Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thyfire’s 1Geen Restoration - Lots of pics

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Re: Thyfire’s 1Geen Restoration - Lots of pics

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post
    Ok, first thing you NEED to get is that bumper, if it is in really good shape, and maybe the bumper lights.

In the interior the thing you need is the armrests, the red painted ones are ugly!(armrest.. is that the name?), also get the clock if it is good and cheap, just in case.

Front wiper motor is good to have an spare just in case, the front one works alot (in rainy places).
    Exterior trim: The chrome parts around the lights that follow in the hood and under, those are IMPORTANT, grab them if you can. If the one around the grill is cheap, get it also.

Mechanical important parts: The ignition module is an important thing, also an spare distributor, the carburettor, camshaft (if in perfect shape), main rad fan (motor), fuel pump...

Geez.. i am missing some important items now, but i will update when i remember

Note: If you find a roof console, get it! Its a nice bolt-on extra for your car,
    (and has a lot of buttons to play with).
    Oh, about the carpet.. i saw the Alladin carpet in your car, do you REALLY want to fix that thing?

But really, is not easy to color a carpet, but i washed mine with a professional cleaner and that thing looked almost new!

Thanks for a great answer! Only thing is that I need to change the whole interior, since the donor car has black and mine as you can see is beige. Black interior would be sweeeeet!

But then again, shipping shipping might be a killer.
    I probably need the ceiling cover too..?
    ...and carpet, and all interior and panels ect. Gosh.

My Alladin floormats are up for grabs! XD
    Hehe, it came with the car, and I thought "what the heck", leave in there, till I get some new floormats/interior

BTW, what does the roof console do?
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-03-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added a stupid question..

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Thyfire View Post
    Thanks for a great answer! Only thing is that I need to change the whole interior, since the donor car has black and mine as you can see is beige. Black interior would be sweeeeet!

But then again, shipping shipping might be a killer.
    I probably need the ceiling cover too..?
    ...and carpet, and all interior and panels ect. Gosh.

My Alladin floormats are up for grabs! XD
    Hehe, it came with the car, and I thought "what the heck", leave in there, till I get some new floormats/interior

BTW, what does the roof console do?
    Ok, the beige interior MUST be changed to black or another proper color, but the ceiling can stay the way it is now, dont worry about the ceiling, it match ANY exterior color.

You have 2 options:

1-Paint interior panels black,just as they did with the red armrests (i did it with my new dash that came in brown and i had to paint it blue). (pictures coming tomorow)

2-Get a whole black interior.. hard one...

About the roof console, it does almost nothing but is cute and original. It has front map light, rear map lights, center light and two rows of numbers in the front to "write down" odometer readings. The car looks like a Boeing 747 with that thing in the roof!

PS: My car is getting a black paint too (blue interior)
    Last edited by 1GCustomAccord; 11-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Ok, the beige interior MUST be changed to black or another proper color, but the ceiling can stay the way it is now, dont worry about the ceiling, it match ANY exterior color.

You have 2 options:

1-Paint interior panels black,just as they did with the red armrests (i did it with my new dash that came in brown and i had to paint it blue). (pictures coming tomorow)

2-Get a whole black interior.. hard one...

About the roof console, it does almost nothing but is cute and original. It has front map light, rear map lights, center light and two rows of numbers in the front to "write down" odometer readings. The car looks like a Boeing 747 with that thing in the roof!

PS: My car is getting a black paint too (blue interior)
    Okei, good, then the ceiling cover stays even tho the interior will be black? Would it still match?

My dash is actually black for some reason.

So the only hard part about the interior is the carpet. The chairs, backseat and doorpanels front and back is no problem getting.

I never tried, but a carpet is shaped in the form of the floor, right?
    So you can't fold it/compress it to get smaller when shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    YES!! Do get those parts! Also get the oil pump gear shaft. It sits between cylinders 2 and 3 under the valve cover (you'll see the gear in the middle of the camshaft) and runs down through the block and drives the oil pump. Might as well snag the starter and alternator too if you can, but they're less important than the distributor and ignition parts and camshaft. And wheels are really hard to come by that fit the 4x120 pattern. So if it has some alloys, get them too.
    Woah, lots of parts here. See what I can do. Thanks
    I have actally 2 sets of rims and 3 sets of tires.
    And I have ordered custom alloy rims! Only thing I don't know if to have 14 or 15" on it. Any opinions here?
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

What custom rims are you ordering? I think 15's look very modern and sporty, 14's look a little closer to period-correct but can still be very sporty too. I'm curious because I'm looking for rims for my car too. If you know a place to get some sweet rims in different sizes in 4x120 that would be sweet!!

