Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thyfire’s 1Geen Restoration - Lots of pics

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Re: Thyfire’s 1Geen Restoration - Lots of pics

Here the other day I removed the fender so I could get to the nasty dent on the front wheel-arch. It was a lot worse than I though. unfortunalty I forgot my camera to take some before pictures of the dent. (you can get an idea from the pictures in my first post, but the really bad part is under the fender.)

Tried taking some pictures with my phone, but the pictures came out shitty because of the reflection of the worklamps ect.

Have a look

I have a friend that works with paint and body on cars, and she help me try to straighten out this dings with this tool, she called it a Bullet head, it welded nails into the deep point of the ding and then used an weight to "pull" it out. Didn't really work satisfactory but it helped a lot.

Here you see after I've used some glassfiber filling, longthreaded, sucks to work with.

You still see the dent pretty good. The tape is just for guidance to see where the profil lines in the arch goes.

Heres after a few layers of PINK(yay) glassfiber bondo.

Done with the lower half of the wheel-arch. Need a layer of fine filler on it though. Take that when I'm done with the top part too.

Here you see the back wheel arch.

I started to put filler on the whole thing, think I messed it up a little, 'cus the shape kinda disappeared, so I have to sand a lot more. Blah.

And if somebody would be so kind, please tell me if the words I'm using is the wrong expression, its hard to know, when I have to use these words that isn't even in the dictionary. Don't know what all the tools and stuff is called in english you see :p
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-02-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Thyfire
    I'll check out those seats first yeah. Recovering is really expensive here, its not worth it. And besides I want new doorpanels, and as you saw in the above pictures I have some really horrible red spraypainted details throughout the interior. Gosh. Hate it!

I agree it would be a hassle shipping stuff like that, try selling it locally.. To bad to see it waste.
    Yeah the red is pretty horrid. I dunno who thought that was a good idea... icky! But I have been intending on selling this stuff for a while, and haven't done it yet. Also, I'll probably ask a lot for it around here so it may not sell at all... definitely will give a good price to a 3geez member though!

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Hmmmm... You dont act like a girl. So I dont believe you.
    Nice car btw. and welcome!
    Last edited by thegreatdane; 11-02-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    Hmmmm... You dont act like a girl. So I dont believe you.
    Nice car btw. and welcome!

best picture I could come up. Can give you a picture/nick photo if you want. but whatever. I don't have to prove anything to you.

Tomisimo here knows me; and if you'll check my previous post, I was excited about a PINK filler!

Besides, check out my rocco. Says Thyfire on the windshield, and if you look at the wreak, you'll se www.streetbiches.net, which was my previous all girl car-club.

Now I'm just flaunting. Thats my Celica.

hey, and you know what, I take it as a complement. You not believing me, means I'm doing a good job. Thanks mate!
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-03-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

And oh; Look at the reflection! well,What do you know, its... ME!

Vehicle

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    You didn't believe me either?

Vehicle

No, I believed you. Just, nice pic.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

No, I believed you. Just, nice pic.
    Oh Thanks

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Wow a lot of work done already; Kudos. So have you decided if you're going to keep it black when you repaint?

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

x2

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by SZfiftyfour View Post
    Wow a lot of work done already; Kudos. So have you decided if you're going to keep it black when you repaint?
    Thank you

I'm goint to keep it black, since I'm not planing to repaint the whole car. Just the whole rightside. My friend is fixing me up with a sweet price. Expect it to be done with paint by Christmas.

Further plans includes changeing front wheel disks and theres a eh.. an electrical problem with the backlight, it seems to blink everytime I brake insted of just lighting. The Rpm-meter needle keeps jumping when I reach 80km/h. I'm still trying to go through the whole car to see what I can improve And the radio is not working, have the orginal one still

Vehicle

The 1g Accord doesn't have the best electrical system design ever. I think the first thing you should do is replace all the fuses. Those glass fuses seem to deteriorate, and though they will work, will cause some weird issues for no reason. Something I learned the hard way, after spending hours and hours trying to diagnose problems, only to find out that all I need to do was replace fuses that appeared to be just fine. Also, the main fuse by the battery would be good to replace as well.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Wow, exciting to see the progress.
    Must admit to liking that original blueish-green, since it's such an unusual colour that only
    Europe & Japan seemed to get. But I wouldn't want to have to change from black either.

Red paint in interior certainly shocking, I heard Brake fluid can be a useful mild paint stripper that doesn't attack some plastics. I think I'm going to have to paint my '77's interior trims back to their original beige as they are starting to to fade (to pink!) & luggage area trims don't seem to like too much sun either.

