Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: D Series Swap...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i

Re: D Series Swap...

I had the D17A2 in my last car. >.> Truly I wouldn't mind putting in this one. It was a great engine. and ran 17 stock. :P

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

^ and that's in a n em2 with a shitty geared transmission. the d17 is kind of a bastard what with it's 1.7l and coilpacks... it's a good little motor because it's still really simple to work on it's just all that egr bullshit that i hate and the vertical throttle body shit that started with dpfi and continued into the d17's.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    ^ and that's in a n em2 with a shitty geared transmission. the d17 is kind of a bastard what with it's 1.7l and coilpacks... it's a good little motor because it's still really simple to work on it's just all that egr bullshit that i hate and the vertical throttle body shit that started with dpfi and continued into the d17's.
    Yea I hated that damn vertical throttle body, Bloody thing sucked ass. :O

I was going to do a D16y8 intake manifold conversion, But I decided to just get this car instead and actually have more fun. :P

And I know the gearing was off. But I still loved how I could get her to 125 on the highway. >.> right now I can't get my accord to 80...
    Last edited by Nio; 01-12-2010 at 09:29 AM.

LX User

CAH Just acts like he knows what hes talking about LMAO. Bet no one remembers me.

Vehicle

i got an accord to 117mph stock, it did well too, didn't really sound to float anything and wasn't all the way maxed on the rpm... it just didn't have anymore gusto. lol... my crx that had a d15 i got up to 120 on more than one occasion.
    dead white and blue

LX User

I got my accord up to 120 one time, or two.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

You guys just admitted few things that are problems with that D engine, first of gearing and D17 having that TB. Why o why go tru so much hustle just to gain same amount of power. yes its cheap scrap engine you get for free just take it, but is it worth it? NO.. if you going to swap anything, the best option is a B16a from DA integra or B20b/z and do LS/Vtec head swap. same amount of work with bigger gain. after all, those B20b engines is everywhere.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

because the d17 is, as i called it, a bastard. the d16y8 and d16z6 are both short geared transmissions with 130hp and about 110ft lbs of torque, neither have verticle throttle bodies, nor restrictive exhausts.

a member on d-series named bone or transzex has dyno'd a poor mans d15b7 built to have 130 WHP with just a cam and some timing advance, so imagine what one could do with a vtec motor or a 1.6 non-v over the 1.5... i have this build in my car right now, b7 block, sohc zc head with the zc cam which is slightly more agressive than the a6 cam used in bone's build. so we can debate this all day, of course a b-motor is going to be a better swap in the long run, that was also stated. and your counter argument is about a motor that wasn't even the one mentioned.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

ad the D16y7 to the basterd list, it also has the same vertical intake many and an exhaust many thats mostly a log manifold to a catilatic converter, good for a whoping stock rated HP of 98 LOL

Vehicle

sure.. we can argue here all day and night.. its getting pointless because we covered so to say all bases in this thread...
    Well, I dont hate D-series engine, just look at it as a average engine Honda build for economy use in short based civics. to move ppl around. its not a tuner engine. I think most members will agree on this one..
    I'm trying to say that any engine with proper build will perform, even A series will..

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tomisimo View Post
    sure.. We can argue here all day and night.. Its getting pointless because we covered so to say all bases in this thread...
    Well, i dont hate d-series engine, just look at it as a average engine honda build for economy use in short based civics. To move ppl around. Its not a tuner engine. I think most members will agree on this one..
    I'm trying to say that any engine with proper build will perform, even a series will..
    +1

Vehicle

right but a proper build from an a will cost you ten times the amount for what you could put down with a d.

case closed.

and yes the y5 had the verticle throttle body, my favorite motor is honestly the z1, the d15z1 had roller rockers and vtec-e, 12v normal driving 16v WO. plus it used beefy rods like the 1.6, similar in the bottom end to a d15b vtec from japan and europe but with a head all it's own... pretty neat little design.

as for the debate it's quite pointless, we've had it on a number of occasions, it all comes down to the OP not doing anything.
    dead white and blue

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdreamerx View Post
    CAH Just acts like he knows what hes talking about LMAO. Bet no one remembers me.
    holy shit man i haven't seen you signed on here in ages

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

right but a proper build from an a will cost you ten times the amount for what you could put down with a d.

case closed.
    i seriously doubt that, parts cost about the same. Plus stock d series rods are weaker than weak, A series rods are much beefier.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

stat1k case is open again lol

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    i seriously doubt that, parts cost about the same. Plus stock d series rods are weaker than weak, A series rods are much beefier.
    Not to beat a dead horse, But i think stat1k is slightly right. For hp/$ ratio, the D series will net quite a bit more. Not 10 times, but yea, more. A mild turbo build on stockish parts, the A motor trumps the D by a mile, but for a good 250HP N/A build, a D will be cheaper. The head flows way better stock, not to mention the extra exhaust valve, and the availability of aftermarket will make it a ton cheaper. Custom parts aren't cheap I'm afraid.