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

What custom rims are you ordering? I think 15's look very modern and sporty, 14's look a little closer to period-correct but can still be very sporty too. I'm curious because I'm looking for rims for my car too. If you know a place to get some sweet rims in different sizes in 4x120 that would be sweet!!
    I have a firm who will make these for me. They are a Norwegian business, and it would be slightly expencive. I guess there are plenty of places to do this in the stats too?

At first i tried finding the factory Alloy rim to the Accord. Top, second to the left. Love that one.

But, seeing as I infact are custom making these Alloys, I was thinking about maybe doing a 5-spoked alloy rim. Kinda like the Borbet A, but not with all the.. eh. Edge. Get it?

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Okei, good, then the ceiling cover stays even tho the interior will be black? Would it still match?

My dash is actually black for some reason.

So the only hard part about the interior is the carpet. The chairs, backseat and doorpanels front and back is no problem getting.

I never tried, but a carpet is shaped in the form of the floor, right?
    So you can't fold it/compress it to get smaller when shipping?

Woah, lots of parts here. See what I can do. Thanks
    I have actally 2 sets of rims and 3 sets of tires.
    And I have ordered custom alloy rims! Only thing I don't know if to have 14 or 15" on it. Any opinions here?
    Accords combines most interior colors with white roof, they combine well enoug.
    You can get your seats redone in the correct color (because shipping them will be expensive, they are 10 kg each, and big), i did redone mines and those seats looks factory now.
    The carpets can be folded, i have a few new oem sets, and they come folded in a plastic bag.(pics coming )

I have 15" in my car, they were a pain to adapt mainly because i changed from 4x120 to 4x100, that was easy in front, i just used parts from a 1981 Prelude,that is 4x100, and bolt on,but the rear ones... Try not to get in such a mess, just find a set of 4x120 and everything will be just fine.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Accords combines most interior colors with white roof, they combine well enoug.
    You can get your seats redone in the correct color (because shipping them will be expensive, they are 10 kg each, and big), i did redone mines and those seats looks factory now.
    The carpets can be folded, i have a few new oem sets, and they come folded in a plastic bag.(pics coming )

I have 15" in my car, they were a pain to adapt mainly because i changed from 4x120 to 4x100, that was easy in front, i just used parts from a 1981 Prelude,that is 4x100, and bolt on,but the rear ones... Try not to get in such a mess, just find a set of 4x120 and everything will be just fine.

Redoing the seats is like 2000$, while buying + shipping is max 700$ (for all the parts). I hope. And since the carpet can be folded, even better, then I know I can get the complete interior.

Costom making the rims will cost me about 1000-1300$.. I hope its worth it.

That beeing said, I do have the orginal steel rims, sanded and repainted in gold/bronse. They look really hot, but haven't tried them on yet, since I'm working on the car.... Rims are safly kept in the trunk
    You can barely see them on the first picture in the first post.

Vehicle

Redoing the seats is like 2000$, while buying + shipping is max 700$ (for all the parts). I hope. And since the carpet can be folded, even better, then I know I can get the complete interior.

Costom making the rims will cost me about 1000-1300$.. I hope its worth it.

That beeing said, I do have the orginal steel rims, sanded and repainted in gold/bronse. They look really hot, but haven't tried them on yet, since I'm working on the car.... Rims are safly kept in the trunk
    You can barely see them on the first picture in the first post.
    2000 for redoing the seats? Wow, i paid 120 dollars plus 30 for the piece of blue cloth made in usa, total 150$.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

2000 for redoing the seats? Wow, i paid 120 dollars plus 30 for the piece of blue cloth made in usa, total 150$.
    Yeah. Theres a great difference depending on which country
    I'll see what shipping adds up to..

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

You know that my offer is still on :p

Anyway, I spent like $200 getting my seats recovered. I had my door panels redone in black vinyl and painted the rest of the interior trims myself. As long as you use proper paint for plastics, they would last and look as good as stock.

And go with 15"!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Yeah. Theres a great difference depending on which country
    I'll see what shipping adds up to..
    I hear you there, pretty much the same over here. I remember searching for some prices on reupholstering a while back, and prices were starting at 1000 €. Would probably need to find someone who does it just as a hobby or something to get it done cheap. And even then I think just the materials might cost as much as the the whole seats done for across the pond.

Oh, and nice progress with the car. I really like the black, and the rear window spoiler thingy gives it a bit of a sporty look. Can't say too many 1g's look all that sporty.

The interior really is hideous, good thing you're fixing it up.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Need some kind of device of keep the rainwater from staining the suspensions cups.. Damn don't really know what its called

Any bright ideas of what I can do here?

