Thread: elijahs accord turned into my big, unexpected project AKA project springtime

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

elijahs accord turned into my big, unexpected project AKA project springtime

well, as some of you may know, i bought elijahs accord, and have dropped my own motor in there and failed to get it running. i finally learned that the way to do things is nice and slowly rather then doing multiple things at once. i tried doing a wire tuck and megasquirt all at once before the car was actually running. so after hacking up the harness, i had to run out and get another one and finally had the time to give the accord some proper attention.

here is the dashboard removed, along with a few things like the heater core, blower motor few misc bits here and there.

here is the old wiring. if i were to take a close up picture, you would notice that alot of the wires are extended, that was part of my wire tucking project. im sure the wiring was correct and something else was the cause of it not running, im just eliminating one potential cause. also by replacing the wiring, i got myself another main relay, i will be taking the old one apart to make sure there was nothing wrong with it though. also worth mentioning that honda put it way up top and the dashboard had to come out for me to even get anywhere near it

everything wiring related has been stripped out the front. the carpet and interior scheme wasnt really my cup of tea, so itll all get replaced hopefully. also the dashboard will need to be replaced as it was a severe casualty from when elijah has it broken into during storage, and when i took the dashboard out. its hard to believe that this things never had a heater core done in its 350,000km, i know this cause all the wiring clips were still attached to the dash which is why it took forever to get out. as it sits, ill be stripping the remainder of the interior, and throwing it in the garbage/basement before i move ahead

this will be the new wiring that is going in. dont even remember what it came out of other then an 88/89 model. dont remember if it came from an automatic or 5 speed, not even sure if it matters. all i know is, that wiring harness is going in one way or another.

ive got plenty of stuff left to do in the accord. ill try to keep this thread updated as much as i can. my goal is to get it up and running and out of the garage by springtime so my skyline can go in there. so far, i need to find a complete interior, hopefully the 2 tone interior. ill also be replacing the carpet as mine will be turn out completely. another thing i need to do is all the coolant lines in the engine bay need to be redone, along with putting the power steering lines that elijah cut off back in. ive been sitting on this project for nearly 4 years(?) and it would be nice to finally get a chance to drive my pride and joy.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Re: elijahs accord turned into my big, unexpected project AKA project springtime

Lookin good man! Get a better camera?
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

SEi User
    Vehicle

Re: elijahs accord turned into my big, unexpected project AKA project springtime

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Lookin good man! Get a better camera?

done with the phone. my actual camera doesnt seem to take pictures that well since i dropped it around 5 stories

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

cool lets get this car going

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Good to see that car went to someone who cares... best of luck getting it up and running.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    Good to see that car went to someone who cares... best of luck getting it up and running.

elijah cared about the car up until the decent JDM cars became legal for import, then he sold it to me for an extremely cheap price. even after i bought my skyline, i still acquired parts for the car as i came by what i needed. now that i have the time, i started working on it again. working 12 hour days takes a toll on motivation, and now that im rested during school, i can resume progress.

the main parts i will be needing once it runs is an entire interior. id go to pick n pull for the dashboard, and maybe the carpet, but everything else will be stained or damaged. id imagine that only the 88 and 89 accords had the 2 tone interiors as well? im going to try hunting for those when i have time.

SEi User
    Vehicle

new wiring harness is officially in

fuse box hooked up, just have the engine harness left, and whatever else there is that the main harness connects to.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver View Post
    elijah cared about the car up until the decent JDM cars became legal for import, then he sold it to me for an extremely cheap price. even after i bought my skyline, i still acquired parts for the car as i came by what i needed. now that i have the time, i started working on it again. working 12 hour days takes a toll on motivation, and now that im rested during school, i can resume progress.

the main parts i will be needing once it runs is an entire interior. id go to pick n pull for the dashboard, and maybe the carpet, but everything else will be stained or damaged. id imagine that only the 88 and 89 accords had the 2 tone interiors as well? im going to try hunting for those when i have time.
    Oh ya, I'm not saying Elijah didn't care... Just that it's good to see that even though he has sold it, it is still in good hands.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Oh ya, I'm not saying Elijah didn't care... Just that it's good to see that even though he has sold it, it is still in good hands.

im just glad i picked it up when i did. my cousin was actually going to pick it up from him since it was offered 'publicly', yet the deal was specifically for me. gotta love how 780tuners play on the boards, although id still prefer beyond.

bad news is progress might be getting a bit slow since i am back in school now, so the only time i might have is just friday and saturday nights. more bad news comes from the fact that i still need the entire vacuum control box, but pick n pull has 2 EFI accords from 89, but they were buried in snow when i tried to get them.