With that being said, I feel like the A-motor is a rock solid, closed deck, monster of a motor. While not exactly the most stable, balanced honda motor ever made, these blocks were built to hold power/boost and be reliable doing it too.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Im not a d series hater by any means, but how many people have you seen making 250hp NA on a d series, without nitrous? Sure, they might exist, but at what cost? The only real way to make power with either engine is to boost it, and yes, the head does flow better, but stock for stock, your better off boosting a stock A series than a stock D series, the bottom end is much stronger to start with. Yes, youd probably make more power easier on a built D series than a built A series, but why not stick with the engine you already have instead of swapping and the associated expenses and conversion headaches... Most of you guys arent really looking to go all out, just have fun with your cars. Thats where boost comes in. For what it would cost you in parts and modifications, you could probably be boosted, instead of having a car that was roughly as fast (or slow) as it was stock.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

Im not a d series hater by any means, but how many people have you seen making 250hp NA on a d series, without nitrous? Sure, they might exist, but at what cost? The only real way to make power with either engine is to boost it, and yes, the head does flow better, but stock for stock, your better off boosting a stock A series than a stock D series, the bottom end is much stronger to start with. Yes, youd probably make more power easier on a built D series than a built A series, but why not stick with the engine you already have instead of swapping and the associated expenses and conversion headaches... Most of you guys arent really looking to go all out, just have fun with your cars. Thats where boost comes in. For what it would cost you in parts and modifications, you could probably be boosted, instead of having a car that was roughly as fast (or slow) as it was stock.

I sud stick this thread in General Engine swaps, for future references if somebody ask that same Q again.
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 01-12-2010 at 03:15 PM.

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

remember the D series is an open deck engine vs the closed deck on the A20, I've seen too many blown up D series to want one of them. I have the tiny one in the 98 civic and I can tell the difference ,sounds like a dam lawnmower. not a technical point, but the old A series engines also have soul, I can't find a dam thing interesting on the civics that come with the D series, It really is a soulless car, it feels like something that if it breaks ought to be thrown away. Another point, on the old A series, someone put those engines together by hand, the D series are put together by a robot and a human barely touches them. That means something to me, old cars are built like cars, new cars and parts are built like toasters.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

not even going to bother posting.

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    not even going to bother posting.
    you are too young to appreciate the fact that old cars were put together by humans who cared about what they are doing, hand assembly of something adds to a car in a non tangible way, cars lost something when everything started being done by robots. try as i might i can't find anything exiting or interesting about this civic, they are no longer a car but a four wheeled appliance.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-12-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

^^^ um... maybe your Civic needs a tune up. I've heard some nice sounding D-series that don't sound like lawnmowers. I've also heard A-series that sound like poopie. I think that Civics have a lot of well thought out design put into them, they're practical, peppy, economical and fun. I do think that Honda is starting to slip away from that, but I think the 5g and 6g Civics have quite a bit of love from the designers to make them great cars. That's soul.

Somehow I don't think that there is a huge change in the assembly line from 1989 to 1998.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    remember the D series is an open deck engine vs the closed deck on the A20, I've seen too many blown up D series to want one of them. I have the tiny one in the 98 civic and I can tell the difference ,sounds like a dam lawnmower. not a technical point, but the old A series engines also have soul, I can't find a dam thing interesting on the civics that come with the D series, It really is a soulless car, it feels like something that if it breaks ought to be thrown away. Another point, on the old A series, someone put those engines together by hand, the D series are put together by a robot and a human barely touches them. That means something to me, old cars are built like cars, new cars and parts are built like toasters.
    lost you got a point about them blowing up my friend blew his motor and hes on the second on already bet it wont last with the turbo set up he has.

Vehicle

i'm not speaking on a turbo build. but again i can get a set of rods for a d at 300 bucks. a set of pistons at near 100 for a good low comp built, arp bolts and simple rebuild shit i'm out the door for near 600 max... i can buy right now a cast log manifold for 80 dollars, a good working t3 for 300 (garret)... couple that with a bit of tuning materials and i'm looking at 1100 for a near 300hp build on a d? my buddy actually just did a similar build to a rex only running 11psi on a small t3, 276whp on a d16z6. all he had was rods and arp bolts with dished pistons... custom built exhaust and turbo mani. then he sold it on ebay

i'm not going to argue that the a-motor is a better bet for a turbo application, but the custom built parts for it are what discourages people, if you have 400 just in a manifold that's near half of what i'm talking about for an entire 300hp setup on a d-motor.

i will also agree with you on the fact that people aren't going to go out and swap a d-motor into an accord, whether the op said he wants to or not, it won't happen, i know, we've all been here, i'm gonna do this or that, never happens.

how many people on this site have dyno'd an accord above 130whp vs how many people have done that with a d-motor? that's my one and only point.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    you are too young to appreciate the fact that old cars were put together by humans who cared about what they are doing, hand assembly of something adds to a car in a non tangible way, cars lost something when everything started being done by robots. try as i might i can't find anything exiting or interesting about this civic, they are no longer a car but a four wheeled appliance.
    well i do miss seeing an engine (metal) not that cheap shit you see now a days with like some weird sheet metal or somthing. it sucks that robots are now making engines now but i bet that the engines made by hand last alot longer then build by robots.