Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converting DX to DX-I project.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Converting DX to DX-I project.

I Finally got the car started and running!!!! Its been 5 years! I thought it was the main relay but couldn't find my other one in the garage two nights ago and part of last night. So i said a prayer to Saint Anthony who helps you find lost things. Then there it was sitting right on top of the car. I tested both using the instructions from the shop manual and the one i had in there was completely dead (not sure why both internal relays stopped working as it was just sitting there) and the one i just found worked just fine. Plugged it in and the car started right up but only ran it for a second. Went to look for major leaks and there was gas all over the place in the engine. All over the fuel filter and all the injectors. I thought maybe the pressure was too high. It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from, i put rags over certain areas, turned the key to II to let the fuel pump run and spray gas everywhere, and found it was coming from the flared gas line connection to where the new fuel line was added. I had a very hard time getting that bolt off and it wasnt tightened all the way. I couldn't find the torque specs for that bolt but i think i put 60 on it before it stopped leaking. The next problem i ran into was no oil pressure when i started the car for a couple seconds, i figured there was a lot of air in the system. so i very slightly over filled the oil to just above the dipstick dot. That worked and pressure was just were it was supposed to be.

My next step is to put the front fenders back on, bumpers, and exterior lights. Then get it out on the road to test. I have one minor problem with getting it out of the garage, my door which is 16x7ft and solid wood from the 50s doesnt have any springs or opener. To get the car in the garage I had rigged up a pulley system involving pulleys and aircraft cable from harbor freight. I hope i can get it out of the garage without anything falling or breaking. The garage door is estimated to be 1000lbs and the garage door companies in town wouldn't put new springs on it because they didn't have any that strong or that big. Needless to say I will be getting a new garage door after this so that the Honda can park in the garage for safe keeping at night and during bad weather.
    Last edited by conozo; 06-19-2014 at 04:03 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Glad to hear that! I remember reading about this project years back omg its been that long!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Glad to hear that! I remember reading about this project years back omg its been that long!
    Well when i started I had one 3 month old and i though it was going to take me a month. But now 5 years later we have 3 kids and my business has been keeping me very busy. So i really only had a few hours a week to work on it but most of the time I just wanted to relax since i had been working all week. I did want to fix up the body since it has some rust issues but i figure i can do that while still driving it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Congrats on getting her running! I've lifted some old garage doors like you describe. They are astoundingly heavy without springs. Blown disc heavy.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Got the car out of the garage tonight. I was going to take it for a test drive but my headlight motors were spazzing out so i didnt want to drive it light that. I think i may just need to swap the motor relays.

I do have an interior light electrical problem. The fuse blows either instantly or a few minutes in. So I got to figure that out because there are no dash lights at the moment and i cant drive at night.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

man i remember this thread from like 11000 years ago! glad to see you finally got her running and on the road again! thought she may of ended up in the crusher by now :'( glad shes alive and being resurrected !

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

I actually drove it around the block tonight. It was a pretty rough ride with wires all over the place, dash lights not working, and the smell of burn sawdust that landed on the engine from my woodworking projects. But it drove and that's a big milestone.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Woohoo!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Hold the celebrations just a minute. I tried to work on it again tonight, I tried to adjust the timing and i could not see the mark on the flywheel at all. I guess ill have to put it at TDC to make sure there is one at all. So i just turned the distributor until it felt like it ran smoother for now.
    After that i had the shifter in neutral and revved the car a little to 2500, then revved it to 3500 and it just died instantly like it slipped into gear. After that i tried to put it in reverse and back up and I could not get it to move, it would stall, same with first gear. Then with the engine off i was trying to shift in all the gears, it seems like im getting them in all the gears except 5th. I believe i have the clutch cable adjusted correctly, I have not replaced the shifter bushings, and I was able to push the car back and forth when it was in neutral and there were no grinding noises at anytime.

Edit: the tranny fluid level is good and with the car off I may be able to get it into 5th, it is harder to get into than the other gears but i think it did feel like it was actually going in if i shifted quickly. The clutch is definitely disengaged because when i slowly release it, it starts to catch like it normally did the other day when i drove it.

