Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish the H22A swap?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 SEi 4dr (H22A soon?)

Question Finish the H22A swap?

So, I have a bit of a dilemma here. I've got too many cars clogging up my (rather small) driveway, and something has to go. Since I've been barred from working on it for SIX YEARS, I've decided to part with my H22A project car.

The swap is not complete, so I am debating on whether to finish the basic mechanicals, or just hack it up and sell it for parts.

Anyone interested in finishing this project? Just looking for input. Thanks.
    Engineer by profession, writer by practice, mechanic by necessity, martial artist by design.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: Finish the H22A swap?

where you located? i know it says in tha desert but that could be in a lot of places... depending on prices i'm sure some of us would be interested... got any pics?
    dead white and blue

LX User
    Vehicle

I'm in Southeastern Washington, Tri Cities area.

I'll do a full writeup later (probably Sunday). The poor thing was picked over for parts over the last six years to keep our SEi running strong, so it needs lots of work to make a complete running vehicle. Details later. Pix below:

Engineer by profession, writer by practice, mechanic by necessity, martial artist by design.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

So other than the visible missing parts, what exactly needs to be done on it?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

think i could fit a h22a in ur 2gee?

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

The 2g is going B20 isn't it, so h22 for the 1g?

LX User
    Vehicle

Post Re: Finish the H22A swap?

The "list:"

Stuff that's broken 3g parts you'll need to replace:
    1. 3 of the front ball joints (broken).
    2. Rebuild front calipers and get new rotors (all LXi parts). The calipers worked when i put them on this car, but they've been sitting for half a decade...
    3. One tie rod end (I will probably replace it myself at no cost if someone wants the whole car).
    4. Fuel lines (all). This was a carbed car, but I have installed an LXi tank. The donor car's fuel lines were wrecked, so you will either need to custom install something or find another FI donor car and strip the fuel lines from it.
    5. The rear ball joints are overdue for replacement. They have 215k miles on them.
    6. Who knows what shape the steering system is in...
    7. All four tires are shot. The rims are 16", rubber is 205/45ZR16.

Stuff that needs to be reinstalled:
    1. Interior. I have both the original grey (slightly worn) and a virtually mint burgandy interior, including all plastic pieces and an extra matching dash.
    2. Heater & A/C unit (I will probably do this one before selling it 'cause I took it out).
    3. I have all parts to rebuild the rear drums, but haven't touched them.

Stuff needed to finish the swap:
    1. Exhaust (have almost all of the 'lude pieces including a good cat).
    2. Fuel (see above).
    3. Axles (have several but not a pair that will fit).
    4. Clutch (haven't sourced the hydraulic bits yet)
    5. Intake (have most of the Prelude stuff, you'll need to make a CAI)
    6. Cooling system (see below)
    7. Shifter

I have the prelude radiator and A/C system, also a pile of fans but I don't think any fit. The hoses are in pretty good shape. I have the whole A/C system from both cars, and was planning to have running A/C.

The engine is a JDM H22A from a 1993 Prelude with 60k.

The chasis is a '88 LX (4dr, metallic gray), with 215k.

I replaced the clutch with an ACT unit, and the engine has a new water pump, new timing belt, remote oil filter kit, new valve cover gasket, new thermostat. I pulled the oil pan and checked all the main caps and rods BUT DID NOT TORQUE THE BOLTS TO SPEC. YOU WILL NEED TO PULL THE OIL PAN AND LOOSEN AND RE-TORQUE THE WHOLE BOTTOM END BEFORE STARTING THIS MOTOR. The transmission was drained of fluid but not opened.

The engine mounts are in, but I would like to re-do them and build a useable front crossmember... I wanted to do this before selling the car, but I don't know what the next owner may want to do with it.

The body has a minor dent in the front passenger door and front pass. fender. I have a new white fender to replace it. I have all of the misc. exterior trim, bumpers, etc.

The wiring is more or less complete. I pulled the cruise control system to fix the worthless SEi's system and never went back into this car and hooked up the thing. I have a collection of JDM/USDM info, PDF shop manuals, some Chiltons (I'm keeping my Haynes for the other car). It's a lot of work (that I'm obviously not going to do), but the parts are solid. No rust, no bent frame, no interior left open to rain, no rubber completely rotted out, the glass is solid. The car and parts are good.

Hilariously, part of the reason why this never got finished was because I built (and now drive) a '78 Volkswagon bus with a JDM WRX motor that makes 260hp. I really wish I would have gotten this Accord done, but enough regrets.