SEi User
    Vehicle

well, today i decided i wanted to get my car out of the garage this year. so far ive changed out the cabin harness, and plugged a majority of everything back in place. i cranked her over and its still a no go. i build up relatively good oil pressure, and around 40PSI of fuel pressure. it turns over nicely, but still doesnt want to start up.

im gonna be calling up my friend tomorrow as he has my noid lights for my injectors(just got it the other week), ignition spark tester, and remote crank trigger. pretty much what i need to do the diagnostics on my own.

in addition to my car not starting, im finding quite a few issues with everything within the car itself. the problems are as follows:

only drivers window will go down, no other windows respond at all
    when key is in the 'on' position, the ebrake light turns on for some reason
    the dash does not light up when i hit the dimmer switch, but the tail lights do(not sure about fronts as they arent hooked up yet)
    headlights wont turn on at all
    headlights wont retract at all, even when pressing the button for it.
    dash says highbeams are on constantly despite no light and wont go out of highbeam mode.
    ECU for some odd reason is still flashing code 6 for water temp sensor(?) like a few years ago when i tried to start it.

im sure theres more problems with the car, but its 12:30am, and i dont feel like going down once more to check it out. sometimes i wish i just drove my 86 ex-i to the ground when i did my 5 speed rather then plan for a turbo kit...

if anyone has an idea of why my car wont start, feel free to post up any suggestions as i am sick and tired of seeing this car in the garage. its pretty much sat in there for 5 years, and im tired of seeing a good car go to waste.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

did you make sure that everything on the back of the fusebox is plugged in good.

heres the deal with the power windows, for some reason one of the wires run through the engine harness.....whitch one i dont know. I just jumped the fuse hot from one fuse to the other.

All the dash issues sound like a ground problem. The starting problem seem to co-inside with the window issue to me. I know that sounds dumb but when i removed the engine harness for the holly commander my windows quit wrking as you described.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    did you make sure that everything on the back of the fusebox is plugged in good.

ya, they are all nice and clipped in good

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    heres the deal with the power windows, for some reason one of the wires run through the engine harness.....whitch one i dont know. I just jumped the fuse hot from one fuse to the other.

All the dash issues sound like a ground problem. The starting problem seem to co-inside with the window issue to me. I know that sounds dumb but when i removed the engine harness for the holly commander my windows quit wrking as you described.

did only your drivers window work while the other ones didnt?

the starting problem was there i believe last year(?) when i tried to start it up but couldnt. i got my noid lights back today so hopefully i can see whats wrong and whether or not the injectors are getting the signal.

Re: Elijah's accord turned into my big, unexpected project AKA project springtime

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver View Post
    did only your drivers window work while the other ones didn't?

the starting problem was there i believe last year(?) when i tried to start it up but couldn't. i got my noid lights back today so hopefully i can see whats wrong and whether or not the injectors are getting the signal.
    yeah, only the driver side worked.

I think a wire in the plug behind the passenger head light has something to do with it.

SEi User
    Vehicle

some good news to report. i got rid of code 6, and now code 10 shows up for IAT. better yet, i used the noid lights and my injectors fire up! i guess i got seriously when i didnt check them prior to changing out the main harness. now i gotta wait for the fuel pressure to bleed down before i change injector sets. i could loosen the bolt, but i dont feel like letting fuel splash everywhere

who would have thought all 4 injectors were the reason it never started...
    Last edited by newaccorddriver; 02-27-2010 at 10:33 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

well, its been quite some time since i last posted here. with all the work ive been doing and getting suddenly hospitalized, im almost done with the accord.

since i last posted, ive switched out the harness once again cause the headlight issue bothered me and i didnt feel like trouble shooting it. then i had to change out the harness once again cause i thought the 2 door and 4 door harness' were the same(apparently not). so far, the motor runs very roughly, but it runs(yay!), probably cause of all the vacuum lines not hooked up and the IACV not hooked up. the lights and everything work, but turning it to high beams makes my lights go down unless i use the headlight button to keep it up(might be a safety feature, its been a while). all thats left is mostly just reassembly and a few odds and ends and im good to go.

after what appears to be 4 extremely long years, the project is finally coming to an end. the next step, assuming im not keeping my skyline, or my 2010 camry, would be to turbo this accord with all the parts ive acquired over the years

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EX-i AT

Nice dude. Show some pics of the nearly done project?!

Also, i read from the top of the page.. im happy i was in mechanic school and one of the teachers did a few main relays. He was all "Its right there." and i was like ".....damn.. thanks." i never woulda found the thing.

Ive never seen what the car looks like with the dash out, btw. lol. good work..

Vehicle

good to hear you havent given up on this thing. Keep us updated

SEi User
    Vehicle

good to hear you havent given up on this thing. Keep us updated

ill never give up on the car. ive just been so overwhelmed lately that i havent gotten much time to do anything.