Thread: Customer shift linkage

LX User
    Vehicle
    2008 Honda Fit, 1993 Ford Mustang, 1989 Accord LX

Customer shift linkage

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. I know certain engine swaps on ANY vehicle will require you to make a custom shift linkage. Like for example, a B16A into a 3g Accord requires you to make a custom shift linkage because the B16A linkage and Accord linkages are both not going to work.

Now my question is what is involved in make a shift linkage? I know that is a noob question but I'm not sure. If neither one will work on it's own, do you take half of one and half of the other to use? I'm not talking about a specific engine swap, but just any in general. Most shifters have like two cables right? So do you use one from each? What type of cutting, welding, materials etc would/could be involved if someoen is making a shift linkage? And what part of the shifting mechanism is referred to when we say shift linkage? Is it the cables that go from the shifter to the trans? If so, I thought that was called a shift cable?
    Last edited by Edison Carasio; 02-01-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: Customer shift linkage

ed i'm guessing english is not your first language correct?

it's not customer anything, it's CUSTOM, as in custom made. that's the first part...

what you do with the b16 shift linkage is cut it a little shorter and put a different angle on it.

please search for threads started by legend_master ... he has a picture comparison that you can see.

it has nothing to do with cables as the accord doesn't have a cable shift mechanism, some cars do, like the fit for example does. when we say shift LINKAGE it is the bars that go from the shfiter to the transmission under the car...

parts 18 and 14

dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

If you swap something in to the accord that has a cable shift transmission, all you would have to do is figure out how to mount the shifter assembly to the car ,wire the indicator switch and any lock out solenoids if an auto, if a manual it's just cables, if it's a rod linkage like ours, use the end from the engine, and the end from the existing shifter. figure out how you need to bend and fabricate to make the two match up, the torque rod which is the part that doesn't move, has to be installed so the shifter end bushing has room to slide back and forth as the transmission rotates under torque, talking about the bushing up under the heat shield at the back of the shifter assembly, if it can't slide you will have binding in the shifter assembly under torque. the best way to do this is measure the rod diameter of the torque rod that came with the engine, and the one that came with the original rod, they may be the same, if not cut off a short section of steel tube that will slide over the original torque rod, slide it on the tube, now slide it over the original rod, and the new rod, with the shifter centered properly, tack it in place in several places, now remove the entire shifter and fit and weld the two together permanently, you can do the same thing with the shift rod, you just need to have the transmission in neutral first, so you can center the shifter in the car before tacking anything.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

It's really hard to explain over the net what i'm talking about, if i was able to show you with the car up on a lift and ready for the linkage it would make more sense. I can picture the entire thing in my head but it's hard to translate that to a keyboard.

LX User
    Vehicle

My mistake. I work for a car rental company as a support person for our employees who need help with our systems, policies etc and type the word "customer" hundreds of times a day. Has become a force of habit to add the "er" to the end of the word "custom" I guess. Edited the original post.

And thanks guys. I wasn't really talking about swapping into the Accord. I've just been reading alot of stuff on engine swaps and kept hearing "you have to make custom shift linkage" and wanted to REALLY know what that meant. Like when you hear someone say "that has VTEC" but they REALLY don't know what VTEC is or how it works.
    Last edited by Edison Carasio; 02-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Accord of the Year - 2006

lol

you typed customer again

regardless custom linkages usually come with the transmission your getting, and adapt that to your car. So basically whatever shift linkage and lever came with the tranny originally get installed into the new car. Usually causing custom mounting of all the components

sometimes you can get away from using half and half ie the b16 rod shift linkage into accord.

LX User
    Vehicle

*face palm* I am epic fail. Edited post. lol

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

lol, but if you search legend_master 's posts he has a pic in his swap thread that shows the difference.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    If you swap something in to the accord that has a cable shift transmission, all you would have to do is figure out how to mount the shifter assembly to the car ,wire the indicator switch and any lock out solenoids if an auto, if a manual it's just cables, if it's a rod linkage like ours, use the end from the engine, and the end from the existing shifter. figure out how you need to bend and fabricate to make the two match up, the torque rod which is the part that doesn't move, has to be installed so the shifter end bushing has room to slide back and forth as the transmission rotates under torque, talking about the bushing up under the heat shield at the back of the shifter assembly, if it can't slide you will have binding in the shifter assembly under torque. the best way to do this is measure the rod diameter of the torque rod that came with the engine, and the one that came with the original rod, they may be the same, if not cut off a short section of steel tube that will slide over the original torque rod, slide it on the tube, now slide it over the original rod, and the new rod, with the shifter centered properly, tack it in place in several places, now remove the entire shifter and fit and weld the two together permanently, you can do the same thing with the shift rod, you just need to have the transmission in neutral first, so you can center the shifter in the car before tacking anything.
    Yes, this is the correct way to do this, and also the easiest imo. Ive done this with civic swaps before and they came out good, even with garbage welds!
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*