Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: D Series Swap...

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Re: D Series Swap...

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    you are too young to appreciate the fact that old cars were put together by humans who cared about what they are doing, hand assembly of something adds to a car in a non tangible way, cars lost something when everything started being done by robots. try as i might i can't find anything exiting or interesting about this civic, they are no longer a car but a four wheeled appliance.
    erm.. m gf has practicly the same engine in her car and it sounds fine... yes its nt as loud but its also got a smaller exhaust and a smaller engine then an accord... and sadly id rather a robot makeing my parts as they dont make as many mistakes.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by labeledsk8r View Post
    erm.. m gf has practicly the same engine in her car and it sounds fine... yes its nt as loud but its also got a smaller exhaust and a smaller engine then an accord... and sadly id rather a robot makeing my parts as they dont make as many mistakes.
    the Japanese were extremely picky when they built engines, it's not just a paycheck to them, but their entire culture, doing a bad job would mean dishonor for the worker, that's a terrible thing in their culture

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the Japanese were extremely picky when they built engines, it's not just a paycheck to them, but their entire culture, doing a bad job would mean dishonor for the worker, that's a terrible thing in their culture
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most of the US Accords build in the USA after 1982?

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most of the US Accords build in the USA after 1982?
    yep... you do come across a couple that wernt but MOST were and ALL coupes were

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 ACCORD LX

lol I was thinking this

Vehicle
    1989 ACCORD LX

i think when the 3g came out they opened a huge american factory in the south

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

I <3 this thread...

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

iknorite.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

dude!!!!!!!! you got a facepalm

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

I just find it unbelievable that some people are so hard headed...

At the same time its nice to see that some people still have common sense...

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    Im not a d series hater by any means, but how many people have you seen making 250hp NA on a d series, without nitrous? Sure, they might exist, but at what cost? The only real way to make power with either engine is to boost it, and yes, the head does flow better, but stock for stock, your better off boosting a stock A series than a stock D series, the bottom end is much stronger to start with. Yes, youd probably make more power easier on a built D series than a built A series, but why not stick with the engine you already have instead of swapping and the associated expenses and conversion headaches... Most of you guys arent really looking to go all out, just have fun with your cars. Thats where boost comes in. For what it would cost you in parts and modifications, you could probably be boosted, instead of having a car that was roughly as fast (or slow) as it was stock.
    Not many make that much power N/A, I think my point was that its way easier and cheaper to make decent power out of an N/A D. For that matter, with the exception of Rich, there are 0 A guys making decent power N/A. Not arguing with you about the turbo aspect at all though, I think i even said that a mild turbo A-series would be way cheaper than D, and powerful, because our stock internals are WAY better.

Oh and no one is arguing that swapping an A for a D is like swapping an apple for an apple. Unless the other apple is just that much more appealing to you, whats the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    not even going to bother posting.
    You did though...
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    its better to be retarded than advanced

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986/Honda/Accord lx-i Hatchback

ahaha im so glad i posted this thread...
    now im strongly conssidering rebuilidng my a20 im almost positive im not gunna swap the D in my car now and im still thinking about the Ls motor i have but with the shape its in it might start getting pretty sppendy but either way now the choice i make is gunna be spendy bcuz rebuilding the a20 couldnt be much cheeper than doing the swap

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Insane43 View Post
    ahaha im so glad i posted this thread...
    now im strongly conssidering rebuilidng my a20 im almost positive im not gunna swap the D in my car now and im still thinking about the Ls motor i have but with the shape its in it might start getting pretty sppendy but either way now the choice i make is gunna be spendy bcuz rebuilding the a20 couldnt be much cheeper than doing the swap
    Rebuilding the A will be cheaper no matter what.

D-series. Custom mounts, axles, linkage, wiring, etc etc etc. Very expensive, no gains (to be spoken of)

B-Series. Innovative Mounts (350), New axles, made from existing parts (200), Custom wiring, linkage, etc etc etc. Still expensive, not MUCH gain per dollar.

Rebuilding the A. Spend 600 on headwork, 600 on bottom end parts, If your mechanically inclined enough to rebuild it yourself and you will have a badass A.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Im not a d series hater by any means, but how many people have you seen making 250hp NA on a d series, without nitrous? Sure, they might exist, but at what cost? The only real way to make power with either engine is to boost it, and yes, the head does flow better, but stock for stock, your better off boosting a stock A series than a stock D series, the bottom end is much stronger to start with. Yes, youd probably make more power easier on a built D series than a built A series, but why not stick with the engine you already have instead of swapping and the associated expenses and conversion headaches... Most of you guys arent really looking to go all out, just have fun with your cars. Thats where boost comes in. For what it would cost you in parts and modifications, you could probably be boosted, instead of having a car that was roughly as fast (or slow) as it was stock.
    THANK YOU.....i couldnt have put it in any better meaning.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    i'm not speaking on a turbo build. but again i can get a set of rods for a d at 300 bucks. a set of pistons at near 100 for a good low comp built, arp bolts and simple rebuild shit i'm out the door for near 600 max... i can buy right now a cast log manifold for 80 dollars, a good working t3 for 300 (garret)... couple that with a bit of tuning materials and i'm looking at 1100 for a near 300hp build on a d? my buddy actually just did a similar build to a rex only running 11psi on a small t3, 276whp on a d16z6. all he had was rods and arp bolts with dished pistons... custom built exhaust and turbo mani. then he sold it on ebay

