Thread: Tools required to change cv boot

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

Tools required to change cv boot

Hi guys,
    my passenger cv boot is torn right round completely, so i'm just wondering what tools are required to be able to change the cv boot on my accord.

Re: Tools required to change cv boot

just the boot or the axle. You have to remove the axle anyways but the rebiuld kit is 1/4 the cost of the axle. as long as the bearings still have grease you can rebiuld. the boot clamps are really hard to do right.

Basically a 17mm deep socket for the lower ball jiont
    pliers to remove the cotter pin
    drift punch to remove the divet from the hub nut
    14mm socket
    17mm wrench
    ball jiont press or whatever you use to remove bionts (picklefork)
    prybar to pull axle from differential. Sometimes they dont just pull out
    I cant remember how the cv system stayed together but you want a really good set of vise grip pliers when pulling the bands tight

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

thanks for the reply, i'm just planning on doing the boot at the moment. Pretty sure the bearings still have grease on them.

Will get a quote on those tools this week.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

not that many actually
    either a 17 or 19mm for the bottom ball joint and a ball joint seperator or large hammer if you know that trick.
    a 30 or 32 mm and a big breaker bar for the hub nut.
    and if you know what you are doing a pair of side cutters and a screw driver for doing up the cv boot clips or you could go buy the right tool from super cheap or repco.
    undo the hub nut and remove it, will be tight as all hell so might need a bit of pipe on the end of the breaker bar.
    jack it up and remove the wheel.
    undo the bottom ball joint and wind the nut off until the top of the joints spindle only has a few thread left.
    grab your big hammer and where the ball joint goes through the lower arm.
    if you get it right, the ball joint will pop and you just remove the nut and push the arm out of the way.
    pull the bottom of the up right towards you and with some luck you should be able to push the cv through.
    then you need to pull the shaft out of the g/box or intermediate joint.
    clamp the shaft in a vice facing down, keeping the cv inline with the shaft, pull down and hit the outter section of the joint with a large hammer and it should pop off.
    clean all the old crappy grease out of it and regrease with the grease that should have come with the new boot.
    slide the boot over the shaft first.
    the grab the cv, put the nut back on it so that the en d of the thread is flush with the outside of the nut.
    offer it up nice and true to the shaft and with a big dead blow hammer, hit the end of the cv square and it should pop on.
    make sur that the c clip on the shaft clicks in to the groove in the cv joint.
    put the boot where it should be and put the clips on.
    then just reverse the removing of the shaft bit to put it back in the car.

if you can get the shaft off the car, but cant get the joint of the shaft , most garage workshops could do the boot for you if 10 minutes or so.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

thanks for the instructions Hauntd, better than what I could find on doing it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

Just thinking I should replace the CV Joint as well since it's been making a clicking sound for a while now.

Also is it safe to drive the car when the CV Joint has been clicking for a while, or should I park it up and not drive the car until it is replaced?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

would be better to do it all at once, saves having to pull it all apart again

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Realize that replacing the boots makes a filthy mess of everything and the likelihood of getting the bands on right and not getting some kind of seepage is low. I'd replace the entire axle myself. Napa sold me some really awful, beat up rebuilt axles. They click right out of the box, so I don't know what to say about that.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

^ you can request a new one from napa/autozone/bap/checker/shucks/kragen/ etc...

you can also buy a new empi online for around 60-80
    dead white and blue

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yep i got brand new ones on the cb from napa they work great

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    ^ you can request a new one from napa/autozone/bap/checker/shucks/kragen/ etc...

you can also buy a new empi online for around 60-80
    Funny thing about that. Every store warranties their parts forever, but no one wants to come over and do the labor. I bought them off the website, lost the receipt, too much effort to look for it, blah, blah, blah. I'll deal with it later. Meh.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

for some reason I can't get the ball joint to pop, been trying for about an hour now and no luck. Any advice?

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Funny thing about that. Every store warranties their parts forever, but no one wants to come over and do the labor. I bought them off the website, lost the receipt, too much effort to look for it, blah, blah, blah. I'll deal with it later. Meh.
    I don't do this kind of work myself, so I'm on the hook for labor. Honda remanufactured axles, $129 from Majestic. I looked at a promo piece at the dealers once about how they're remade; the 3 kinds of grease, etc etc. Maybe not the cheapest, but I've never had a problem, and they last a long time.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by trickytiger View Post
    for some reason I can't get the ball joint to pop, been trying for about an hour now and no luck. Any advice?
    I always pop my lower balljoints with the car on the ground. That way I'm not fighting the spring in the radius rod and stabilizer bar as much with the suspension in the loaded position.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by trickytiger View Post
    Go to Autozone and rent their front end kit. There will be a half dozen different kinds of tools for separating it. If all else fails, buy a pickle fork and beat it apart. You'll have to replace the ball joint boot and grease when you're done, but you'll have the joint apart.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

have given up on doing it myself... Will be taking it to the garage start of next week

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

what method did you try? sometimes they can be stuck in there so damn tight, usually jacking the ball joint up a little bit with the nut loose, and pounding the side of the control arm works. might take ages, make sure you hit it hard

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Go to Autozone and rent their front end kit. There will be a half dozen different kinds of tools for separating it. If all else fails, buy a pickle fork and beat it apart. You'll have to replace the ball joint boot and grease when you're done, but you'll have the joint apart.
    no autozone in new zealand unfortunately.
    you can fix anything with 2 screw drivers, a pair of vice grips and a hammer

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

jack up the car......set it on a jack stand the get a piece of two by four and left up the damn rotor/hub all at once....get it enought up that the car starts going up.....Place your fork inbetween the lower control arm and ball joint....Release the jack it should just pop right off...IF NOT hit it with your feet....well DOWN like hitting someones face when your drunk LOL OPPS but works all the time....never failed me. Thats my trick. using force from weight.. almost like prying the fucker. youll know when it pops. BUT dont loosen the nut all the way out. just enought.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

ive never failed to remove it by undoing the lower balljoint nut right off, lift up on the hub while you beat the lower control arm where the balljoint goes through and it slides out

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Exls

Ok took the car round to a mates and managed to get it off.

We replaced just the CV boot for now in just under 3 hours.

Didn't have the funds for the CV Joint right now so we will do that another day, turned out it wasn't as bad as I thought...

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    jack up the car......set it on a jack stand the get a piece of two by four and left up the damn rotor/hub all at once....get it enought up that the car starts going up.....Place your fork inbetween the lower control arm and ball joint....Release the jack it should just pop right off...IF NOT hit it with your feet....well DOWN like hitting someones face when your drunk LOL OPPS but works all the time....never failed me. Thats my trick. using force from weight.. almost like prying the fucker. youll know when it pops. BUT dont loosen the nut all the way out. just enought.
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    ive never failed to remove it by undoing the lower balljoint nut right off, lift up on the hub while you beat the lower control arm where the balljoint goes through and it slides out
    Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    what method did you try? sometimes they can be stuck in there so damn tight, usually jacking the ball joint up a little bit with the nut loose, and pounding the side of the control arm works. might take ages, make sure you hit it hard
    If you leave the car on the ground, undo the pinch clamp on the balljoint, and gently lever with the pickle fork, the ball joint slides right out. No need for any of the above jackassery. Geometry is your advantage.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"