Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Input on new build!!!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Need Input on new build!!!

Hey crew. Now im ready for my new build first im going to get the bottom end done first but I wanted to know What you boosted guys have for builds and what you think i should run....MY goal is 300hp 280whp for a starting point. BUT this build take me bout 2 years maybe

K i know you can run b18 a/b rods fit perfect just as stock.

Pistons i really dont know whats a the bang for the buck. JE,Diamond.Weisco,...i mean so many out there i dont know buddys here use different kinds tell me O this is better and this is not....WELL i i want to hear it from you boosted guys.

Rod/Main bearings what should i go for. Tri metal ACL? or King.

I know i should go with a toga pump for sure.

Rings what rings also. Gapless is not good for boost so i shouldnt go with that.

Going to get the crank balanced and blue printed. and have the block hot tanked b4 all this shit LOL. Going to paint the engine bay blue as like car. clean the wiring....OFF TOPIC...sorry

I know i should use a cometic head gasket ....best for boost i hear of alot of D users get the OEM h/g which i dont think it would work great for high boost...20+psi. LET ME know dont be afair im welling to take any adivce guys

Head work is going to prolly cost me more then the bottom end LOL. over sized valves. port and polishing by crazyingTuning.com aka Joser from Cb7.com. Bisi head build. Flow benched. i mean i want this shit to be flawless. i want some serious numbers here. Tips on what i should do to the head let me know. im still learning im not the greatest builder but i build my motor thats boosted now and its holding. thats 5 years ago.

BUT im serious so dont put some stupid shit. Lay it out dont bs. Well half you guys know who rendon is LOL. John,chris,alex,zeph Know i dont BS.

I said i was going to boost in 03 i said it and i did it in 08 took me a bit but i did it. What i say I get DOne..... SO for the haters just eat the grill the beef and eat it FOOLS

LOL......K....LETS BULLET

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: Need Input on new build!!!

from what i here honda oem bearings are the best even up past 500hp... just what i heard from some forums ive been on...

but damn i came just reading the plans!

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Oem honda bearings are good, but pricey. King or acl are fine so long as the clearances are correct, sometimes one size fits all doesnt really work with rod and main bearings in these cars. Only use OEM honda engine seals and gaskets for critical areas, such as rear or front main seals or cam seals unless you want to replace them again. You can use B18a/b rods with aftermarket forged pistons but i would highly reccomend having the rod bolts replaced with somthing stronger, and having the rods shot peened to enhance their strength, but at this point, they are still stock rods, and eagle rods arent that much money (mine were like $350 with arp 2000 bolts) so you should just go for the new eagles for the peace of mind, this is a bad place to cheap out on such a critical part, plus they are already balanced i believe. I dont believe that cometic makes a headgasket for a20s, plus, stock honda headgaskets are just fine for boost, you just need to use head studs. I have a copper headgasket but im reluctant to use it, so im using a stock honda headgasket, and if you use headstuds, it should be quite a bit more than adequate for turbo engine use, even for these power levels. I use diamond forged pistons as well as a few members on here and ive never heard bad things about them, but any good piston manufacturer should be fine, nothing wrong with JE, CP, Wiseco etc. Me personally, talking with Ron at Diamond pistons, he really spent a good amount of time with me making sure of what i wanted for pistons, so ill go ahead and reccomend him. No on the gapless rings, they are just not tough enough for boost. The Toga oil pump is a good idea also, I wouldnt use an old oil pump for a performance built, although a new stock one would be fine also. With the crank, having the crank/crank pulley and flywheel all dynamically balanced together (and maybe rods) that will really help also, as well as lightly polishing the bearing journals. I would reccomend against knife edging the crank or having the journals ground down to fix a bad journal. Knife edging takes away from the mass of the crank and allows harmonics to eat away at the engine and bearings easier, and grinding the journals removes the factory nitride hardened coating on the crank and also makes the journals thinner and more fragile, so dont get nuts here. Just clean it up, have the oil holes chamfered slightly, and have it balanced. For the head, i guess it depends on what your power goals will be eventually. If you are going for just 280whp, a well thought out turbo kit on a stock head would do that much power and much more, without porting etc. If you want to go all out, then you could spend alot of money porting and putting oversized valves and all that, but you really should upgrade your intake manifold and throttle body before this anyway (a b16/b18c5 stock or aftermarket, such as skunk2 or aebs, avoid edelbrock victor unless your looking for a high revving dyno queen or racecar), and the head's intake side should be portmatched to the new intake mani combination or you could lose power. Heavily reworking the head can unlock a good amount of power, but if your top goals are only 280whp, it can be reached without spending alot of money here really. Aftermarket valves are a good idea if you really plan on running high boost for like 30000 miles, and stock springs and retainers are fine provided you dont spin the engine over around 7200 rpm. If you want to go to 8000 rpm, youd need springs/retainers/valves etc. Usually the valve guides are good so you dont nessescerily need to replace them, even on a 100k mile honda head, the seals however, are usually marginal. I guess it depends on how much power you want to make. Then to top it off, your going to have to design and build a decent turbo setup, complete with managemant and fuel upgrades, and probably have to make your own turbo mani.

