Thread: Have any of you tried cleaning out the Idle Air Control Valve on these cars

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Have any of you tried cleaning out the Idle Air Control Valve on these cars

It does not work on every IACV on all cars. But these seem to be very basic ones. Started to get a rough stumble at start up then the fast idle valve takes over and then warms up drops down and runs fine. It is the IACV. They get carboned up over time and can cause these symptoms. You must use a carb cleaner that will not harm 02 sensors ( Because of the probe inside the IACV operates the same way). So has anyone tried it on these with success?
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Re: Have any of you tried cleaning out the Idle Air Control Valve on these cars

That part isn't the IACV from our cars is it? It doesn't look like it, or as I remember it anyway. What I DO remember is what it took to connect the coolant hose from the valve to under the intake manifold. I couldn't do it, and my mechanic said he used up his daily ration of cuss words on the job.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    That part isn't the IACV from our cars is it? It doesn't look like it, or as I remember it anyway. What I DO remember is what it took to connect the coolant hose from the valve to under the intake manifold. I couldn't do it, and my mechanic said he used up his daily ration of cuss words on the job.
    That is the back view that mates to the manifold. So you can see the plunger inside. I just am curious if anyone has done it on here. Here is the front view that should look more familiar.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Yeah, you have to clean the coolant chamber on the bottom as well.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    You have done it and had good results?

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Maybe this is something I should consider, but I guess I'll wait until I have an issue. I just replaced the two little coolant hoses. OTOH, it looks like it comes off easily, so maybe a candidate for preventative maintenance.

I've had zero idle problems in the 8 years and 140k miles I've had the car. Maybe I'm fortunate?

Vehicle

Yes, it helped.
    Phil

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    I imagine the gaskets are available from Honda?

Vehicle

Gaskets were not completely bad, I just added some gasket sealant Blue RTV sensor safe.
    Phil

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

i had a stubling idle once... the iacv was completely blocked and full of carbon... swapped it out for a used one (in better condition) and it worked fine... but as far as cleaning goes... i just used soap and water and it works fine even for the water jackets on the bottom.. be sure not to get the electrical wet or youll have problems til the part dries
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed
    364,XXX and counting :]

I have a weird idling issue when it starts up... the RPM's bounce up and down for a while, then smooth out. Would this be a cause for that?

Where the heck is that at on the motor?
    87 Hatchback Lxi - 294,000 miles - 5 Speed

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

^^if your car is an 87 it may not even have one iacv is 88-89 only but you will have a fast idle valve which will be causing the rev bouncing its on the back of the intake manifold with a cap and 2 screws holding it on.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    ^^if your car is an 87 it may not even have one iacv is 88-89 only but you will have a fast idle valve which will be causing the rev bouncing its on the back of the intake manifold with a cap and 2 screws holding it on.
    Didn't know that. I will have to see if I can find that...
    87 Hatchback Lxi - 294,000 miles - 5 Speed

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Cleaning it did not work for me. It will either rarely work or get worse on a 22 year old part.My got worse ( barely idled after cleaning and drying for days) So since I did alot of work on the car the past few days, I decided to splurge and get a brand spankin' new one. I tell you it is a beautiful thing. No minor stumble at start up and idles as the day it was born. It was worth it to me.

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Where is this valve located im gettin a code 14 for some reason today

Vehicle
    88 LXi

middle of the intake manifold. Has a 3 ? pin connector and 2 coolant lines hooked to it. I have had to loosen the lines and get air out there that the bleeder would not.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I have had to loosen the lines and get air out there that the bleeder would not.

wp
    That's a great idea. I have resorted to jacking up the front of the car, but I'm still getting some idle bounce when cold.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

the cold start issue might be the thermovalve on the manifold... i blocked that one off and the iacv and it was good... cold starts were a bit low on the rpm scale but when it warmed up it idled like a champ
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed
    364,XXX and counting :]

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lxi hatch

that picture is not the valve for our accords thats probabaly off a civic and yes if you clean it out it helps.

and if your revs are bouncing its because the thing on the inside got loose and all you have to do is tighten her back up and clean the inside and your problem should go away.

and its located right next to the throttle body on back of the intake 3 bolts hold it on and two coolent hoses on the bottom.

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Danny that is it bro .....It only on a 88-89 .home slice..

And thanks for the bleeding idea. Ol BlUE YOUR THE MAN

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lxi hatch

WOOOOOWWWW!!!!! i cant believe i forgot about the dual air flow intakes haha

sorry guys i forgot.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

I cleaned mine out with a set of dental picks and sensor safe FI cleaner. Took an hour or so. I filled my IACV up though with FI cleaner to the brim and let it sit until it evaporated and it made it like 100X easier to scrape it all clean. Just be very gentle with the pick. And save yourself like 2$ from honda and O'Reilly's has a perfect fit oring for 42cent(When i bought it a year ago)
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"