So... I'd be willing to sell the H22A with the transmission, but the wiring would be a mess since it's already spliced into the 3g wiring harness. Selling the whole car along with its associated bits and pieces is ok. I'm really just trying to gauge interest level before I put an engine up for sale that nobody can use or something stupid and rude like that.

Post whatever for questions. I'll be at a VW show in town for part of this weekend, but I'll be checking up here fairly regularly. Hopefully I'll get this stuff cleaned up, photographed and put up for sale around next weekend. Thanks in advance for you guy's (and gal's) advice.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by rick_spiff View Post
    Hilariously, part of the reason why this never got finished was because I built (and now drive) a '78 Volkswagon bus with a JDM WRX motor that makes 260hp.
    fuck the 3gee lets see pics of ur bus!!! i miss my bus.. it was hella fun though totally unreliable

Vehicle

Not for the 2gee or the 1gee. How much would you want for this project?

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Those buses are crazy!
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

LX User
    Vehicle

Well, I had thought about selling it after it was complete (back when I looked at parts for turboing the SEi), and figured about ~$5000 for complete running H22 3g... for this bucket of parts? Maybe 2500-3000? That's where I've got questions.

Here's "Dilly" (show pics from last year - there's a build thread on the mcvw.org forums for closet VW junkies)

Vehicle

Wow that turbo shit is sweet! I'm guessing by all the wires that you are not blowing through a big set of Webers? Megasquirt kit?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

damn SO SO SO CLOSE from me...like 45 minutes LOL....FUCK dude thats alot of work and i wish i had more room...One boosted and one H series fuck i would be the MAN of mans LOL....or like that one guy that pedro is in....LUCKY LOL....thats just to much shit for me..i did it once and i would hate to do it again.....5k sounds good if it was complete...

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

LX User
    Vehicle

Also, I keep forgetting she also has new spark plugs, plug wires, dist. cap, rotor, and coil.

Supposedly work on the other cars will be delayed while parts are shipped here. I'll make myself start cleaning up this mess of a car. Maybe it will be more complete before it's posted for sale.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

sounds good man...let us know

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    2000 Powerstroke 1988 LXI sedan

You live a little far for me to buy it from you(I wish)but if buy any chance you decide to part it out,I would love the mounts and any thing else to make the swap easy. Or if you made your own mounts would pay for patterns. But don't sell the damn thing I mean really and H22 in a 3G awsome. Do all the stuff everyone is doing to the B20As cams ignition upgrades etc,ets and no na B20 would touch the thing.

LX User
    Vehicle

I was going to make an extra set anyway. Might sell some off if I get this down to a science... MAD SCIENCE!

I'm not sure it would be 100 bolt-in, but maybe... And I would like to sell it as a complete H22A powered 3g when I let her go. To a good a home.

LX User
    Vehicle

Getting the dash HVAC controls done. I was going to pull the A/C and heater cores and get everything cleaned up, but when I opened the passenger door...

So... looks like I'll be playing exterminator for a bit before I can clean the A/C.

Vehicle
    2000 Powerstroke 1988 LXI sedan

Cant wait ro see her finished or for the xtra set of mounts lol. keep up the good work man. Mabey when you ger her finished you wont be able to let her go and just keep her.
    Mike C in NC USA

Vehicle
    88 accord hb dx

what mounts did you use?
    ...If you're ever confused about anything in life... it probably has something to do with money$...

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

He made his own, I believe.

Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by rick_spiff View Post
    Since I've been barred from working on it for SIX YEARS, I've decided to part with my H22A project car.
    Ok, I'm curious... why where you barred from working on your car for 6 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy on another forum
    Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.
    Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I don't care if your car is fast, making it look like a dirty hookers butthole is not right.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord

Where do you live and how much do you want for it?

LX User
    Vehicle

Why six years?

Mostly the wife and kids... and the bus. Almost three years spent on the bus instead of my baby. Now I've got a '65 Nova and a '93 Grand Prix torn apart in my driveway. Grr....

Where?

I live in the tri-cities and I'm fairly negotiable on the price. I'm figuring a running car is worth around $5000, so $3000 as it sits? I don't think I could take less; I've invested the better part of 5k in it already, not counting the cost of the chasis.

Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i

Hope you find a good home for this sweep swap. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Sh4d0w; 11-10-2009 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy on another forum
    Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.
    Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I don't care if your car is fast, making it look like a dirty hookers butthole is not right.