Sorry that was long
    Last edited by AccordEpicenter; 10-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

What are you doing for tuning? All the engine parts in the world aren't crap without good tuning. I'd be considering either going OBD1 or Megasquirt over the head work to be honest.

Epicenter pretty much hit it all on the hard parts, but I'd be just as concerned about tuning.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    Oem honda bearings are good, but pricey. King or acl are fine so long as the clearances are correct, sometimes one size fits all doesnt really work with rod and main bearings in these cars. Only use OEM honda engine seals and gaskets for critical areas, such as rear or front main seals or cam seals unless you want to replace them again. You can use B18a/b rods with aftermarket forged pistons but i would highly reccomend having the rod bolts replaced with somthing stronger, and having the rods shot peened to enhance their strength, but at this point, they are still stock rods, and eagle rods arent that much money (mine were like $350 with arp 2000 bolts) so you should just go for the new eagles for the peace of mind, this is a bad place to cheap out on such a critical part, plus they are already balanced i believe. I dont believe that cometic makes a headgasket for a20s, plus, stock honda headgaskets are just fine for boost, you just need to use head studs. I have a copper headgasket but im reluctant to use it, so im using a stock honda headgasket, and if you use headstuds, it should be quite a bit more than adequate for turbo engine use, even for these power levels. I use diamond forged pistons as well as a few members on here and ive never heard bad things about them, but any good piston manufacturer should be fine, nothing wrong with JE, CP, Wiseco etc. Me personally, talking with Ron at Diamond pistons, he really spent a good amount of time with me making sure of what i wanted for pistons, so ill go ahead and reccomend him. No on the gapless rings, they are just not tough enough for boost. The Toga oil pump is a good idea also, I wouldnt use an old oil pump for a performance built, although a new stock one would be fine also. With the crank, having the crank/crank pulley and flywheel all dynamically balanced together (and maybe rods) that will really help also, as well as lightly polishing the bearing journals. I would reccomend against knife edging the crank or having the journals ground down to fix a bad journal. Knife edging takes away from the mass of the crank and allows harmonics to eat away at the engine and bearings easier, and grinding the journals removes the factory nitride hardened coating on the crank and also makes the journals thinner and more fragile, so dont get nuts here. Just clean it up, have the oil holes chamfered slightly, and have it balanced. For the head, i guess it depends on what your power goals will be eventually. If you are going for just 280whp, a well thought out turbo kit on a stock head would do that much power and much more, without porting etc. If you want to go all out, then you could spend alot of money porting and putting oversized valves and all that, but you really should upgrade your intake manifold and throttle body before this anyway (a b16/b18c5 stock or aftermarket, such as skunk2 or aebs, avoid edelbrock victor unless your looking for a high revving dyno queen or racecar), and the head's intake side should be portmatched to the new intake mani combination or you could lose power. Heavily reworking the head can unlock a good amount of power, but if your top goals are only 280whp, it can be reached without spending alot of money here really. Aftermarket valves are a good idea if you really plan on running high boost for like 30000 miles, and stock springs and retainers are fine provided you dont spin the engine over around 7200 rpm. If you want to go to 8000 rpm, youd need springs/retainers/valves etc. Usually the valve guides are good so you dont nessescerily need to replace them, even on a 100k mile honda head, the seals however, are usually marginal. I guess it depends on how much power you want to make. Then to top it off, your going to have to design and build a decent turbo setup, complete with managemant and fuel upgrades, and probably have to make your own turbo mani.