Scirocco looked gorgeous & would make interesting comparison to Accord even if Accord was always more comfortable & less sporting than early Scirocco, a shame Honda never tried to compete..

Quote Originally Posted by Thyfire View Post

Front fender does also have a nasty ding in it

Since its a chrome part, I don't really know what to do there. Can't seem to find a part, even worse to find since I can't use 79-81 fender (which I actually found...) Anyone know if its possible to use that fender with minor adjustments?

Also I'm hoping to find a new bub/socket to the indicator light on the rightside of the fender (the white one).
    The whole socket just crumbled in my hands when I removed the front fender. Still works tho, but isn't exactly stable.
    I Presume you mean the front bumper?
    The bumpers didn't change through out the 1g Accords '76-81 lifespan apart from their rubber trims & side-pieces (well there was a slight change to the light mountings that doesn't seem to affect anything). Though you might be able to get yours to look vaguely adequate. I've managed to straighten some a bit whilst held in a vice between pieces of wood or hit with a sledge hammer over an appropriate piece of steel (again cushioned by wood)

One of my bumper-light backings/housing also disintegrated, I guess they don't like sunlight. My side/fender indicator lights were also showing signs of it. Luckily I had some spares (although one was from an '81 which had different wiring plugs), other wise I might have reconstructed parts of it from filler. Then I painted them white for sun protection.

Oh & regarding interior trim weights, front seats weigh 10.4 kg each.

That front airdam looks interesting. I want a small one (though a bit bigger than the '79-81 one), but will mount it well back under the car.
    A bonus that you have a passenger side mirror that were only a dealer option here, & surprised yours are in a "normal" location where ours were mounted weirdly rearward for the earliest (1977) Accords here.

My '77's rear lights are also a bit unreliable at the moment but I think it is just dirty/corroded connections at the bulb socket (which are also suffering sun-damage).
    Last edited by 79cord; 11-03-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Wow, exciting to see the progress.
    Must admit to liking that original blueish-green, since it's such an unusual colour that only Europe & Japan seemed to get. But I wouldn't want to have to change from black either.
    Trust me, the blueish-green isn't really that nice. I think black is a really good color, maybe a little boring, but it keeps it together, and last longer over the years to come

Red paint in interior certainly shocking, I heard Brake fluid can be a useful mild paint stripper that doesn't attack some plastics. I think I'm going to have to paint my '77's interior trims back to their original beige as they are starting to to fade (to pink!) & luggage area trims don't seem to like too much sun either.
    Red paint was horrible. Tried using some paint thinner on it, it goes of, but i had to rub it like for 15min and it was just a small area. And the beige is more like... beige with a hint of red. I have a black interior that I'm likely to get a hold of, so I'll try my chances with that first.

Scirocco looked gorgeous & would make interesting comparison to Accord even if Accord was always more comfortable & less sporting than early Scirocco, a shame Honda never tried to compete..
    You have no idea how much I loved that Scirocco. It was everything to me. My first car you know. Sigh. I miss it

I Presume you mean the front bumper?
    The bumpers didn't change through out the 1g Accords '76-81 lifespan apart from their rubber trims & side-pieces (well there was a slight change to the light mountings that doesn't seem to affect anything). Though you might be able to get yours to look vaguely adequate. I've managed to straighten some a bit whilst held in a vice between pieces of wood or hit with a sledge hammer over an appropriate piece of steel (again cushioned by wood)
    Of course I mean the front 'bumper'.. As I said earlier, I'm not really good with the English car lingo. hehe.

As mention earlier, I found a donor car with an intact bumper Hope I could get it shipped.

One of my bumper-light backings/housing also disintegrated, I guess they don't like sunlight. My side/fender indicator lights were also showing signs of it. Luckily I had some spares (although one was from an '81 which had different wiring plugs), other wise I might have reconstructed parts of it from filler. Then I painted them white for sun protection.
    Smart! I guess that was exactly what happed with my car too.

Oh & regarding interior trim weights, front seats weigh 10.4 kg each.

That front airdam looks interesting. I want a small one (though a bit bigger than the '79-81 one), but will mount it well back under the car.
    A bonus that you have a passenger side mirror that were only a dealer option here, & surprised yours are in a "normal" location where ours were mounted weirdly rearward for the earliest (1977) Accords here.

My '77's rear lights are also a bit unreliable at the moment but I think it is just dirty/corroded connections at the bulb socket (which are also suffering sun-damage).
    Haven't really thought about that airdam. Is it a European thing maybe?

I have a friend thats an electrician (the welding guy on the first page)
    He's going to help me find out of the electrical system, I already think I know whats wrong.. Theres been used fueses, or.. eh. Don't really know the word, but anyways, it ruins the electrical current.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

My 1g electrical isnt in the perfect condition either. I had the whole engine bay rewired, replaced any old wires and connectors along with upgraded alt to battery wire and grounds. They seem to help but I think my alternator is dying too

And car progress looks good so far, keep that up

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

You didn't believe me either?
    No, he is just amazed with this facts about you:

A woman that like cars, love old Hondas, fixes the cars herself, is good looking... Geezzz!!
    Marry meee!
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post

A woman that like cars, love old Hondas, fixes the cars herself, is good looking... Geezzz!!
    Marry meee!
    X2

And whats better, shes into older Accords!!!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post

Marry meee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    X2

And whats better, shes into older Accords!!!
    You guys are so sweet
    Lets just hope thegreatdane actually believes me too

Need to get all the cred I can on this project, so I get the support to continue doing my best

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Hey guys; Quick question.

The donor car I found is too far away for me to go get it, so the wreaker said just tell him what parts i want and he'll get prices on shipping.

I'm wondering - what parts is smart to have a backup on?

The parts I got on the list so far is;
    complete interior, front bumper, sidemarker light, and bumper light, windshield wipers front and back+motor. Some trim exterior, around the grill and windows.

Any motor parts where would be smart to stock up on?
    the carburetor?
    I haven't been driving the car all that much, but I drove it a 3hous trip and there was nothing to complaine about, works like a clock.
    Except the front breakdisks, but those i need new anyways

Btw, is it "easy" to color a carpert?
    Wondering if the hassle of shipping one is just as bad as coloring the one I have....
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-03-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: extra question..

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Sorry I couldn't help it, I just wanted to trick you into posting pics
    I'm sure the other guys are happy that I helped them out with what they were too shy to ask for (well I guess that goes for myself as well lol )
    Now, keep up the good work!

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    Sorry I couldn't help it, I just wanted to trick you into posting pics
    I'm sure the other guys are happy that I helped them out with what they were too shy to ask for (well I guess that goes for myself as well lol )
    Now, keep up the good work!
    Haha, well at least I got to flaunt my stuff

And thanks

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Hey guys; Quick question.

The donor car I found is too far away for me to go get it, so the wreaker said just tell him what parts i want and he'll get prices on shipping.

I'm wondering - what parts is smart to have a backup on?

The parts I got on the list so far is;
    complete interior, front bumper, sidemarker light, and bumper light, windshield wipers front and back+motor. Some trim exterior, around the grill and windows.

Any motor parts where would be smart to stock up on?
    the carburetor?
    I haven't been driving the car all that much, but I drove it a 3hous trip and there was nothing to complaine about, works like a clock.
    Except the front breakdisks, but those i need new anyways

Btw, is it "easy" to color a carpert?
    Wondering if the hassle of shipping one is just as bad as coloring the one I have....
    Ok, first thing you NEED to get is that bumper, if it is in really good shape, and maybe the bumper lights.

In the interior the thing you need is the armrests, the red painted ones are ugly!(armrest.. is that the name?), also get the clock if it is good and cheap, just in case.

Front wiper motor is good to have an spare just in case, the front one works alot (in rainy places).
    Exterior trim: The chrome parts around the lights that follow in the hood and under, those are IMPORTANT, grab them if you can. If the one around the grill is cheap, get it also.

Mechanical important parts: The ignition module is an important thing, also an spare distributor, the carburettor, camshaft (if in perfect shape), main rad fan (motor), fuel pump...

Geez.. i am missing some important items now, but i will update when i remember

Note: If you find a roof console, get it! Its a nice bolt-on extra for your car,
    (and has a lot of buttons to play with).
    Last edited by 1GCustomAccord; 11-03-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

Oh, about the carpet.. i saw the Alladin carpet in your car, do you REALLY want to fix that thing?

But really, is not easy to color a carpet, but i washed mine with a professional cleaner and that thing looked almost new!
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1gCustomAccord
    Mechanical important parts: The ignition module is an important thing, also an spare distributor, the carburettor, camshaft (if in perfect shape), main rad fan (motor), fuel pump...
    YES!! Do get those parts! Also get the oil pump gear shaft. It sits between cylinders 2 and 3 under the valve cover (you'll see the gear in the middle of the camshaft) and runs down through the block and drives the oil pump. Might as well snag the starter and alternator too if you can, but they're less important than the distributor and ignition parts and camshaft. And wheels are really hard to come by that fit the 4x120 pattern. So if it has some alloys, get them too.