Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: well time for a new battery

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Re: well time for a new battery

Well I got a duralast for now and new terminals in case but until I find a relocation to the trunk then ill sell my battery later

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

you can run 2 batteries in parallel if they are the same make/model and age like alot of heavy trucks do. If they are mismatched, they may discharge eachother, and youd need either a battery isolator or a switched solenoid to isolate each battery from eachother when the car is off.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    you can run 2 batteries in parallel if they are the same make/model and age like alot of heavy trucks do. If they are mismatched, they may discharge eachother, and youd need either a battery isolator or a switched solenoid to isolate each battery from eachother when the car is off.
    thats what i'm doing, when the alternator is running they will both see an equal voltage, i have a battery solenoid that will separate the aux battery when the engine isn't running. the other nice thing is with an aux battery, if you run the main down somehow, once you switch on the ignition, it's like jump starting your own car.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    thats what i'm doing, when the alternator is running they will both see an equal voltage, i have a battery solenoid that will separate the aux battery when the engine isn't running. the other nice thing is with an aux battery, if you run the main down somehow, once you switch on the ignition, it's like jump starting your own car.
    Where do I find a battery solenoid? Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
    Last edited by nswst8; 12-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Phil

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    Where do I find a battery solenoid? Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
    pretty much except you really don't need the extra solenoid, they added it so you could switch off main batter power to the amp to work on it, it's just as easy to disconnect the battery to work on your stereo wiring, they also added a switch to turn on the isolator solenoid , all you have to do is run ignition power through an inline fuse to the solenoid coil. then it's switched on to charge any time you have the car running . with a couple of diodes you can also run fused power from the second battery through a switch to the solenoid coil, this allows you to use the second battery as a primary in an emergency. you use the diodes so power to the coil doesn't feed back into the ignition circuit.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I read this in hotrod and found it on the Optima website. Its under FAQ charging section. In a nut shell they are saying if the battery goes below 10.5v they wont take a charge with a regular battery charger the internal resistance is to low.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

Quote:

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

End quote:

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Well i have an energizer battery that i bought at Walmart 3 years ago and I've had no problems.And when i bought it the guy said if i had any problems to bring it back and they'd replace it no questions asked.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Well since I purchased the redtop I haven't had no problems battery reads 12v...
    But I don't like how it looks in my car I've been thinking of relocating the thing but I also don't want a huge black box in the trunk....so I read picos thread and ima go with that since it looks better and gives it more room for a cold air intake