Sorry that was long
    Thats the kind of stuff i like to hear. What you said is what im doing basicly. WEll my STARTign goal is going to be 300 to get the kinks out an so on. Going to go obd1 here in 2 months and going to tune with Chrome pro. Eagle rods and apr rod bolts is prolly the route im going to take. The head i want it buildt so i can go to 8,000rpms....Thats one of the man reason.....I just dont want a street demon i want a monster LOL. Polishing the crank is what i did in the motor i have now. so i will also do the same....its kinda like MIGHT as well type of shit. IF you dont do the stuff you want and when you put it all back together youll prolly regret it....Youll be like FUCK i messd up. I should of done that LOL. I heard the 450cc are rated for 400hp or so...but ill just get rid of them and get some RC's. TURBO MANI i already have LOL....I got the ONly ramhorn on The board...I THINK.....AND i well also get rid of the exhust and run a side exit...No point of running a bad ass setup and run a exhuast. LET it breath you know what im saying..

On the intake i have a b16a plemun but i want a victor x. So as of now its for sell. i only paid 50 shipped so thats what im going to sell it for also....mint shape.

Pistons well now its Diamond...SO thanks for the adivce bro. VERY helpfull. I know alot but yet i like to hear from others on there builds.

As for head gasket...Chris had his custom made from cometic so ill go that route...like 100ish i think.not bad. And im going to go all arp bolts nuts exc.

You said to run honda oem seals...well do man. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    What are you doing for tuning? All the engine parts in the world aren't crap without good tuning. I'd be considering either going OBD1 or Megasquirt over the head work to be honest.

Epicenter pretty much hit it all on the hard parts, but I'd be just as concerned about tuning.
    Obd1 with chrome pro...Hell no i wont even start it tell its on the dyno well i'll start it with a base map then trailer it to portland and get it tuned......

I know what you mean thou man....
    Last edited by Rendon LX-i; 10-17-2009 at 02:51 PM.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

i dont think 450s will get you to 400whp, i really think you need bigger injectors, like 660s and at least a 255lph walbro intank fuel pump. Other than that, yeah, i forgot you had the ramhorn haha.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Yeah my 550's were close to max i believe when i had my B20A going and that was ball park 300whp. I think this time around i might do OEM bearings not that that was my issue in the past but i want my B20A to last. Your on the right track and seem to have it all planned out and i would do the rods now for sure. And i have not been up on the A20A's in some time but why not use a OEM headgasket? I had a cometic copper for the B20A but the machine shop did such a bad o-ring job that that got scrapped but i ran 2 OEM gaskets at 17psi with boost spikes into the 20's and never had a head gasket blow. I did use copper spray on the last build and it seem to seal really well when i pulled the head off it was definitely tacky.

Vehicle

yeah i have a copper headgasket but i never installed it, just heard of many people having issues, plus my machinist thinks that o ringing is a waste and they have problems too. Anybody ive ever heard of popping headgaskets on A20s either had a cooling/warpage problem or head lifting issues due to stretching head bolts (head studs combat this) but never really popping headgaskets due to making power... So oem honda headgasket for me.

Vehicle

88TurboAccord aka Justin was the one that got me into turbo's and I know his car seemed to hold up well and he ran stock gaskets. In many ways i wish i boosted an A20A3 since its a stronger block. But either way i'm working on getting the B20A going again and I plan on using OEM bearings and i was able to pick up a few JDM head gaskets before they were discontinued.

Im sure you could get ARP head bolts as well the person i sent mine to was very helpful at matching mine up. I would be more confident boosting an A20 than my B20 plus parts are readily available.

now rob how could you say such a thing to our precisous, self concious engines? They havent ever windowed or scored or showed major signs of structural failure? I think everyone is selling themselves short on these based on the flaws of the newer b serties engines. The JDM B20a is afterall a closed deck as is the S20a. the only downfall to see would be the aluminum casting as the A20a is iron. Id think the same biuld type on both engines (whatever that could be) wpould yield higher ouptut on the B20a vs A20a anyday of the week. This is of course comming from a reader not a user

Vehicle

i dont think 450s will get you to 400whp, i really think you need bigger injectors, like 660s and at least a 255lph walbro intank fuel pump. Other than that, yeah, i forgot you had the ramhorn haha.
    LOL yeah figured...may 300 and thats pushing it. yeah i want alteast 660s as you say. on and RAM HORN FTW LOL.

yeah i have a copper headgasket but i never installed it, just heard of many people having issues, plus my machinist thinks that o ringing is a waste and they have problems too. Anybody ive ever heard of popping headgaskets on A20s either had a cooling/warpage problem or head lifting issues due to stretching head bolts (head studs combat this) but never really popping headgaskets due to making power... So oem honda headgasket for me.
    your right.....I dont have a problem now so might as well stick with the OEM ey. ill see how chris does with 20+ psi of boost and ill have him let me know haha....