Edit 2: I did get it to move in reverse today (didnt try the other gears as im a little afraid) and also had it in nuetral then tried to start the car without the clutch and it jumped forward. So it seems to me that the shifter bushings are bad and not letting me put it all the way in gear. What do you guys think.
    Last edited by conozo; 07-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Finally got rid of the parts car. This will give me much more room to work in the garage. Plus a new garage door and opener is on the way!. We have been parking outside since we bought the house 6 years ago so this will be a nice change.
    I'm excited to get the garage cleaned up and functioning. No more daddys big mess in the garage and no more stepping over everything to get in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140716_102459_Android.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	6401

Name:	20140716_104624_Android.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	6402

Name:	20140716_105650_Android.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	6403

Got $190 for it by the way, no transmission, and no interior so it didnt weight quite as much as a regular car.
    Last edited by conozo; 07-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Got $190 for it by the way, no transmission, and no interior so it didnt weight quite as much as a regular car.
    $190!? They offered me $170 for mine. My dad decided to order some new parts and it runs fine again!

Vehicle

I still haven't really drove this thing, i was waiting on someone for a few exhaust bracket welds since they were rusted when replacing the shifter bushings.

Here is my problem that i need help with.
    The 5 speed tranny is locking up. Today i took it for a drive around the block, I had it in first and was idling around the block with no gas or clutch pushed then the front axles locked up at random. It was like i just slammed on the brakes. Started it up and continued driving around the block. Pulled in the driveway and attempted to reverse to straighten it out. Its frozen, no matter how much gas i give it it will stall when letting go of the clutch. The clutch is new and the tranny was rebuilt by my brother in law. I have a feeling its a tranny issue but i don't know how. I am able to put the shifter into each gear when parked. Last time i got it out of the frozen/stuck mode by putting it into neutral and pushing the car a few inches.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

bump

A few more things. I guess it does kinda grind when driving or even pushing the car when its off and in neutral. I initially thought it was the bad tires and out of alignment tires but its not. Yesterday I tried to back it up and it wouldn't budge, it wouldn't budge in first either but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th were able to move forward. I'm going to study the tranny manual and see if the locking in first and reverse are my clue.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

sounds like your brother inlaw didnt do a very good job

Vehicle

maybe true, but he at least had rebuilt a jeep 5 speed and i hadn't.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Not going to be able to work on the Accord this summer like i hoped. I will be spending all my free time finishing our basement and finishing up our fixer upper house. The basement work includes a bedroom, full bath, living room, kitchen. I'll post a rendering of it later but its for my mother in law to live there (not a bad thing). As for the rest of the house i have to replace a couple windows, put in a new window in a wall, turn our one and only large bathroom into two bathrooms, build a pantry, and in the laundry room put a utility sink and counter to fold clothes. It all involves alot of work with structure, plumbing, electrical, etc. I hope to get it all done so i can be done working on the house. We've been there for around 7 years now.

As for the Accord, dont worry, i have full restoration plans to it. I start it every few weeks and let it run. It needs the transmission sorted out to be able to drive but before i really get it back on the road it needs full body work to remove rust and repaint. If you saw my other post i purchased a 2000 Honda Insight and thats my daily driver as it gets 60-70MPG, its a good car so it will buy me lots of time to get the accord up and running then eventually the plan is to have the Insight as the business car for my employee and i drive the accord as my daily driver/work car. By then the car will be 30 years old but I dont care, everything will be new or only 5 years old on it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

my interior's not too bad except for the half broke armrest

galaxy note 5 handyhülle
    Last edited by Innsjioa; 08-30-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Man sieht nur mit dem Herzen gut, das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar. hulle6

Vehicle

Update: Basement project is just about done. I just have some trim left and a couple doors to put in. Everything went extremely well even the copper plumbing and duct work. It was a ton of work, I felt like those shows where they build a house in 24 hours but in this case it was just me. I worked three 20 hour days in a row to get drywall, mud, paint, and linoleum floor down before the carpet came. I'll put some before and after pics soon.

