Thread: car not starting sometimes

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

Exclamation car not starting sometimes

need some help on this one guys

my 87 lxi is acting up
    it doesnt want to start sometimes after it has been turned off for a while but at other times it starts up just fine.

its like it has a dead battery but its got a new one as of the summer and a new alternator as well so i dont know what else to check.

has this happened to any one else?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord Lx-i

Re: car not starting sometimes

Same thing has been happening with my 87. Turns out the previous owner put some junk injecters in her and its flooding when I try to restart it. I would say check your injectors , I just put a kill switch on the fuel pump so to start its prime the pump kick her over wait for the rpms to drop and turn the pump back on, works for now till I get some money up for new injectors. Sorry for the long post.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Same thing has been happening with my 87. Turns out the previous owner put some junk injecters in her and its flooding when I try to restart it. I would say check your injectors , I just put a kill switch on the fuel pump so to start its prime the pump kick her over wait for the rpms to drop and turn the pump back on, works for now till I get some money up for new injectors. Sorry for the long post.
    In your case it sounds like the ECT sensor. If the engine coolant temperature sensor is sending an incorrect reading to the ECU it does not know what fuel ratio to send, thus flooding and smelling gas. The ECT sensor does not always send a code on these. Did a few cars with this problem. Easy fix.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by 60408CC View Post
    need some help on this one guys

my 87 lxi is acting up
    it doesnt want to start sometimes after it has been turned off for a while but at other times it starts up just fine.

its like it has a dead battery but its got a new one as of the summer and a new alternator as well so i dont know what else to check.

has this happened to any one else?
    If you mean the engine still turns over but does not start, it sounds like it could be the infamous main relay problem. I am not sure if you mean it turns over, or is just dead.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord Lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntman View Post
    In your case it sounds like the ECT sensor. If the engine coolant temperature sensor is sending an incorrect reading to the ECU it does not know what fuel ratio to send, thus flooding and smelling gas. The ECT sensor does not always send a code on these. Did a few cars with this problem. Easy fix.
    Thanks a lot ill check that out this weekend cause I know the ecu isn't showing any codes, I'm new to fuel injected cars and hondas but I have been reading everything on this site and I have to say I just bought the car as a beater till I could find another rx7 but its growing on me a lot so I'm just gonna play with my accord for now.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Thanks a lot ill check that out this weekend cause I know the ecu isn't showing any codes, I'm new to fuel injected cars and hondas but I have been reading everything on this site and I have to say I just bought the car as a beater till I could find another rx7 but its growing on me a lot so I'm just gonna play with my accord for now.
    Also make sure the sensor plugs are not crossed ( I have seen this also, they accept the same plug ). The green plug is outer, to the radiator fan switch, the white plug is inner, to the ECT sensor ( closest plug to the head ). If they got switched backwards that will do it because they are calibrated for different temperature readings.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord Lx-i

Smile Re: car not starting sometimes

Also make sure the sensor plugs are not crossed ( I have seen this also, they accept the same plug ). The green plug is outer, to the radiator fan switch, the white plug is inner, to the ECT sensor ( closest plug to the head ). If they got switched backwards that will do it because they are calibrated for different temperature readings.
    I might have to check that cause I replaced the head gasket when I first got the car and I'm sure I removed those plugs when I took the head off so ill check that too. Thanks a lot this is by far the most helpful fourm I've been on.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord Lx-i

So I checked the plugs this morning and they are how they should be white inner and green outter so ill check the sensor tomorrow since my woman took the car for the day. Anyway thanks and sorry to OP for kinda jacking the thread alittle bit there.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

So I checked the plugs this morning and they are how they should be white inner and green outter so ill check the sensor tomorrow since my woman took the car for the day. Anyway thanks and sorry to OP for kinda jacking the thread alittle bit there.
    Just get a new Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, and see what happens. They are not expensive. And check your coolant level. If coolant is not up high enough in the t- stat housing the sensor tip will get thrown off because coolant is not touching it. Cap off, heater control open all the way ( so heater core is getting filled also ), start engine with cap off while cold, let warm up til thermostat opens ( Coolant will start to move in radiator ), add coolant as necessary and add coolant to coolant reservoir tank to upper level also. Then shut down with cap still off, let engine cool down a bit, check level and add coolant if necessary. Then put cap on.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord Lx-i

Just get a new Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, and see what happens. They are not expensive. And check your coolant level. If coolant is not up high enough in the t- stat housing the sensor tip will get thrown off because coolant is not touching it. Cap off, heater control open all the way ( so heater core is getting filled also ), start engine with cap off while cold, let warm up til thermostat opens ( Coolant will start to move in radiator ), add coolant as necessary and add coolant to coolant reservoir tank to upper level also. Then shut down with cap still off, let engine cool down a bit, check level and add coolant if necessary. Then put cap on.
    I just flushed everything after I did the head just to make sure it was all good, so ill check the ECT sensor and see where that leaves me at but for now the kill switch works just to get me back and forth from work

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i

well it doesnt trun over it just clickes like it has a dead battery ..

ill try to turn the key a few times in a row and then it will start ..

any idea why that would be...
    Last edited by 60408CC; 01-09-2010 at 04:11 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi 5sp, 293k

My 86 did this for a while and then gave up. I had to get a new ignition switch. Actually not new I found one at pullapart.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si

First check if your starter is getting +12 V to the solenoid. If it's not then try this.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwat View Post
    My 86 did this for a while and then gave up. I had to get a new ignition switch. Actually not new I found one at pullapart.
    Mike

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 60408CC View Post
    well it doesnt trun over it just clickes like it has a dead battery ..

ill try to turn the key a few times in a row and then it will start ..

any idea why that would be...

mine is doing the same thing..i think it might be the ignition switch cuz i wiggle it and it starts up or i just let the car sit for about ten minutes and it starts
    DOUBLE S ARMY