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    now rob how could you say such a thing to our precisous, self concious engines? They havent ever windowed or scored or showed major signs of structural failure? I think everyone is selling themselves short on these based on the flaws of the newer b serties engines. The JDM B20a is afterall a closed deck as is the S20a. the only downfall to see would be the aluminum casting as the A20a is iron. Id think the same biuld type on both engines (whatever that could be) wpould yield higher ouptut on the B20a vs A20a anyday of the week. This is of course comming from a reader not a user

Both are great engines. thats why they where put in such a great car......I wouldnt mine having a b20...i just love the fact of cast. just makes me feel better bout boosting.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RobT5580 View Post
    Yeah my 550's were close to max i believe when i had my B20A going and that was ball park 300whp. I think this time around i might do OEM bearings not that that was my issue in the past but i want my B20A to last. Your on the right track and seem to have it all planned out and i would do the rods now for sure. And i have not been up on the A20A's in some time but why not use a OEM headgasket? I had a cometic copper for the B20A but the machine shop did such a bad o-ring job that that got scrapped but i ran 2 OEM gaskets at 17psi with boost spikes into the 20's and never had a head gasket blow. I did use copper spray on the last build and it seem to seal really well when i pulled the head off it was definitely tacky.
    well thats good to know that im on the right track lol. I never buildt a boosted motor but. not much different the n/a. just lower comp pistons and a better flowed head. great tunning..

Thats what im going to do first is the rods and pistons. then from there let everything else come to play.

Thanks for the adivce man

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

I definitely would prefer the B20A but the truth is parts are getting hard to come by as far as OEM parts. I drive my stock B20A a fair amount now and it definitely has much more power and torque.

I have enough to get my pistons now so I will start looking at machine shops although I think I know where it will be going. I do want my block line bored and I plan to use OEM bearings unless the recommend otherwise. So my plan is to start assembling the block for spring if things stay the same.

Vehicle

B20A is a wonderful engine, however parts are expensive and scarce, thats why i went for A20 boost. Engines and trannies are much cheaper and easier to find, so im less worried about blowing something up

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

I second that recommendation on diamond. I bought my pistons from diamond and I would definitely buy from them again.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

if your old 81mm pistons are still in good shape and you decide to sell them in the spring or whener you get around to it let me know. Im thinking Im not going to be able to afford to boost my car for a long time so a set of stock bore aftermarkets will probably be best for me currently. Thanks rob

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

if your old 81mm pistons are still in good shape and you decide to sell them in the spring or whener you get around to it let me know. Im thinking Im not going to be able to afford to boost my car for a long time so a set of stock bore aftermarkets will probably be best for me currently. Thanks rob
    a20 is 82.7

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

just some feedback on the cometic gasket. it was $65 for the custom one ( i send in a new oem one for them to use as template).

i have some reservations about how it will work under boost. I had 2 issues with headgasket leaking just driving around NA, however, this was most certainly due to improper installation. now that I know how to install it all properly I am much more confidant about the cometic gasket.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

I haven't been on 3geez in forever, just thought I'd check out what is going on for a minute. I tried to find one of my old threads, where I had a pic of my old 5th gear with all the teeth ripped off, to contribute to this one, but the pic was gone, and then I couldn't log in to cardomain. Whatever, I just wanted to reiterate that you can destroy an a20 tranny with an internally stock a20 motor. All I was doing was accelerating down a country road at about 110, I put it in 5th, nothing there, ripped all the damn teeth off the gears. And I know my piece of shit setup at 14lbs and my old ass, worn out, barely alive motor wasn't making that much power, either. Maybe cryogenically treating the tranny, and using an oil actually meant for transmissions, (Not engine oil) will help considerably, I don't know. Another member said the tranny doesn't provide enough oil to the 5th gear assy, so the case could be modified to allow that, too. But keep this in mind when you're going crazy with your engine builds, guys..it would suck to get your setup all built and tuned, just to destroy the tranny the first time out.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    just some feedback on the cometic gasket. it was $65 for the custom one ( i send in a new oem one for them to use as template).

i have some reservations about how it will work under boost. I had 2 issues with headgasket leaking just driving around NA, however, this was most certainly due to improper installation. now that I know how to install it all properly I am much more confidant about the cometic gasket.
    Good to know chris....Well i get ahold of you once i get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    I haven't been on 3geez in forever, just thought I'd check out what is going on for a minute. I tried to find one of my old threads, where I had a pic of my old 5th gear with all the teeth ripped off, to contribute to this one, but the pic was gone, and then I couldn't log in to cardomain. Whatever, I just wanted to reiterate that you can destroy an a20 tranny with an internally stock a20 motor. All I was doing was accelerating down a country road at about 110, I put it in 5th, nothing there, ripped all the damn teeth off the gears. And I know my piece of shit setup at 14lbs and my old ass, worn out, barely alive motor wasn't making that much power, either. Maybe cryogenically treating the tranny, and using an oil actually meant for transmissions, (Not engine oil) will help considerably, I don't know. Another member said the tranny doesn't provide enough oil to the 5th gear assy, so the case could be modified to allow that, too. But keep this in mind when you're going crazy with your engine builds, guys..it would suck to get your setup all built and tuned, just to destroy the tranny the first time out.
    UMM. well i know engine oil is garbage good for stock apps. but once i hit the track it foamed up causing for my clutch to struggle. so i let it cool i jacked up the car pulled the plug and i had so much foam come out im like wow. SO i learned my leason i just run OEM HONDA MTF. or NEO MTF which is a racing oil. I wounder why 5th dont get enought oil Which i would have to look into that forsure......Johnny O needs to tell us how he kept that tranny from blowing out running 10s.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

What do you mean by foam causing your clutch to struggle?
    How many runs did johnny get per tranny?
    I know there was a guy who bolted a b series tranny to the a20, he got an a20 powered civic into the 9s, you guys probably know more about that than I do, it's been a few years since that thread. Shit, I don't even remember if that was on 3geez, now that I think about it..I think the dude's name was jason though. Suppose I could find it if I tried.
    I've experimented with different fluids in my b series honda tranny, and in at least 1 other tranny also, although not at high power levels or on a dyno or anything, I just wanted to see how they felt to shift, etc, and I did notice some differences in how they shifted, cold vs warm, in fuel economy, etc. I had engine oil in a vw tranny, and then the recommended 85/90 or whatever, now I'm curious to try the thicker oil in a honda. Some of the engine oils actually contain extreme pressure additives, too. Most of the 'heavy duty' oils do, although, with ever tightening epa bullshit, the amount that is actually in them is slowly being reduced. I've tried mobil1 synthetic 10/30, straight 30, shell rotella 15/40, some other shit, & now I have some kind of 'racing' fluid meant for manual trannies, I think it's royal purple. Whatever it is, it's a pretty thin fluid, with extreme pressure additives, and it lets me shift as fast as I can blink, although 3rd still grinds when I do that, annoyingly enough. I don't think it is really going out on a limb to say that the oem honda fluid might not be able to prevent damaging metal to metal contact when you double or triple the amount of force on the teeth. But at the same time, I'm not recommending anything else, although I am curious how something thicker would work. I mean, what's the difference in trannies that makes one specify a thin fluid and one specify a thick fluid, if the gears, size, and power requirements are similar? I guess I don't know all that much about that. But I do know the basics about oils, bearings, and additives, and how film strength is proportional to rotational velocity, etc.
    Anyway, have fun with your build!

Vehicle

Struggle meaning i would start to get really hot and start to slip. Oil was foaming up and causing my clutch to get hot. SO i was done for the night..im like need a new clutch. but a stage 1 exedy shouldnt have done that so i changed the oil got me some HMTF and made a huge difference so much smoother and gears go in like butter. the SAE oil i put in felt like it was hard to push in...crappy not smooth. I remember i used to use also was NEO MTF......Best shit ever bro try it. Youll thank me later. Cost alot of money but its well worth it....at one time i had every fuild was neo but i dont have the hook up like i used to so im shit out of luck

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/performance/neo_oil.htm

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

What i did to reduce chances of the infamous 5th gear failure.
    From all the reading i did on 3geez before i installed the LSD. It seemed that the 5th gear section was starving for oil at high speeds due to the oil passage being too small. I Used a step bit and opened the passage as large as i possibly could.
    I thought i had a pic of it. I don't.

I'd hate to open it back up but if you guy's want me to it's cool.

Accordtheroy, It's nice to see you back.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle

Good to know....so you just opened the port aliittle then. SOunds like a plan

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

280 is pretty easy with H22 may

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread