Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hondamonster build thread

Hondamonster build thread

Ok, so I bought my '89 lx sedan off nskforlife a couple years ago just cause he's a buddy of mine and needed to get rid of the car. tranny died on him and he didn't have time or space to fix, too many cars, needed cash, yadda yadda... offered it to me for a couple hundred bucks so i picked it up and tossed in a pullapart tranny. i planned to just sell it but it turned out to be a great car, so i decided to keep it for a daily driver since my prelude likes to break down once in a while.

*** side note, I'm a long-time member of preludepower and currently own a 90 prelude si, (august '08 potm!!) so if interested in that check it out here- http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=273831 ***

anyway, so i drove the accord everywhere. here's a few random pics i took of it, in chronological order.
    just after getting it running-

then threw on my crx si wheels just for giggles

then, uh... canoe trip. lol

then suspension and brakes

new stance! :]

Re: Hondamonster build thread

got the interior almost perfect on it just cause they're so common in the junk yard that i could always find parts for it. did the normal maintenance stuff... brakes, timing belt, etc. just an all around great reliable car. then a couple months ago i decided to throw on the drop springs mitch gave me with the car. lowered it a couple inches, no alignment, a little camber, bald tires (wich got worse with the camber/alignment issue) and a rainy day... and i slid into a ditch with a wicked embankment and kinda rolled it up on its side.
    more pics-
    here's the corner

and the ditch on the other side

which resulted in the following-

basically shoved the rad support up into the motor and pinched the radiator and stuff. just basic bent up nonsense. so my girlfriend's dad (who drug me out of the ditch in the first place) helped me with the one thing i can't fix... frame damage. using, of course, his frame damage fixing machine...

which got it somewhat straight

then i spent a couple hours re-aligning the hood, headlights, bumper, bumper support, and fenders. no pics of that yet... and punched out the quarter panel

at this point i was just gonna sell it, but i've had a change of heart and mind. i'll be selling the prelude and i'm keeping this till the wheels fall off. and in the meantime, i'm gonna patch it up and give it a little flavor while i drive it this winter. so look for updates as i finish stuff! i love ideas and criticism, and with my plan for the car, i'm expecting a few haters. but its cool. i don't really care, i'm just going to do what i like and rock it out. stay posted!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

lol i had a digger help me straighten out my one too

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

paint the trim satin black and the grill and eyelids to match some tint and aether a set of rims or some chrome trim rings and your set lol

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    lol i had a digger help me straighten out my one too
    haha its pretty effective! and i love your car
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    paint the trim satin black and the grill and eyelids to match some tint and aether a set of rims or some chrome trim rings and your set lol
    wayyy ahead of ya you'll see whats in store. and the windows are already tinted
    Last edited by Hondamonster; 09-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.

got all my supplies together. might get to work on it tomorrow or tuesday. i'll have pics up soon.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

good job on straightening out the front end, cant wait to see whats up next

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

LOL! I love the frame fix! Major bummer about the wreck though.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

yeah wrecking it really made me sad. at first i was just like "well at least it wasn't my prelude..." but then it sunk in that i had just messed up my one reliable car. and it's such a good little car that has never really gave me any problems... but i'll get it back up and at em!

forewarning-
    it will indefinitely look really crazy. i mean really. crazy. but i've got a vision and i'm just gonna go with it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

im sorry man im a big fan of u on pp.com . im sorry u havn prob with ur lude
    but when i saw u use the digger as body puller that is straight ass ghettto .
    to the point i cnt stop laughing. but very creative. . . not disrespectin u at all but that shit is hilarious
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Quote Originally Posted by b20a86lude View Post
    im sorry man im a big fan of u on pp.com . im sorry u havn prob with ur lude
    but when i saw u use the digger as body puller that is straight ass ghettto .
    to the point i cnt stop laughing. but very creative. . . not disrespectin u at all but that shit is hilarious
    haha yeah i know but it beats the heck out of a tow truck dragging me out so insurance could total and crush it...

been getting work done!
    here's what i had completed after the wreck as far as straightening the front body panels out. pretty close to straight

got the rear quarter a little straighter with a dolly. just gonna be lazy and bondo that up. and the bumper can stay like it is. doesn't really bother me too much. it will probably just add to the theme i'm gonna go with anyways

here's a bay shot. i pride myself in keeping it pretty clean, and the a/c and p/s have been deleted, as they didn't function anyway and were just dead weight and parasitic drag.

