weak spark, or bad timing cause the pgmfi light code 1?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I have thought about running a new wire after I double check a few other things and run more gas through it.

I am confused by the shop manual diagnostics for the O2 sensor. It makes it seem like there is only one sensor and I assume I am measuring the voltage from the O2 sensor wire and NOT the engine harness wire.

Could a missfire, weak spark, or bad timing cause the pgmfi light code 1?
    I have a 86 I only have one oxygen sensor I know the later models have 2. Pin B11 is a secondary oxygen sensor on later models

Vehicle

Just want to close this thread.

The car is running. Got many drivability items sorted out. There are still many things due to the cars age and miles but not necessarily because of the FI conversion.
    The PGMFI light was caused by the exhaust header falling off the header. A few bolts one the head stripped so i had to drill out a few then put a helicoil in there. Since then its been fine. I have put about 2500 miles on it since the conversion.

Next project is to make it my daily driver and make it perfect one part at a time.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Congrats. You're in a very exclusive club now.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Which helicoil did you use? I have a stud that's threaded out and is leaking a bit..
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle

I'll go look for the box in the garage tomorrow and update this post.

I did also buy a 12" flexible drill attachment so i could drill the hole out without taking the engine or anything else out. I drilled very slow so the hole was not too big.

Edit
    I used Helicoil pack 5546-8
    M8x1.25
    Drill Size 21/64
    R1084-8
    Last edited by conozo; 01-18-2019 at 07:12 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Baller, I'll try that out. Thanks for checking!
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.