Thread: Which sub?

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Which sub?

ok... looking to get a sub going nothing special right now but just something on the budget side that hits pretty hard.. i listing to a huge verity of music from marilyn manson to willie nelson and 3 six mafia to nsync
    so i have narrowed it down to 2 options

option 1

HIFONICS HFi-12D4 (supposed to be a hella good sub for the price!)
    http://www.hifonicsusa.com/Hifonics_HFi_Subwoofers.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-HFi-12D...d=p3286.c0.m14

with this box
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGLE-12-PORTED...d=p3286.c0.m14

Option 2
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10569318

will be using a California A600XL 600watt amp.
    amp specs 600w rms x 1 @ 4 ohms
    Last edited by Civic Accord Honda; 09-13-2009 at 05:01 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Re: Which sub?

the sub you're looking at can be wired 2 ohm x 1(mono), 8 ohm x 1(mono) or 4 ohm x 2(stereo).
    I believe the amp you have will over heat rather quickly running 2 ohm mono, so the only real option you have is either 8 ohm mono witch will reduce the peak power output or 4 ohm stereo which will net you just about the same if not a bit lower output.

course i could be wrong about the amp but weather or not you want to take the chance of burning it up is up to you.

the box is within spec of the sub barely, I would say to find one with a bit more volume. I'd say 2-2.25 cubic feet.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

i think its decent one , i never had to buy a sub, i got a 12' kicker comp, a 12" alpine type s, and a 12" pioneer, i have a dual 12" sub kicker SS120 box, i want to get rid of it , it takes up the whole hatch im more or less looking for a box just for the 12" something like a wedge type so i can get my trunk space back, just consider the side of the box, mock up one out of cardboard. i really hate not being able to use the hatch on my 3gee

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

3Geez Veteran

I don't trust non-major brands (ones that I haven't heard of), so if I was limited to those choices, I would go with the Sony.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

I'm running a cheap 10in sub in the 88 that I picked up at walmart, lightning audio is the brand.
    I've had it since I first joined the forum, had it in the 89 wired to a profile amp I got from crutchfield.
    No problems from it yet and its still hits hard

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    the sub you're looking at can be wired 2 ohm x 1(mono), 8 ohm x 1(mono) or 4 ohm x 2(stereo).
    I believe the amp you have will over heat rather quickly running 2 ohm mono, so the only real option you have is either 8 ohm mono witch will reduce the peak power output or 4 ohm stereo which will net you just about the same if not a bit lower output.

course i could be wrong about the amp but weather or not you want to take the chance of burning it up is up to you.

the box is within spec of the sub barely, I would say to find one with a bit more volume. I'd say 2-2.25 cubic feet.
    hmm ill have to look in to the amp some more.. this is all the info on the specs i could find as its an older amp...
    150w rms x 2 @ 4 ohms
    300w rms x 2 @ 2 ohms
    600w rms x 1 @ 4 ohms
    as for the box i chose that one becuase i really dont want to take up much more space in my trunk i allready have a toolbox and a box of coolant and oil and other fulids back there

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    i think its decent one , i never had to buy a sub, i got a 12' kicker comp, a 12" alpine type s, and a 12" pioneer, i have a dual 12" sub kicker SS120 box, i want to get rid of it , it takes up the whole hatch im more or less looking for a box just for the 12" something like a wedge type so i can get my trunk space back, just consider the side of the box, mock up one out of cardboard. i really hate not being able to use the hatch on my 3gee
    True i thought about running 2 12"s but just didint want to take up the whole trunk space..
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I don't trust non-major brands (ones that I haven't heard of), so if I was limited to those choices, I would go with the Sony.
    Hifonics is apprantly a name brand... i know i see alot of there subs in peoples systems on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    I'm running a cheap 10in sub in the 88 that I picked up at walmart, lightning audio is the brand.
    I've had it since I first joined the forum, had it in the 89 wired to a profile amp I got from crutchfield.
    No problems from it yet and its still hits hard
    True hopefully which ever i get will last that long!

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

hiphonics is actually a very good brand im not to keen on there subs but they make killer amps

as far as my opinion though go with the sony but go with a 10 not a 12

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

I wouldn't buy anything new with the sony name on it,but that's just me.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

you have obviously never hooked one up correctly lol. i had a set of the older red p5's for about 2 years i sold them to my Buddie about 4 years ago and they still pound people to this day ask him what he has and when he shows them they still dont believe it lol

Vehicle
    1989 EXi, 1980 AMC Spirit GT

keep shopping. hifonics is an awesome brand, real old skool, but that woofer wont do what you want it to with that amp. and the other, well, its a sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    hahahah. by a guy with less posts than you!
    1989 Honda Accord Ex-i Slammed on Steelies LOL

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by amcinstaller View Post
    keep shopping. hifonics is an awesome brand, real old skool, but that woofer wont do what you want it to with that amp. and the other, well, its a sony.
    i could personally understand the comment its a sony if it was one of there crap decks or there amps lol cause there are garbage

but that sub the 5 sided one as i stated above is in a dif category for sony its odd i knwo but you shoudl look up some reviews on it
    itsa well liked sub

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

if i get that sony tho should i get the boxed set one or get the 1300 watt version and get a ported slot box... i may have to pay a little more then planed tho..

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    if i get that sony tho should i get the boxed set one or get the 1300 watt version and get a ported slot box... i may have to pay a little more then planed tho..
    get the ported box not the crap they try and sell it with lol

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yeah thats what i was thinking cause this box seems small as fuck lol
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-XS-LE121W-1...d=p3286.c0.m14

hmm videos on the sonys arent bad ether
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0ikbYNQTc

i think ima go with this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-XS-L121P5W-...d=p3286.c0.m14

or with this one idk
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-XS-L126P5-C...d=p3286.c0.m14
    whats the diffrence between the 2? nothing besides looks? i know the 2nd one is the one they sell at walmart lol

and might get a cheap box for now cause i might upgrade to 2 of them later on.. lol
    Last edited by Civic Accord Honda; 09-15-2009 at 02:56 AM.