thanks to my recent frame modifications, the factory radiator fans didn't quite clear anymore and i had to leave them out when i put in the new (old) radiator. just a good excuse to pull them and throw in a slim fan! adds to the tucked effect i'm going for.
    just wired it to push and put it where the condenser used to be

now the bay is even roomier

then here you can kinda see where i painted over the places where the bucket scratched up the metal while bending it back. there was a little surface rust forming so i just sealed it up

now on to the body work! i find that old school hondas always look better emblemless, so started on fixing that up

i decided this looked like a smurf or something. totally picture worthy

glassed up the front holes. i've found that fiberglass is much better than bondo for filling holes. and i don't have a welder so that's not really an option for me either.

a little primer to protect it overnight

did a little glazing after sanding down the fiberglass to get it all good and smooth

then primed again and sprayed an enamel to seal up the primer. (its rainy in tennessee right now. moisture is bad for bodywork)

then here's a little preview of my wheel choice... i wasn't gonna post it but they came out great and i'm excited so f it.

bmw e30 wheels. 14 inch +35 offset and i have some 185/75r14's to go on them. super tall tire. should fill the fenders nicely, and i'm gonna drop the car a bit more. these things have plenty of fender room and suspension travel.

final result on the wheels

there's a few raindrops on it cause i took it out of the garage to get a pic in full lighting.
    Last edited by Hondamonster; 09-18-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

white rims would look nice on a tan car

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

thats what i'm hoping, but its not exactly going to be all tan...

ok finally got some time to work on it a little more. it has been under a tree for the last few weeks cause i just haven't had time to fool with it at all. got a little dirty with all that rain we've had...

anyway that quarter i squished needed some attention, and i'm not about to go cut parts off a car in the junkyard, so time for a redneck body solution.... that's right, folks, its BONDO time!!! haha.
    did a little wire wheelin

and bondo

and then i'm not sure if there's an official name for this, but i doodle all over the low spots and creases so i know where to add and stuff. works for me.

more to come soon.

here's another update. finished the 1/4 panel. yay glazing putty

and the new color isssss........

satin olive drab army green

i'm thinking i'll keep it two tone for now. bumpers and everything below the moldings will stay champagneish and everything above will be flat green. here's a shot with a wheel propped up against it.

i'm diggin it. more painting as time allows. and i should have the tires mounted on those wheels soon too. i'm really happy with how the shave came out. can't see the holes at all. the 1/4 panel isn't perfect at all but thats cause when i punched it back out from inside the trunk i went too far in a couple spots and it wouldn't push back in without caving the whole deal in again. so there were high spots to work around.. oh well

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

the high spots from punching the panel out could have been dealt with a smaller ball pin hammer to lower the high spots. Good job marking out the panel for the low spots , helps a lot for novice/ beginner body work and also taking the tail lights out. you still have the option of fixing the 1/4 further, take flat black spray paint and spray the area for a guide coat and use a flat board sander/planer sander, the 3 geez's are easy b/c they lack many complex curves and have many straight lines, just remember to get the body line thats 1/2 way up the panel, best way to do that is to take tape and make a line down the door to the 1/4 and use that as a guide.

keep up the good work

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

yeah i could have done better but i mean its not gonna be perfect again. i just decided to be lazy about it. its staying basically how it is. i'm not even replacing the bumpers at this point. i mean the imperfections in the quarter are not really noticable with the satin paint anyway, and i'm happy with the results especially considering that i only spent maybe an hour and a half total on it. and i do appreciate your thoughts on it. i see you're the resident body guy, so i'll take "keep up the good work" as a big compliment! hopefully it will quit raining sometime between now and thrusday so i can finish the paint.
    Last edited by Hondamonster; 10-04-2009 at 12:54 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89' Lx

lol glad to see you're doing good things with it man. i finally got time to check the thread out! Give me a ring sometime and we'll hang out. and for all those who are staying tuned to see this car's progress, itos gonna Be CraAaAZzZzY!~
    I've moved on to bigger and better things. 94 integra Gsr Sedan is my new ride. And theres big things coming for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nskforlife View Post
    lol glad to see you're doing good things with it man. i finally got time to check the thread out! Give me a ring sometime and we'll hang out. and for all those who are staying tuned to see this car's progress, itos gonna Be CraAaAZzZzY!~
    ^^^ previous owner and one of my best friends. he's the one that gave me the sweet deal on the car in the first place. and yeah, it might be a little crazy. nothing too big though. and not crazy performance, just crazy lookin

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Wow. Good recovery from the shunt. Would probably have been easier to have tires with tread on them though.