Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gicleur size!!

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

Re: Gicleur size!!

My car has a shaved head and oversized valves which surely did not help in valve clearance issues...its now a "true" interference motor....but just barely...the intake valves are what bent, the exhaust valves were okay.

For HP, I hope to have it dynoed in the spring...I never got around to it this year...its sitting at about 10.6:1.

And yes, flat EL pistons would have bumped the compression way over....but it would also have caused interference with the valves with the EK rods...with the stroke being as long as it is the pistons come up way to high...they nearly crown the deck.

That old Accord is a strange one for sure...did it have the CVCC head as well or the EL head?
    Last edited by redr2; 12-10-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Perhaps that was to allow for dealers than may still have had old stocks due to shipping time or cars assembled outside of Japan from CKD ( Completely knocked Down "kits") like Malaysia to reduce import duties.

The EF/EG were
    Bore x Stroke: 74x93 mm
    Displacement: 1600 cm3
    C/R Rating: 8.0:1 (CVCC), 8,4:1 (Non-CVCC)

Though so I was always confused about where 1598cc actually came from?

2nd gen, post '81 EL 1602 had slightly domed pistons to raise compression ratio to 8.8:1.

So were you staying 1602 or going 1751cc with the Quintet engine... the Last cars to get EL.

Maybe the 1598 mentioned in the manual is possibly just the EG-EF engine, both have different bore/stroke than the EL/EK.

The good thing about the last EL is the factory bigger valves.
    I will stay in 1602 because i love how it behaves, due to the shorter stroke, and how quick ir raises RPM, sure it has less low end torque than the biger one but with some work on the head mufflers etc, above 3500 RPM the 1602 is a blast. Also i have both crankshafts, the longer and shorter stroke ones, but i dont have the con rods for the 1751 crank, so assembling a 1751 will be more difficult.

Update on the JET size! thread: The car came back, the slightly lean mix caused by the 110 main jet i installed is not enough to make the car run smooth, i will have to change for a bigger one.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Quote Originally Posted by redr2 View Post
    My car has a shaved head and oversized valves which surely did not help in valve clearance issues...its now a "true" interference motor....but just barely...the intake valves are what bent, the exhaust valves were okay.

For HP, I hope to have it dynoed in the spring...I never got around to it this year...its sitting at about 10.6:1.

And yes, flat EL pistons would have bumped the compression way over....but it would also have caused interference with the valves with the EK rods...with the stroke being as long as it is the pistons come up way to high...they nearly crown the deck.

That old Accord is a strange one for sure...did it have the CVCC head as well or the EL head?
    Sure the shaved head and bigger valves helped buddy
    Ill be waiting for those dyno results!!
    No CVCC came to this country untill at least 1983 or 4, all Accords untill 1981 came with non CVCC heads here, a very good thing for sure!!.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

Ya, you will definitely not be dissapointed with the EL...To be honest, any benefit I expected with the larger EK and the extra 150 CC's was not noticeable for me anyway.

I would have stuck with the EL myself but stumbled accross a brand new fully rebuilt EK .... a fraction of what I could of rebuilt my EL for so I went that route. I still have my EL shortblock though...I may try something fun with it one day

I hope to have it dynoed in the spring (April) ...I have a cam to swap back in (I ran a stock one this last summer). I will post the results and a video of the sound too....with the reground cam the sound is awesome at about 6000 rpms....

The good thing about the last EL is the factory bigger valves.
    I will stay in 1602 because i love how it behaves, due to the shorter stroke, and how quick ir raises RPM, sure it has less low end torque than the biger one but with some work on the head mufflers etc, above 3500 RPM the 1602 is a blast. Also i have both crankshafts, the longer and shorter stroke ones, but i dont have the con rods for the 1751 crank, so assembling a 1751 will be more difficult.