Thread: Horrible squeaking noise while driving

Exclamation Horrible squeaking noise while driving

I have an 88 Accord LX and my my car, on the front right side (passenger side) of the car. it started about 2 weeks ago. It only squeaks when im driving under 30mph or if i hit the brakes while going slower than 30mph. i cant cruise at all because you can hear me coming from a mile away squeaking . i took apart the brakes and found nothing that could be squeaking. does anyone know if this is the brakes or if it is something else? please any advice on how to fix this would be great thanx

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Horrible squeaking noise while driving

Check the wheel bearing by jacking up that side only and rocking the wheel at the 12 and 6 o clock position. There should be like 0 play. Also check that the big nut is on tight that preloads the bearing. if its sqeeking its shot.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

definitely sounds like a wheel bearing.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

I agree, most likely wheel bearing.
    Phil

bringing back this thread....

this is exactly whats going on with my ar right now too. im not sure if its the same kind of squeaking but when im accelerating it doesnt do it. It only does it when i release the gas pedal and brakeing. mine is doing it on the front passenger side just as well. when you get out of the car and start to shake the front of it, you can also hear the squeaking just not as loud.

if it is this bearing that you guys say it is where exactly is it located and how hard is it to repair?

-dan

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

mine is squeaking from passenger side as well an its not the bearing.Heres a list of the stuff I changed trying to fix it an still no good.Lower control arms with bushings,upper control arms with bushings,tie rod ends,upper balljoint, strut,and the axle I have also greased the crap out of everything first with silicone spray then with ball bearing grease still squeaks im going to try lower balljoint next.An if that dont fix it then maybe sway bar bushings not much left to change.lol.GL on urz All wheel bearings I have ever had go out on me grind not squeak dunno though.
    Last edited by headbanger; 11-18-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    dont get peoples hopes up.......we are broke...thats why we drive 80s cars
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960455

Thanks headbanger,

I'll try what youre saying, atleast the bushings. I feel like mine might just need new bushing but i have to get in there and take a better look.

where did you buy your new bushings from?

-dan

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Before reading most of these posts I would automatically have said either a ball joint or a control arm bushing. Did you use silicone grease on the bushings?

Nswst8, every wheel bearing that I've had start to go makes a sort of roaring noise, nothing high pitched at all. How would you describe the high pitched sound...like a turbine whine?

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    Before reading most of these posts I would automatically have said either a ball joint or a control arm bushing. Did you use silicone grease on the bushings?

Nswst8, every wheel bearing that I've had start to go makes a sort of roaring noise, nothing high pitched at all. How would you describe the high pitched sound...like a turbine whine?
    i think Nswst8 was on this thread a few months back. I just brought back the thread because i had thee same problem as the original guy..

but the squeaking sound doesnt sound at all like a turbine, it sounds more like a squeaky dog toy. and thats only when im decelerating. otherwise it does not make the sound. but it is very embarrassing because even my friend even said he heard it when we took our cars to the drag strip. we raced each other a few times and he said he even though it was his car! lol

-dan

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

My first thought is brake pads but maybe you already checked that.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

actually i havent done that recently maybe that wouldnt hurt plus its not too hard to check them so that should be soon

-dan

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by dacantu View Post
    Thanks headbanger,

I'll try what youre saying, atleast the bushings. I feel like mine might just need new bushing but i have to get in there and take a better look.

where did you buy your new bushings from?
    I bought my bushings from ebay despite what people say rubber is rubber it doesnt matter if you get it at the honda dealer or ebay only difference is price.I got 2 lower control arms for 40.00 shipping an all.advance auto parts wanted 125.00 for one so price difference is quite lovely.Yeah best way to describe the squeaking on mine is .....it sounds like a bedspring.You can go out an push up an down on front bumper an it goes reeeeeeeeeeek reeeeek reeeeeeek most annoying thing I turn up stereo an drown it out but i still know its there drives me nutts.it does it while accelerating as well.I will find it.its just a matter time.I ve took the front end apart so many times over the past month I could do it blind folded.
    Last edited by headbanger; 11-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    dont get peoples hopes up.......we are broke...thats why we drive 80s cars
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960455

Vehicle
    87 accord lxi rip. 88 lx 89 lxi parts car

my 88 lx is making the same sound on the driver side. its like a high pitch squeak. an mine does it around 25mph when your going about 40mph its still there just not as noticeable. i was thinkin wheel bearing too. idk.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

I didnt read none of the other post just glanced. BUT sounds like a shim or a clip thats on the caliper bracket. those to to bind up and make that noise. It could also be your dust shield. OR your pads. PAds do have a Tab that tells you WHOAAA MOTHER FUCKER time to stop and change my pads LOL. no but when your 3geez is yelling at you like that. ITS time to charge her pads. LMFAO.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

[QUOTE=A20A1_88Accord;975396]I have an 88 Accord LX and my my car, on the front right side (passenger side) of the car. it started about 2 weeks ago. It only squeaks when im driving under 30mph or if i hit the brakes while going slower than 30mph. i cant cruise at all because you can hear me coming from a mile away squeaking . i took apart the brakes and found nothing that could be squeaking. does anyone know if this is the brakes or if it is something else? please any advice on how to fix this would be great thanx[/QUOTE

get new pads man and dont get metallic brake pads those squeal like a motherfucker had same problem and all i did was change them and no squeak had them pads on for 3 months now and still nothing...get the ceramic brake Pads and you should be good for the next 6 months depends if you brake alot

Vehicle
    87 accord lxi rip. 88 lx 89 lxi parts car

I replaced the brakes on mine an it still does it. Mine kinda sounds like a tire rubbing or cv boot. But I've check an neither of them are rubbing. Ill check out the caliper an see if its touchin the rotar

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    I didnt read none of the other post just glanced. BUT sounds like a shim or a clip thats on the caliper bracket. those to to bind up and make that noise. It could also be your dust shield. OR your pads. PAds do have a Tab that tells you WHOAAA MOTHER FUCKER time to stop and change my pads LOL. no but when your 3geez is yelling at you like that. ITS time to charge her pads. LMFAO.
    I agree