Thread: Floppy shifter

DX User

Floppy shifter

Well I guess the little plastic bearing in the shifter linkage went, as my shifters a little floppy in the shift gates. Anybody have a part number or know exactly what the part is called that I need? It's for an 81 Accord Hatch. Thanks guys!

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Re: Floppy shifter

My '77 has highlighted that I could do with a more precise shifter linkage in my '79 Accord too, though the Shiftlinkages were changed for the '81 model year....
    Anyway.

I had noticed the 1st gen Civic forum had an interesting topic on the subject:
    http://www.1stgencivic.org/world/c1z...opic.php?t=139

And I found looking up this online Honda Parts catalogue useful:http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/...isplayAll=True

Providing, For '81 models :

in the Chassis area.
    So there are a number of possible seats, mountings & bushings that may contribute to the problem.
    Part 10 54110-692-020 , SEAT, SHIFT LEVER BALL ?
    seems to be the part that directly locates the main (central) shift lever ball-pivot

And for '76- '80 models:

Part 8 54110-689-000 , SEAT, SHIFT LEVER BALL (NOT AVAILABLE) ??
    Possibly the/a newer seat could be sanded down as the Civic forum proposes for their cars?

Though they also mention replacing {the lower pivot?} bushings with sealed bearings (as used in '82-'85 Accord shifters?).

If it's totally loose & not just imprecise the rear mounting (2) of '81 models might have come adrift/undone... My CR-X did that so its linkage banged against the exhaust (though I could still change gears).
    Last edited by 79cord; 11-20-2009 at 01:59 AM.

DX User

Thanks for the reply 79cord. I don't believe its come loose completely because it's just a little wobbly when in gear. I can still shift fine, grinds going into third once in a blue moon. I think I tried ordering that part there (number 10) from a site, but it ended up being out of stock. Sometimes its hard to find places that ship to Canada.

Do you know if I can access that bearing from inside the car, under the shifter? Or would I have to open up the linkage under the car?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I need to replace mine too and never got around to fix that.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Probably best to get under the car and take a look. You can buy all kinds of parts, but if you only need a $2 bushing, your time is better spent inspecting than buying. My '76 had slop for days. I lived with it 'cause I didn't know enough to fix it. Was too poor anyway at that time.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

Definitely did take a look and I can see some wiggle in the linkage, but there's no way to tell if its the bushings without opening up the linkage. If I'm gonna go that far, might as well know which bushings I need, order them, and replace? No?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Actually yeah, you're right. You will most likely have to drop the exhaust and a heat shield to see the one side of the linkage. You probably don't want to go to all that trouble just to do an inspection. I just did my linkage on the 3g when I did my MT swap. I was rebuilding the engine too so the exhaust was already down and I was just thinking about the heat shield. Sorry.

If it helps, when I was gathering parts for the swap from the yard I had to look for a while to find parts #13 & 14 from the lower diagram above that weren't falling apart. You might look at those. You should be able to inspect them pretty easily. Just remove the bolt and pull it apart.

If I had to guess, part #3 (lower diagram again) is probably getting tired too.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

So I thought I'd hijack this thread about my findings on the sloppy shifter. Seems like my #10 in '81 diagram are fine. I couldn't check the rest of the bushings since its getting dark but I'll do that later tomorrow.

So far I found that my #13 is worn out. Referring to this pic, there was supposed to be some kind of o-ring on the right side which of course are all softened up and barely holding it inside the shifter whatever you call it at the bottom and there quite amount of play in there alone.

And me being me, cleaning them up:

I'll get the shifter cut and extended under the ball thinggy to shorten the throw tomorrow since I'm too cheap to get a proper short shifter haha
    Last edited by Hazwan; 11-30-2009 at 11:51 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Oooh yes, let us know how it goes! My shifter is all sloppy too. Also, nice keyboard. I have that same one I'm typing on now.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If I know anything, this will turn into the insane shifter mega mod from hell that we'll all read and go, fuuugg, why didn't I think of that...

Nice work Hazwan. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    If I know anything, this will turn into the insane shifter mega mod from hell that we'll all read and go, fuuugg, why didn't I think of that...

Nice work Hazwan. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    lol no nothing special with this just your basic bush replacement.

So I bought all the replacement parts yesterday. I bought #17, 18 and 13 from the first diagram. Everything else seems to be good. I had to find something that fit instead of going for genuine replacement parts. Replaced the bolts too while I'm at it.

And I couldn't get the shifter modded since nobody would weld them for me Oh well I guess I'll find someone that could weld or save my money for proper short shifter.

Here are some pics, sorry about the quality. My camera dies for good and I had to use my phone.

Old on the right and obviously new on the left

I had to grind the linkage a little since new bushings are slightly wider than original

It fits perfectly and I have yet to tighten the bolts. And somebody replaced the pins or w.e that was before with nut and bolts. It wasnt supposed to be removable. Only the part that attached to the tranny does.

That stuff with new o-ring on

Greased up and ready to install

And that made my shifting feels 1000x better, theres still slight slop but definitely improves the feel. I could wiggle the shifter around while in gear before and now it stays tight! Just a slight play but that doesnt bother me much.

If you have sloppy shifter, my money is on your #8, 13, 17, 18 and possibly 1, 10 and 20. Mine is still okay so I leave them alone.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Hazwan, can you lead me in the right direction of what you found that worked as a replacement? I have an 81 Accord that both #17's are completely gone and haven't been able to track down a suitable replacement. Thanks.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by wiltms View Post
    Hazwan, can you lead me in the right direction of what you found that worked as a replacement? I have an 81 Accord that both #17's are completely gone and haven't been able to track down a suitable replacement. Thanks.
    You could try 54225-SE0-300 from the 86-89 accords. They use the same plastic outer bushing... You may need to cut the inner metal sleeve shorter as it looks to extend further on the 3g.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Thanks LX, I'll give them a shot. Once I get them I'll let you all know how it works out.

Once again LX, thank you. You were exactly right. Got them in today looked at them, held them up to the linkage and saw they had to be cut. Easiest way to describe how much to cut off is looking at the bushing cut it off right where the rubber flairs in to the metal sleeve. Cutting both of them like this made them a nice snug fit that at first on the bench I didn't think it would work because they wouldn't line up straight, but I went ahead and put them on the car and it only took a small amount of outward pressure on the linkage and everything lined right up. So just as LX suggested if you need those bushings order part # 54225-SE0-300 and cut them down. Cheap easy fix for mine and loving being able to find all gears, not just 3rd and 4th.