i'm not going to argue that the a-motor is a better bet for a turbo application, but the custom built parts for it are what discourages people, if you have 400 just in a manifold that's near half of what i'm talking about for an entire 300hp setup on a d-motor.

i will also agree with you on the fact that people aren't going to go out and swap a d-motor into an accord, whether the op said he wants to or not, it won't happen, i know, we've all been here, i'm gonna do this or that, never happens.

how many people on this site have dyno'd an accord above 130whp vs how many people have done that with a d-motor? that's my one and only point.

My buddy just blew his 300hp z6....rod bearing just couldnt hang with 30psi LOL. but it DID last awhile...

It was the vatura Build.....

O i dynod over 130 LOL. boosted. if i had a better flowing exhuast or bigger i would of pushed 200hp easy with that tinny ass T25.

Ill have to agree. IF you have a civic Stick with a D and do a vatura build and make 300 easy but if you have a 3g no use...you wont gain shit. YES you well after you fork out the money for the swap and custom mounts exc.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Rendon, you only dyno'd 130hp? Damn dude, even Roach put down that on his N/A build!

Oh yeah while we're on the topic of N/A A-series builds. Remember that Openloops car put down over 160hp on the dyno (roughly 190BHP) with a pretty damn cheap build (what did he do, cam, weld the chambers, and bolt shit on). Roach put down 131hp which is roughly 160BHP, with a stock ECU and some 1mm oversize exhaust valves. I mean you're well over B16 territory with minor work and quality modifications. Far cheaper than any engine swap.

Vehicle

NO i said OVER 130...i did 175tq and 167hp...you where there LOL....come on john....WITH BOOST thou...N/a i never dynod so i cant tell you. but i was around the same as roach...i was right there with the b16s....so i know i was close to that range in power......

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Rendon, you only dyno'd 130hp? Damn dude, even Roach put down that on his N/A build!

Oh yeah while we're on the topic of N/A A-series builds. Remember that Openloops car put down over 160hp on the dyno (roughly 190BHP) with a pretty damn cheap build (what did he do, cam, weld the chambers, and bolt shit on). Roach put down 131hp which is roughly 160BHP, with a stock ECU and some 1mm oversize exhaust valves. I mean you're well over B16 territory with minor work and quality modifications. Far cheaper than any engine swap.
    right but my point was both of these mods you list here are a bigger deal than camming a motor and installing a different cam gear. i forgot to mention with bone's build over on d-series he made 130hp, ran a 13.98, and got 50mpg with his tune.

not everyone here is going to pay to machine a head for oversized valves, nor is everyone going to weld their combustion chambers... wasn't the openloop car obd1 also? that's another big step i know because i gathered parts with angus to make his first setup with the adapter plate. so you can argue but i'm not going to agree, we should all know that about me right?

as for the vitara build making 300 on 30psi? what was wrong with the motor or his equipment? my buddy dyno'd 276whp in his rex with a really nice curve and he was only on 11psi.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

13.98 on 130hp? Not that I don't believe you, but what? Was the car super mega gutted and on slicks??

Vehicle

^ yep. bone is also the transmission guru for all of d-series, he builds them for bisi's car... that should give you an idea...

edit: realized i typed it wrong, 14.98 is what i meant to type... i thought it was weird for you to question me but then i reread what i wrote... 14.98 was his fastest time, he consistantly runs 15 flat with the setup.
    Last edited by stat1K; 01-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

i dont think the engines were.

people are going to search the thread title and still not see how to do the D swap

Vehicle

well, that's because it's never gonna happen roodoo, like most of the threads in this section. i'm sure i probably have one somewhere too.

it really wouldn't be that hard to do, nothing more than a b-swap obviously... wiring would be the same for the most part, axles would be close but with no intermediate shaft unless you had a zc motor and trans setup, plus it would be cheap if you could build mounts yourself as a motor and trans can be had most places for around 300-400 in good shape or 100 in blown head gasket or smoking shape.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I know my hatchback was built in Japan, As far as I know all of the a series were built in japan, talking about the engines.

Vehicle

So, a soulful engine in a soulless car...