Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: well time for a new battery

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LX

Re: well time for a new battery

i had a duralast gold and it worked very well but the one i got was 1000 cranking amps and 800 CCA but i had beat in my car so it worked out and oh it was group 34 battery, it takes up the whole battery tray space.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    I've heard a TON of very conflicting arguments about odyssey batteries.

eg: Great deep cycle, meaning TONS of cranking amps, vs
    They deep cycle, which means they cant crank in the cold

They aren't fully charged until 15v, unlike normal batteries, which means they wont last as long because they are constantly undercharged, vs
    My odyssey battery lasts forever!

I dunno, hard to wade through all of the different crap i've heard.
    they are both a deep cycle and a cranking battery, they are fully charged at regular battery voltages, if you run one all the way down,it will come back up to 400 times with no damage, but if it's totally dead, you need to use a voltage controlled charger, to bring it back to 100 percent. they have a list of approved chargers from different makers, on their home page. if you use a cheap charger, and it goes above 15 volts, which a lot of chinese junk does, it will cause the emergency vent to open the battery will out gas, and be ruined, the high voltage a lot of cheap chargers use, is bad for about any battery. They have no current limit on charging, just a voltage limit, you can put as many amps in as you want, as long as the voltage stays below 15 volts. The good thing about these batteries, is if you take care of them, they will last for years. the pc625 i want is just over a hundred bucks, compare that to a cheap battery, then figure in a collector car, they are estimated to last for about a decade. I don't have a huge stereo, so i don't need a large battery, the car runs on the alternator anyway, when it's running. even with a dead alternator, this battery would go 30 minutes with a 25 amp load, cut off everything not needed and it could last a couple of hours. this will get you out of a dangerous situation easy. as far as cold cranking amps, they test their cca at 0 degrees Fahrenheit, most average batteries are tested at 32 degrees. so the cca may look low, but the batteries are tested at a much colder temp. test them at the same temp as a regular battery, and they actually produce more. the design of these batteries lets them put out a lot of current in a hurry if needed
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 12-02-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

I'd have to agree with Tim here guys. The bad stuff I heard on these, most of the time it's operator abuse. As Tim has said take care of it and they'll last. I will probably be picking one of these up when the battery dies in the coupe I just bought.

I've been wanting to try one but just haven't had a need to since the optima in the sedan is still operating well.

But Tim I have a Schumacher smart charger it has a gel cell setting this should handle the Odyssey right?
    Phil

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    I'd have to agree with Tim here guys. The bad stuff I heard on these, most of the time it's operator abuse. As Tim has said take care of it and they'll last. I will probably be picking one of these up when the battery dies in the coupe I just bought.

I've been wanting to try one but just haven't had a need to since the optima in the sedan is still operating well.

But Tim I have a Schumacher smart charger it has a gel cell setting this should handle the Odyssey right?
    Kinda what i was thinking. A ton of the bad comments left things out, stuck them on cheap chargers, ran them empty and didnt fully charge them(repeatedly), etc. Proper care does wonders, no?
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    I think that's mostly due to how many people here drive fords and/or crappy cars.

Vehicle

it depends on the output voltage of the charger, i'll have to find the link, I just know a lot of people run these batteries, and are very happy with them. You can get them in a lot of different sizes too.

Vehicle

I did a ton of research and searched a bunch of opinions before i decided to run the odyssey, i just don't have the money to go pick it up yet, i already built the box to fit the pc625. it's the one that's in the old toolbox. you can figure if someone spends years building a hot rod or a custom, and decided to built it just for one of these batteries, you know it's good. they also have an odyssey approved for aircraft use now, that says a lot,takes a lot of work to get FAA certification.

Vehicle

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Well i need a battery that's good in the cold,and something i can put in the trunk.Might have to go with a seal battery box.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by import racer View Post
    Well i need a battery that's good in the cold,and something i can put in the trunk.Might have to go with a seal battery box.
    the odysseys are good in the cold, don't be fooled by the cca, they test at a lower temp then standard. I know lots of people with them and i'm sold on them. I just hope i can get mine soon so i can start testing circuits.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    So, stay away from valuecrap and neverstart. Just spend the extra on a decent battery.
    Agreed - I put an Everstart battery in the Accord and the terminals (which were brand new) corroded over in just a few months. I even used those little anti-corrosion felt rings (do those even work at all?).

I must say all this talk of Optima batteries being crap has me concerned - I just put a Yellowtop in the Jeep in October (yep, it's made in Mexico). It's been fine other than the time I left the lights on overnight and drained it, but it charged back up no problems and has been fine since.

Vehicle

Optima batteries are fine.
    Phil

Vehicle

Optima batteries are fine.
    did you read the thread where people were given the chance to tell optima their opinions? 90 percent negative, there would have been hundreds of complaints if they hadn't cut off the thread eventually ,before it became a mob. And those are people who put a lot of work in their cars, and expected the battery to live up to it's expectations. I never listen to the companies advertising i listen to peoples experiences. it's pretty much they used to be the shit, now they are shit. once they moved the factory they raised the price and lowered the quality. on the other hand the Odyssey has tons of positive comments all over the web, the complaints on it seem to be people not understanding about using the proper charger

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Well optima battery battery sucks I read about it and hearing from you guys then this company should just scrap them shits and produce a better battery or if not shut down the plant and ossydey sounds like a good battery

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Going on 3years with my redtop the only time it has failed is when the car sat for a long while

Vehicle

I've had mine for about 7-8 years now and it's still strong.
    Phil

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I've had mine for about 7-8 years now and it's still strong.
    yeah but was it made in mex?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Shyboy88Lx-i View Post
    yeah but was it made in mex?
    it's been the ones made in the last couple of years that are the problem batteries, since the move

I run the duralast golds in all 4 of my cars, low to mild sound systems and dont have any problems with them. Also you can't beat the warranty.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

I guess only time will tell. In 20 years I never had a battery last longer than three years until I bought my Optima Red Top in 2002. It lasted six years. In addition, when it went bad it continued to start the car, though cranking slowly. Every other battery just stopped cranking abruptly. I am personally sold on the Optimas, regardless of the comments made here.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

FYI there are only like three battery manufactors in the US and they go out to all brands for example:walmart, autozone etc.. so in other words you stand to get the exact same battery no matter where you buy it.
    Just get a good free replacement warrenty, long as possible, that means no pro rated replacement for at least say 18 months or so. yes

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    FYI there are only like three battery manufactors in the US and they go out to all brands for example:walmart, autozone etc.. so in other words you stand to get the exact same battery no matter where you buy it.
    Just get a good free replacement warrenty, long as possible, that means no pro rated replacement for at least say 18 months or so. yes
    thats the other reason i'm going with odysey,they make their own batteries right here.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

I like Duralast red tops, Have had great times with them.

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    I guess only time will tell. In 20 years I never had a battery last longer than three years until I bought my Optima Red Top in 2002. It lasted six years. In addition, when it went bad it continued to start the car, though cranking slowly. Every other battery just stopped cranking abruptly. I am personally sold on the Optimas, regardless of the comments made here.
    Unfortunately they arent localized for here. Almost every forum reviewing optimas is great until the johnson controls takeover. After that, all thats been said is garbage.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Unfortunately they arent localized for here. Almost every forum reviewing optimas is great until the johnson controls takeover. After that, all thats been said is garbage.

I hope that's not the case with the one I bought last August. At least they have a long non pro-rated warranty. I think it is three years. The last one I had in there was the best battery the car has ever had. I think Wal Mart batteries are a lot better now than they were in the past. They changed manufacturers a few years ago. Before that I had one that lasted a mere 16 months. I have also had good luck with Delco batteries, believe it or not. The car came from the factory with a Delco and I bought one just before the Optima from a commercial battery place.