The water travels through the air-vents in the hood.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Naf's Asdf View Post
    I hear you there, pretty much the same over here. I remember searching for some prices on reupholstering a while back, and prices were starting at 1000 €. Would probably need to find someone who does it just as a hobby or something to get it done cheap. And even then I think just the materials might cost as much as the the whole seats done for across the pond.

Oh, and nice progress with the car. I really like the black, and the rear window spoiler thingy gives it a bit of a sporty look. Can't say too many 1g's look all that sporty.

The interior really is hideous, good thing you're fixing it up.
    Thanks for the cred

I was starting to worry that I had check prices for re-doing the seats at the wrong places, Since there were such a differense in prices.
    But you right Naf's Asdf, the prices starts at a horrible rate here. *Shivers*

I got a mail from the junkyard where the donor car is, saying he'll get all my parts and check shipping prices asap, hopefully tomorrow

Vehicle

Need some kind of device of keep the rainwater from staining the suspensions cups.. Damn don't really know what its called

Any bright ideas of what I can do here?

The water travels through the air-vents in the hood.
    There are supposed to be rubber caps that go over those. See if you can get them off of that junkyard car.

Strangely enough, I have pics of mine.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

There are supposed to be rubber caps that go over those. See if you can get them off of that junkyard car.

wait... your car was red

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Thats..really... weird! Haha, genious!
    Then I know what to look for. Super and thanks!

Btw, I'm trying to learn, what are they called? the thing the rubber caps go over?
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-05-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: add question

Vehicle

Um... I don't know what you call them. Strut top caps, maybe?

And yes, my car used to be red, "Tudor Red Metallic" actually. 30 years of UV light will fade out just about anything.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

And yes, my car used to be red, "Tudor Red Metallic" actually. 30 years of UV light will fade out just about anything.
    i thought it was Hot pink faded to baby powerd pink

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    i thought it was Hot pink faded to baby powerd pink
    Fucker beat me to it.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

I call it Hannah Montana Pink.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

You will have to tell us more about your 4x100 so others know what difficulties they may encounter. It took a while to sort out mine but I'm happy with the 2nd gen Prelude rear discs, the ease of replacing frt discs & the ready & cheap availability of 4x100 alloys.
    (But I still wish I could get the Accord "SE" wheels here as well for my '77 !)

------------------------

Regarding parts, check you wiper pivots for wear & looseness too Thyfire, especially the centre one.
    And as a daily driver I found it useful to have a spare pair of driveshafts so I could just swap them over as soon as I spotted a split in their rubber joint gaiters/boots, before they wear from lack of grease & dirt entry (& didn't have to face the mess of replacing the rubbers immediately).
    1st Gen Integra seats should be readily available in black too & aren't hard to fit (pre '81 Accords?) either.
    Last edited by 79cord; 11-05-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Fucker beat me to it.
    I call it Hannah Montana Pink.
    Maybe I should repaint my car PINK Then it wont fade as much, and become a crispy pale white pink-ish in 30 years.., if it still lives

Haven't been to the garage this week, just got a new puppy, and I can't leave it alone either. And I don't think it would like joining me, with all those solvent and dust and loud noices. Hehe..

I'm ordering brake discs on monday, but likely I'm going to order it from an american business. Was wondering if the USDM brake discs are different from the European model?
    Last edited by Thyfire; 11-06-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    You will have to tell us more about your 4x100 so others know what difficulties they may encounter. It took a while to sort out mine but I'm happy with the 2nd gen Prelude rear discs, the ease of replacing frt discs & the ready & cheap availability of 4x100 alloys.
    (But I still wish I could get the Accord "SE" wheels here as well for my '77 !)

------------------------

Regarding parts, check you wiper pivots for wear & looseness too Thyfire, especially the centre one.
    And as a daily driver I found it useful to have a spare pair of driveshafts so I could just swap them over as soon as I spotted a split in their rubber joint gaiters/boots, before they wear from lack of grease & dirt entry (& didn't have to face the mess of replacing the rubbers immediately).
    1st Gen Integra seats should be readily available in black too & aren't hard to fit (pre '81 Accords?) either.
    79cord: Ok, i will post it with pictures in a new thread in the mechanical section, so we can share tips on how to make our cars 4x100.

Thyfire: I am sure that the brake disks are the same in european/usdm models for 1st gen Accords.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

Um... I don't know what you call them. Strut top caps, maybe?
    Btw, I'm trying to learn, what are they called? the thing the rubber caps go over?

They are called: CAP, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNT in the online honda parts catalog.

Part number: 51932-671-014

Goood luck!
    Last edited by 1GCustomAccord; 11-07-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Thyfire: I am sure that the brake disks are the same in European/usdm models for 1st gen Accords.
    Cute one, thanks :p *goes back and corrects*