Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naf's 2.0i-16 | Neverending project and DD

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Naf's 2.0i-16 | Neverending project and DD

...continued from here.

A quick recap.
    This car, or maybe even more, this forum is what got me into cars in the first place. Never really cared what I drove or how it looked before.

What it looked like after the first wash.

Bought the car in February 2008, so close to two years ago now. My dad owned it before me, and he had it for a couple years. He didn't do much to keep it in shape tho, so it had a few rust holes that needed to be taken care of. Had a shop do the rust repairs, and got the thing inspected. In the summer me and my girlfriends brother spent a week with it getting most of the remaining rust off, and giving it a new coat of paint. Wish we would've had more time to do it (we did miss a bunch of things, and the paint didn't come out as good as possible), but can't always get what you want. After that, not a real lot happened for a while.

Then I caught the musthaverarejdmparts disease. Bought a box of stuff from Aaron, including window visors, oem front lip, jdm fixed light corners and jdm ecu, dizzy, ignition module and cam sensor to convert my vacuum advance to electronic. And that's about as far as I am with that, got all the parts now I just need to get it done.

Don't remember the exact time frame, but at some point I also started to investigate the reason my ALBs weren't working. The control unit was giving the code for the front right speed sensor, switched that one out (took about a year to get that done, thanks to A18 for the part). Well turns out I was retarded and the speed sensor wasn't to blame, the CV joint was wrong. The one installed on the car didn't have the ALB gear ring, so no wonder it wasn't working.

I recently replaced the CV joints (which also stopped the clicking/grinding it had been doing from when I bought it) and no more codes. But the ALB light still stays on, which is a mystery of it's own and also something I'm working on to figure out.

This summer I painted my wheels white, got the lip painted and installed, along with repainting the bumper after my neighbor backed into it. Also did some minor mods like painting the window trim and got a new nice leather shifter boot. Also replace the front UCA that had been sounding like an old rocking chair.

Still have a set of lowering springs sitting in a box in the garage waiting, but being a winter driven car in our climate and salted roads the suspension bolts and bushings are too seized up to get them off. I've got a bunch of new bolts and nuts, and part of the bushings, maybe next summer I'll have everything I need to give it the drop it needs.

Current look (aside from that I have the stock wheels on now with the winter tires)

Engine:
    B20A8 (stock so far)

Accessories and factory options:

4wALB (abs)
    Power mirrors, locks, windows, steering and sunroof.
    Cruise control
    Heated drivers seat with adjustable lumbar support. Tilting headrest and seat.
    Leather steering wheel
    Black/grey interior with red accents.

Appearance:

Repainted R51 Phoenix Red (original color), bumpers, mirrors and side trim color matched
    Painted window trim and mirror bases flat black
    White Pinstripe with honda text
    JDM front lip
    JDM clear front corners
    Shaved sidemarkers
    Shaved badges
    Summer wheels (Melber, 15x7) painted white
    Winter wheels, ugly factory 14" enkeis
    OEM window visors
    OEM sunroof visor
    Random rubber spoiler
    Black front grille
    Type R look genuine leather shift boot

Future plans:
    JDM PJ5 ecu and electric advance ignition+dizzy swap
    New wheels
    Fix up ALBs
    Exhaust
    Suspension overhaul (bushings mostly)
    Install lowering springs
    And whatever else that pops up
    Last edited by Nafs Asdf; 11-08-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Re: Naf's 2.0i-16 | Neverending project and DD

I've said it before, but ill say it again, wheels look AWESOME
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    I've said it before, but ill say it again, wheels look AWESOME
    Yay, thanks.

Also first post has been updated... Stay tuned, more to come.

Vehicle

I got mail

Went and picked up the oem sunroof visor from customs today, bought it from Josh89accord. Been wanting one forever so I was pretty excited when getting it, and didn't even have to pay any customs fees or anything.

But as I opened the package I suddenly felt less happy...

Apparently the shipping failed... So now I have two sunroof visors.

When I got home, I whipped out the super glue and started putting humpty dumpty back together. Seemed to hold pretty well.

Almost as good as new!

Washed it and polished it up, and went out in the rain/snow to install it. Was pitch black outside, luckily we have that big ass lamp:

And no I don't have neons in the sunroof, that's the flashlight.
    Gonna take some pics of it tomorrow when it's lighter outside, and the car's not half covered in snow.

Also got another thing in the mail this week. Bought a set of JDM corners from 3gcvc on ebay. These in the pic are actually the old set, put the new ones on the car as soon as I got them as they were in absolutely mint condition. Probably gonna sell this set, think I got a buyer for them over here already.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

who do you want to sell those to? if I might ask

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
    who do you want to sell those to? if I might ask
    Some guy here in Finland I've been talking to a bit over email. He was parting out a B20, and I asked him some shit and we started talking, been trying to get him to join up here but I think the language barrier is stopping him.

Or do you want them? If so, shoot me an offer and best one takes them.

Vehicle

hehehe.. well, idk.. 15euro each? I can get those from chris at Strong Honda in NZ for that price.. with variable shipping rates, but youre closer so it might be less..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

and I'm sorry to see that your visor is broken stupid post office!! but he had to wrap it abit more, just in case like this.

My Build Thread

Vehicle

hehehe.. well, idk.. 15euro each? I can get those from chris at Strong Honda in NZ for that price.. with variable shipping rates, but youre closer so it might be less..
    I'll have to get back to you on that, I'll se what the other guy wants to pay.
    Might be a bit cheaper to ship it from here, but doubt it would be a huge difference.

and I'm sorry to see that your visor is broken stupid post office!! but he had to wrap it abit more, just in case like this.
    Yeah, the packaging wasn't the best. But meh, shit happens.

