Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: King Peetis's 88 Hatch Build Thread

DX User

Re: Peteandjenn's 88 Hatch Build Thread

beautiful hatch man, simple and clean. im new to 3g accords(owned a 4th gen sedan and currently a 5th gen wagon), and I was wondering about that window shade you got over the hatch. where'd you get it? is it a factory option? home-made? LMK im waiting for a 88-89 hatch to pop up on craigslist so i can snatch it, wanting that shade for it.

3Geez Veteran

^ They're referred to as "louvers", and are indeed OEM, but very hard to find.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    isn't the 35/40 what the stock one is? anyway, the drum brakes get more fluid going to them than the disc brakes do, so using the 35/40 (which i assume is the stock one) is what causes your rear brakes to lock up. this happened to me when i used a drum/disc prop valve on a car with front & rear disc brakes.. the 40/40 is the correct one to use. this is just speaking from experience, someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    the drums are always limited by the valve, this prevents them from locking up before the front brakes, since the rear of the car is lighter the rear end could come around if the backs locked first.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi hatchback--white with maroon

isn't the 35/40 what the stock one is? anyway, the drum brakes get more fluid going to them than the disc brakes do, so using the 35/40 (which i assume is the stock one) is what causes your rear brakes to lock up. this happened to me when i used a drum/disc prop valve on a car with front & rear disc brakes.. the 40/40 is the correct one to use. this is just speaking from experience, someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    I never shy away from wisdom, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    when u getting the kspots on thought tdurr was supposed come help ya
    You speak of Young Timothy? Timothy...? Where for art thou?

Nah man, no Ksports on the car yet. I cant quite figure it out. Can anyone assist with install instructions? The car and strut dont seem compatible--I just think I dont have a clue what Im doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 94blckhawaiian View Post
    beautiful hatch man, simple and clean. im new to 3g accords(owned a 4th gen sedan and currently a 5th gen wagon), and I was wondering about that window shade you got over the hatch. where'd you get it? is it a factory option? home-made? LMK im waiting for a 88-89 hatch to pop up on craigslist so i can snatch it, wanting that shade for it.
    Funny you ask. I have a bad habit of not being patient. I bought a set of aftermarket louvers for my car thinking I would never find an OEM set and WALLA! a 1986 DX w/ louvers pops up on craigslist. I called and offered $75 for the louvers and she said come and get it. Now, understand I have a little OCD and even though I had an aftermarket set it wasnt good enough, lol, I still had to have the real deal so I looked everyday for about 10 months before I found them. I have the AM set sitting in the garage collecting dust.

DX User

who/where/price can I get the aftermarket set? here in Hawaii i doubt i would ever find them. 3g hatches are a rarity in itself around here.

Vehicle

spoilers4less.com

I bought the aluminum ones and paid 290 bucks. I wasnt very happy with the fit and finish. They can be spuced up to look good if you take your time. Maybe try one of the other styles. Oh yea, the pictures of the actual louvers will not be visible on the sit. I suggest you give them a call.

DX User

well i checked out the AM spoilers and they don't look too bad from the pics, but i'll take your word on the less than perfect fitment. gonna look online for an OEM louver. so what's next for your hatch?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

i made an error in my brake prop valve post, i actually noticed on my car today (4 wheel disc) that the 35/40 is indeed the correct prop valve to use on these cars (no idea where i got the 40/40 thing from, must be 4 wheel disc from another car). my apologies

Vehicle

well i checked out the AM spoilers and they don't look too bad from the pics, but i'll take your word on the less than perfect fitment. gonna look online for an OEM louver. so what's next for your hatch?
    Good luck finding the louvers. Im looking for an OEM roof rack or at least the one Honda offered as an accessory back in 86--Thats really it, besides rebuilding the motor and having the interior re-upholstered lol.

i made an error in my brake prop valve post, i actually noticed on my car today (4 wheel disc) that the 35/40 is indeed the correct prop valve to use on these cars (no idea where i got the 40/40 thing from, must be 4 wheel disc from another car). my apologies
    I actually pulled a 40/40 prop valve off an 89 LX-i. I also grabbed a 35/40 off a 1990 teg. So youre saying go with the 35/40??