As for the Accord, I still have a question that's been boggling my mind. If you read my previous post you see a transmission issue. To recap. It was rebuild by my brother in law, pretty much the only bad thing was 5th gear synchro and had 230k miles but everything was in spec. I purchased a new clutch kit and installed it. The problem is that it gets stuck and the car wont move. I've been driving in 1st and it just totally locked up and came to a screeching halt. Started it up again and was able to drive around the block just fine. 2nd issue sometimes when moving it around my driveway, I cannot get it to move, no matter how much gas I give it, it wont move and will stall. If I get out and push it an inch even in neutral, I will be able to start it and go into reverse and 1st. It does feel like it can shift into all gears when the car is on/off. Also one time we pushed it when the car was off and it seemed a little difficult with a metal scraping sound. I assumed it was rusty brake disk but i'm not sure.

So do you guys have any input. Since i'm just about done with the basement project, I want to get this running again. Did I screw up the clutch? If it is the tranny, how is it doing it, its like its going into two gears at once.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Yay about the basement! It'll be great to have that sorted.

As for the trans problem.. well I don't really know much but maybe the job was terribly done. However before assuming something internal make sure to check the simple things, does your clutch cable have free movement? Is it actually moving the arm? Are the pedals damaged at all/restricting movement? It's curious though because it sounds like it's getting into gear but not all the time? It could be a clutch install issue but I don't see that being too realistic.. but I guess it's possible. Sorry I'm not much help but I haven't had anything like this before.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

Updates:

Surprised how easy it was to get the entire engine out, only took about 4 hours and that included getting a longer chain for the lift. Now for taking the transmission off and apart to see whats wrong. I hope i actually find something obvious.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Trans problem sounds odd. Maybe clutch related. Hope you get it going soon man. I know how it is looking at ur baby and not knowing whats wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

Got the transmission apart today. Found some long metal shavings on the magnet which matches with the grinding sound i was hearing. Turning the shafts also makes it grind. After looking at it I think what is happening is that the countershaft has 1/4" play up/down and therefore the gear selectors are in the "wrong spot" and instead of locking say the 2nd gear and 2nd synchro together, its locking the 2nd gear with the 4th gear synchro for example i think.

I still need to take it apart more to get a better look and to see why the countershaft has so much play. Nothing i saw looked like it was chewed up so far. The scraping is the bottom gear on the countershaft rubbing against the Bearing plate retainer. Shop manual 14-5, part number 45 if anyone wants to take a look.
    Last edited by conozo; 07-10-2016 at 07:24 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

False alarm on the shaft play, I forgot that when you put the nut on the end of the shaft it pulls it up therefore it's not scraping against the bearing plate. I took the counter shaft apart and did a visual inspection, all looked good. With the main shaft, I got stuck on getting the needle bearing off in order to look at the other gears and synchros. So nothing so far, still hoping for something obvious.

Now that I've taken it apart, it's really a simple transmission and I'm not sure where there is room for error when assembling.
    Last edited by conozo; 07-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

More investigating. The mainshaft is the problem. The needle bearings are messed up, just spinning the gears makes a bad noise. First i had a hard time getting a needle bearing off to even slide the gears off. Once i did, i found that where the parts mate, it was scored and with sharp metal bits embedded. Almost seems like it was rubbing so much that it melted a thin layer of metal then it cooled in little blob/fragments. I say this because there are metal fragments that are clearly stuck onto the gears. So why did it do this, was the nut on the end of the shaft tightened too much? Was is that when reassembling some of the interchangeable parts were switched around from gear to gear causing uneven wear patterns to mate? I still cannot figure out how it would just seize, the grinding noise is obvious now but not seizing.

So i guess so far i am on my quest for another transmission. Odds are not good, I've been looking at all the junkyards in a 4 hour drive of me for over the past year and haven't seen a single 3gee. I have seen a couple of automatics on craigslist but no manuals.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I