Vehicle

yea, I hate when shit like that happens..

My Build Thread

Vehicle

Took a couple pics of the visor in daylight

Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i

looking great, man. I know how you feel about this car / this forum getting you into cars - same for me - my first 3G and this forum (courtesy of Milatary_Mase's secksy lambo-doored 3G are what got me into cars.

Your 3g is looking great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy on another forum
    Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.
    Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I don't care if your car is fast, making it look like a dirty hookers butthole is not right.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Looks good! ... its allready snowing there? lucky!! lol it was about 100f here yesterday..

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

those wipers on the lights look convenient in that weather

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

I love your accord Naf's, looks great. I really like the red, it surprisingly works quite well on a sedan.

I have a spare sunroof visor if you want? Don't want anything for it, just pay shipping if you want it. Let me know, it's not going anywhere, just sitting in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    Looks good! ... its allready snowing there? lucky!! lol it was about 100f here yesterday..
    It has snowed here too about a month ago... No snow right now though "knocks on wood"

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
    looking great, man. I know how you feel about this car / this forum getting you into cars - same for me - my first 3G and this forum (courtesy of Milatary_Mase's secksy lambo-doored 3G are what got me into cars.

Your 3g is looking great!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    lol, yea I'd melt away in that heat.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    those wipers on the lights look convenient in that weather
    Heh, yea I guess. Altho the heat from the headlights usually do a good job keeping them snow free.

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    I love your accord Naf's, looks great. I really like the red, it surprisingly works quite well on a sedan.

I have a spare sunroof visor if you want? Don't want anything for it, just pay shipping if you want it. Let me know, it's not going anywhere, just sitting in my garage.

It has snowed here too about a month ago... No snow right now though "knocks on wood"
    Thanks, might take you up on that offer. Want to get a shipping quote for me? I'm pretty low on cash right now tho, so maybe in a month or two I could get it.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Car looks hot as always! I shipped someone a sunroof visor and the same thing happened. I gave the guy all his money back, so I was out like $30 in shipping fees.

Vehicle

Alternator crapped out on me today..:
    The warning light doesn't come on with the ignition, and lights up when starting. That means it's fuckered, right? Voltage at the battery with the car off is 12+, and 11 something when idling, so it's not charging.

So now I need to find a replacement somewhere... Will an A20 alternator fit the B20? Or do I need to find a B20 one? A new one is pretty much out of the question since reman ones are over 100 euro (+trading in the old one), and Honda probably charges 500 euro for a new one.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

You can use the A20A4 alternator but you have to swap the drive pulleys and I'm not sure but you might have to use a washer or 2 at the top alternator mount.
    But if you have an A20A4 alternator you should try replacing the regulator-rectifier-brush assembly first though. It's easy to swap out and is very often the one that goes bad. It's mounted on the rear end of the alternator. (the carbed alternators have a different regulator-brush assembly)

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    You can use the A20A4 alternator but you have to swap the drive pulleys and I'm not sure but you might have to use a washer or 2 at the top alternator mount.
    But if you have an A20A4 alternator you should try replacing the regulator-rectifier-brush assembly first though. It's easy to swap out and is very often the one that goes bad. It's mounted on the rear end of the alternator. (the carbed alternators have a different regulator-brush assembly)
    ok, I'll just get a b20 one then. Luckily the guy who wanted my extra set of jdm corners has an extra b20 alternator, so we're gonna just swap those.

I read that on the a20 you can get the alternator out from above by removing the air box, I guess that applies to the b20 too?

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

absolutelyidelly

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle

Got the alternator out on Friday, had to take off the splash guard to be able to get at the nut from underneath. Wasn't enough room to be able to get it off from above, which I realized after trying for two hours.

Thought I'd start with the cheapest option first, so I replaced the brushes and hooked the wires back up, but the warning light is still off when I turn the ignition. So I took it apart again and tried to figure out what's wrong.

I've come to the conclusion that it's most likely the rectifier that's bad, but I'm not totally sure since I don't know how to check it. I'm not really getting the directions in the shop manual.

Don't know about the regulator either, but if it were bad wouldn't it overcharge instead of not charging at all?

The rest of the alternator checks out fine according to the tests in the manual.

The rectifier and regulator are sold differently (about 28 euro each) and I'd like to not have to get both if I can get away with just getting either one.

Also, if you were a 12mm wrench, where would you go hide in the engine bay? I managed to drop two of these while getting the alt out, and I can't find them!?

Then I also found out I have another problem, the sunroof drains are probably clogged because half the car was soaking wet. Had a cabin heater in there for a day and a night, and now it's pretty much dry. Altho I can feel the roof under the liner (when I stick my hand in behind the sunroof) is full of condensed water ready to drip down on the headliner.

Any tips on the easiest way to get the drains unclogged?

Vehicle

No one?

Anyways, picked up the rectifier yesterday and installed it. Figured I had a 50/50 shot of it working. I put the alternator together with the new part, and went out in the rain to install it. Was a bitch to get back in the bracket, as it was tight as hell. After about an hour of cursing I had enough and took out a file and took a couple swipes at the alternator, first try and I got it in place.

After I got everything hooked up I turn the ignition and damn, still no light when turning on the power. Warning light doesn't come on when starting it up anymore tho, which is weird as it's still not charging. Battery has 11.9V with the car off and 11.3V with it running. Checked the fuses and warning light and they're all fine, so I guess I'll pick up the regulator today and try with that.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

i wish i saw this thread earlier, when the alt fucks out check the regulator 1st they allways fuck out 1st

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    i wish i saw this thread earlier, when the alt fucks out check the regulator 1st they allways fuck out 1st
    Yeah, I'll find out tonight if it was the regulator.