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Re: King Peetis's 88 Hatch Build Thread

That's odd, I've heard the 4040 prop valve only comes off the SE-i Accords (4 wheel disc). My 4 wheel disc Accords came stock with the 35/40 valve, maybe cause my cars have different front brakes??? The LX-i you got your prop valve from must have had that swapped in at some stage. Either way, I don't think you'll run into any issues with the rear brakes locking up using either 3540 or 4040 prop valves. lol sorry for the confusion

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    ^ They're referred to as "louvers", and are indeed OEM, but very hard to find.
    I saw a 2009 mustang with those on it this morning! how retro is that!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I saw a 2009 mustang with those on it this morning! how retro is that!
    the mustang new ones are a copy, they are trying to copy the old style, the entire car is supposed to look retro, the original louvers came out in the 70-80's , think Miami Vice

Vehicle

here are some old mustang ones, this is the same style as on the Accord,

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

OH those arnt old mustangs.. well I guess they are eighties but not what Im thinking of is a 69-73. My cue was that someone is still making them obviousley since those were fitted to a 09.
    Louvers... yes partially still on topic

Vehicle

American muscle cars have had louvers for a while. Especially from the late late 60's, really popular in the 70's and started dying off in trend in the late 80's. All car trends like most anything come full circle. The cars are looking more retro these days so it only makes since to bring back the retro trends. I say we should contract a machine shop and place a batch order for some curb feelers. I bet the young dudes have never heard of those...LOL

Anyway, I dont think its a trend started here in the states. I will bet it was started in Japan and later adopted here. If you take a good long look at louvers you will see that the person who came up with the idea was taking a serious financial risk. What looks good on paper doesnt always look good in person. Well, I dig them so thats all that really matters...

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

Hey Pete if you want to ride down my way well put the coilovers on no prob. Ive just got a floor jack and jackstands but then it would only take us an hour or two tops. Might as well swap the new tranny in while your at it...that wouldnt take that long either. But if you seriously want to get the coilovers done come down here and Ill help you.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle

My car is sitting on jack stands with the rear end torn out. Im getting ready to put in the disc brakes but hit a stand still with the coilovers. Oh well, this is how it goes most of the time...But thanks for the offer.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by King Peetis View Post
    My car is sitting on jack stands with the rear end torn out. Im getting ready to put in the disc brakes but hit a stand still with the coilovers. Oh well, this is how it goes most of the time...But thanks for the offer.

What problem are you having with the coilovers?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle

Well I think I have it figured out. My dumb ass just needed to pull out the upper mount assembly . And I F'ed up a ball joint on the upper control arm. Im going to take some pics and get them posted as I install them.

Its really hard to concentrate with two little ones running around and asking me questions.
    Last edited by King Peetis; 06-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

if it aint done by friday, ill swing by to show u how its done. lol

but really give me a call when u see this pete

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post

when I see this? You got my number

DX User

sorry to thread jack, but about the aftermarket hatch louvers, was the fitment very off? and was the quality of it bad?

Vehicle

sorry to thread jack, but about the aftermarket hatch louvers, was the fitment very off? and was the quality of it bad?
    The quality is 'just OK' but the fit and fair was decent. The two things I didnt like were that the louvers sag in the middle and they were a little bit tall. I should have some pictures somewhere. Do a search for louvers and Im sure you will find them.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by King Peetis View Post
    The quality is 'just OK' but the fit and fair was decent. The two things I didnt like were that the louvers sag in the middle and they were a little bit tall. I should have some pictures somewhere. Do a search for louvers and Im sure you will find them.
    damn ima just stay on the market for an OEM set. how much would you say they weigh?