Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant get key out of ignition dont want my car stolen

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: cant get key out of ignition dont want my car stolen

^ unless your the guy who does maintenance for the banks lol... then they use it on everything and go through a can at one branch, seen it done.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    '89 Accord Lxi sedan auto transmission,'89 Accord Lxi coupe 5-speed, & '89 Accord LX sedan 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    This is a good reminder to shoot a good dry lube into your lock cylinders every so often.
    Yeah, I've been having this same very, very, very annoying problem with my '89 Lxi automatic for at least 6 years, but ONLY when it's cold outside, almost NEVER when it's warm outside. The auto shifter also does this when it's cold outside, but i just keep a key blank in the shift lock release all the time for convenience -- only it only unlocks the shifter and does NOT allow the ignition key to be able to come out. I tried years ago dry graphite (not too much) squirted in the ignition tumblers, etc. and it didn't help a bit. This might sound strange, but I firmly, carefully "squeeze" and "push" the key very, very slowly a certain way and am always able to finally get it out this way, only sometimes I have to do this literally dozens of times before the key finally "magically" releases from the ignition. I'm going to try what car6289 said previously and hopefully never have to deal with this crap problem every again!

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by car6289 View Post
    The ignition key interlock became such a pain in the ass on short trips when the temp was around 40°F, I had to disable it. Lest I forget the shift interlock included in my 89 LX. Must press brake pedal before shifting from park. Another feature that functions intermittently in colder weather. The ignition key from my old 87 LX resides permanently in the release slot provided beside the shift lever to override the solenoid there. Automatics have their moments.
    Present temperature here is 42°F, perfect for interlock malfunctioning.
    the brake light switch sends voltage to another solonoid in the shifter assembly, this won't let you take the car out of park unless you are stepping on the brake, if your brake light fuse is blown,or this solonoid malfunctions, you can't get the car out of park, I can't remember on three g auto's, but most honda's have a slot in the shifter where you insert the key, this lets you get the shifter out of park in an emergency, you insert the key,shift to neutral, then remove the key and start the car, you can shift from neutral into the other gears without the interlock.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX , 2009 Honda Ridgeline & 2005 Honda Civic (1987 Accord LX - RIP)

My fuzzy memory doesn't remember having the slot beside the shifter in my old 87 LX. It never had any interlock problems. I can't be certain it had an interlock system for either the shift lever or the ignition key assembly. Stepping on the brake before shifter movement is an automatic function of me, like breathing. I've been manual transmission deprived since 1992.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by car6289 View Post
    Stepping on the brake before shifter movement is an automatic function of me, like breathing. I've been manual transmission deprived since 1992.
    It's kind of like pushing in the clutch to start a manual (for some people on here, I recently found out) or pushing it in to come to a complete stop or something.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

JDM accords have a key slot in 88-89 but not 86-87

Automatic gearboxes, failing in more than one way since 1985.....

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    JDM accords have a key slot in 88-89 but not 86-87

Automatic gearboxes, failing in more than one way since 1985.....
    yea the auto in the 98 civic has the slot, had to use it more then once. this one the shift knob comes loose and the button and spring shoots out.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by fuelinjected89AccLxi View Post
    Yeah, I've been having this same very, very, very annoying problem with my '89 Lxi automatic for at least 6 years, but ONLY when it's cold outside, almost NEVER when it's warm outside. The auto shifter also does this when it's cold outside, but i just keep a key blank in the shift lock release all the time for convenience -- only it only unlocks the shifter and does NOT allow the ignition key to be able to come out. I tried years ago dry graphite (not too much) squirted in the ignition tumblers, etc. and it didn't help a bit. This might sound strange, but I firmly, carefully "squeeze" and "push" the key very, very slowly a certain way and am always able to finally get it out this way, only sometimes I have to do this literally dozens of times before the key finally "magically" releases from the ignition. I'm going to try what car6289 said previously and hopefully never have to deal with this crap problem every again!
    I have had this exact same stupid problem in my 89 LXi A/T every morning since the weather started getting colder out! Is there any way to fix this problem without realigning the interlock system to not work correctly as was posted earlier in this thread? I'm assuming the system had to work properly when the cars were new, so there should be a way to fix it so that it operates normally right?
    Last edited by 89HatchbackLxi; 01-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Throw a towel over the steering wheel and column when you exit the car. Anyone looking will just think you're weird and not that you're covering your key stuck in the lock.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord Lxi sedan auto transmission,'89 Accord Lxi coupe 5-speed, & '89 Accord LX sedan 5-speed

I also recently discovered that there's a solenoid in the automatic shifter assembly (under the plastic garnish cover) that if I'm not mistaken has a bit of grease in there so when it gets colder the grease becomes more viscous and causes "sticking" in the small delicate parts/spring that otherwise won't stick when its warmer outside. I read somewhere about a fairly easy fix to this, but I just have too many other things going on right now for it to be a high enough priority for me. One day I will fix it though...although that "one day" may still be 10 years from now!