Thread: automatic 83 accord special edition engine swap

DX User

automatic 83 accord special edition engine swap

Im putting a d15 and automatic tranny from an 89 crx in my 83 accord. What do I need to do to make this work? Do I just weld new motor mount brackets? What do I do with fuel pumps and wiring harness? Will everything work? Can I keep all the old fuel lines all the way to the firewall? What about brakes and master cylinder? What about my spindle and will my tranny and axles with fit with it? What will it take to get the 89 crx tranny to work with it? If not what tranny will fit my d15 engine and accord? And what spindle will work or do I just need to switch hubs? The crx is a DX HF and SI axle. Will I have to change the fuse boxes and if so are they attached to the wiring harness?

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: automatic 83 accord special edition engine swap

The D-series mounts completely different than the EK/EL. You will need to fab mounts from scratch.

The D-series block is not compatible with any Accord transmission. The D-series axle splines will not fit your hubs. Axle lengths are unknown.

The D-series engine has a front exit exhaust. There is no clearance between the block and Accord front crossmember to allow this. All 82-83 Accords, (2.0gen, mark 1, whatever you want to call them) had rear exit exhaust.

You will need to add a third pressure fuel line and EFI fuel pump in order to supply fuel to the engine. You will also need to integrate the D-series engine harness and computer into the car to satisfy all of the power and sensor requirements of the computer.

Clear?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User

Alright. Do you know of anything else that will need to be done? Thx this will help alot I thought it was going to be easy but this will help me learn more.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I know of a lot. Like how to get integra or prelude axles to fit your hubs. It's all posted up here or in the FAQ.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"