Thread: How do I get to the PCV valve on 88 LXi?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

How do I get to the PCV valve on 88 LXi?

I can't see it. Do I pull the air filter box to get better access? Go from underneath the car? Where is that friggin valve?

Since it is a vent valve, I am assuming it is near that oil breather box under the manifold behind the motor ( the one the tube from the oil pan goes to).
    How do I get to that PCV valve? It is 4am.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Re: How do I get to the PCV valve on 88 LXi?

I think I see it. Followed the 3/8 in. hose in the front of the intake plenum down by the manifold runners. Kind of a tough spot. But I will get it out
    Last edited by Bluntman; 12-30-2009 at 06:09 AM.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Great. It broke off. Had to pull the air intake tubing to get a look at it better. Looks like I am going to have to get underneath and try to unbolt that black oil breather box to get out the tube/ hose that is between the box and the underside of the manifold, because that is what the PCV sits in.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Now I have to remove the manifold brace to get a straight shot at the box bolts. THIS BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! All for a friggin' PCV that broke in half
    Last edited by Bluntman; 05-30-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Broke this tube on the top of the breather box. Everything is hardened or brittle with age. So I was thinking of welding some type of fitting on the top of the breather box then run a hose to the intake with the pcv inline. Same deal and much simpler in the long run. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Bluntman; 12-19-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Sweet! all part numbers are active and available. Will have them Monday.
    Everything that was rubber hardened and basically turned to brittle plastic. GO ME!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Ordered all parts to restore all the box hoses grommet, hell even tube from pan to the box ( I know, could have cut my own), But I want to just get it over with.Now it will all be soft rubber again, good for another 20+ years and should be alot easier going back together. The guy came close to Majestic since I showed him. Still about $60, but all is good anyway.

If you never replaced the PCV, watch out. All that crap is old and it will just do the snowball effect on you.

Friggin 2 min. job turns into tearin' alot of needless crap apart. OK I'm fine now

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Damn dude. You don't wait around long for an answer when you post a question do you? You basically just outlined my whole experience with the PCV system disintegrating. It's easiest to just pull all that crap off and throw it away. The 86/87 breather box has a metal neck unlike the stupid 88/89 which likes to break if you look at it cross-eyed. I pulled an 86/87 box from the junkyard and used it instead of mine. Then replaced both hoses (bottom & top) and the breather box oring (where it goes into the block) and I'll be good for a long while. Glad you got it all squared away.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Damn dude. You don't wait around long for an answer when you post a question do you? You basically just outlined my whole experience with the PCV system disintegrating. It's easiest to just pull all that crap off and throw it away. The 86/87 breather box has a metal neck unlike the stupid 88/89 which likes to break if you look at it cross-eyed. I pulled an 86/87 box from the junkyard and used it instead of mine. Then replaced both hoses (bottom & top) and the breather box oring (where it goes into the block) and I'll be good for a long while. Glad you got it all squared away.
    the one with the plastic neck, i have a spare neck,it pulls out of the grommet on top of the box, i removed all the rubber parts and welded fittings to the box, and ran all AN line , should be fixed for the next 40 years lol. if anyone needs that neck i'll see if i can find where i put it.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the one with the plastic neck, i have a spare neck,it pulls out of the grommet on top of the box, i removed all the rubber parts and welded fittings to the box, and ran all AN line , should be fixed for the next 40 years lol. if anyone needs that neck i'll see if i can find where i put it.
    Oh man. It was a nightmare. That grommet on mine, turned hard as plastic, along with everything else. Nothing pulled apart. It just snapped and crumbled.But you guys are a great help.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

So nice putting things back together with new rubber that will actually bend to push the rubber elbow from the box into the hole mount on the intake manifold. Replaced a leaking injector with one I had laying around, put new o rings on them, new o-ring on breather box, cleaned the IACV. And the hose from the oil pan to the breather box was not to bad to get on with it new and flexible. Never again will I have to be not able to pull out the PCV. Oh and replaced the bushings in the torque thrust mount ( Dogbone).
    Last edited by Bluntman; 12-27-2009 at 06:41 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lxi auto

Any actual pics of this procedure, I don't do so well with drawings.
    Tks

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by caliass View Post
    Any actual pics of this procedure, I don't do so well with drawings.
    Tks
    Welcome. And sorry I have no pics.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lxi auto

Thats a bummer about the pics thanks for the welcome though, looks like another wet night under the car outside in the rain!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by caliass View Post
    Thats a bummer about the pics thanks for the welcome though, looks like another wet night under the car outside in the rain!!
    It is raining big time here in Orange County.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lxi auto

yeah up in the valley here its finally getting soggy. As a former midwesterner and eastcoaster, I love this time of year.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I know this is a very old discussion but I hope those familiar this topic will see it and reply.

I have an '88 Accord LXi and I'm trying to locate the PCV valve so that i can replace it. I've loosened the air box at the back of the intake manifold and pushed it back to look for the PCV valve but has not seen it yet. If I correctly understand the posts in this discussion, I believe I'll need to removed the air tube that comes from the air box (that holds the air filter) up to the intake manifold. Is that right? And, can the valve be replaced by working from only above the engine or will I have to get under the car to do part of this?

I don't see how I can do anything from under the car that would be helpful in this procedure without removing the half axle and other parts such as the cross beam down there in order to get some access from under the car. So, if this can possibly be completely done from atop the engine, that seems like the easiest way to go.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Here ya go. The only reason I had to go from the bottom is because on a 24 year old car it all was hardened and brittle so I replaced it all. Most of us have our horror stories with the PCV valve.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I took mine off from the top...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

They do come out from the top. But through heat cycling the hose it slips into on the manifold had hardened, so it would not just pull out for me. It slips out now that the new rubber has flexibility.

LXi User
    Vehicle

Thanks very much for the replies. The photo was very helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if the pcv valve in my car was the original. It was all black and that made it blend in with the grommet and I did not recognize that the pcv valve was there until I saw the photo. I was thinking it was farther down, on the breather.

So, I got it out by working from the top. I disconnected the hose from the intake manifold and them pulled up on the hose, with it still attached to the pcv valve, while also wedging a utility knife blade between the valve and grommet and jiggling the top of the valve to help work it out. The valve came out without breaking. I then removed the hose from it.

The replacement pcv valve, purchased from the local Advance Auto Parts store, looked different, and I don't mean just in color, so I hesitated to use it. The base end that goes into the grommet was not quite as long and the tube on the top part was slightly larger in diameter. I went back to the store with the new and old valves to show them the differences. But, it's the only one they had in their inventory and they confirmed this one was recorded in their system as being a fit for an '88 Accord. And since the Honda dealer's price on a pcv valve is $27.16, I decided to go ahead with the one from the store. I could still get the hose on the top of the valve but could not get the clamp to slide down around the neck of the valve. So, I just left the clamp up off the valve stem.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Glad it all work out for you. If you ever have a problem everyone on here will be willing to help. Great site.

IF the pcv valve is bad and stuck closed what will happen ?
    88 Honda accord Lxi coupe

LXi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by defiance View Post
    IF the pcv valve is bad and stuck closed what will happen ?
    A reference from a Google search: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78118

Another: http://www.ehow.com/list_7541495_sig...pcv-valve.html