DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lx-i, 06 GMC Sierra

Re: 2ndGenGuy's '81 Hatchback MegaJolt Lite JR Conversion

anything new?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Oh yeah. Well let's see. I finished the engine rebuild a long time ago. The megajolt is super reliable. I haven't had a single problem with it. Car runs about 4000x. Better. Taken it on some road trips, driven it all over, take it camping all the time. Starts up quickly every time. Runs super smooth. Next project will probably be to set up the cold idle advance so that the idle doesn't dip when it's cold. But it was worth the work and worth every penny. Also yeah I put in some ARP head studs so hopefully the gasket won't blow again.

Vehicle
    3G Accord CA3

The more I hear of this I really want to go with megajolt thanks man awesome !!!

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

i love megajolt, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hondalude86 View Post
    any more updates? or advice? hahaha
    This!

Hows the car been running?

Vehicle
    81 Hatch & 80 Sedan

Been researching this today and found this video of a test bench.

I.E. you can run an EDIS4 ignition without a megajolt and get 8 degrees advanced timing. Megajolt is only for timing. ...and some cool relay tricks.

also found this video: 924s With 1993 Ford Escourt EDIS Ignition Controled By Megajolt Lite Jr V4 - YouTube
    not worth watching but some interesting points

"I installed a new trigger wheel and a modified sensor. The wiring is basicly complete. I found a couple problems in the wiring (loose conections to teh VR sensor) as well as I upgraded the triger wheel to 3/8" thickness (from 1/4") as well as increesing the diamiter of teh wheel that resulted in larger teeth. The bottom line is a much impreved signal to the EDIS especially at higher RPM's. This ting now goes like a run away train. It very mcuh remiondes me of driving a RX7 rotory where the power just keep building and building there is no fall off around 5500 as there is with the stock ignition."

"Sorry to here you are having trouble. I have had it on the car now for more then 100K miles with out issue. A couple things to understand. Megajolt does not make or cause the spark to be week or strong. It does not generate the spark. It only allows you to adjust the timing of the spark. You have an issue with either grounding or the wiring to the coil/ edis unit. Don't bash Brent for this he has no control over that. Try unplugging the megajolt you should have the same week spark."

Lastly...a thought. What if the trigger wheel was on the old distributor. Gear driven and i could control timing. no pulley slip. in the first video, the sensor is on the side of the wheel instead of facing the edge. Just a thought for a $70 solution.(to start)

Vehicle
    81 Hatch & 80 Sedan

aparently, it's been done. Since the Cam gear idles at 1/2 the pace of the crank, it has to be a 72-2. I.E. a 72 tooth gear, missing 2 teeth 180˚ apart. Then you have to offset 45˚ instead of 90˚.

Pretty sure, i am going to try this.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

I'm not sure if it would provide much advantage if the distributor is still controlling/advancing/retarding the ignition timing as required, & needs good bearings to do so as their most worrying wear area. '79& on Accords already having electronic ignition to replace points & reduce spark wear in the distributor.

Nm
    Last edited by 89T; 02-26-2015 at 06:04 AM.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR