Thread: power steering rack removal

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI 90k, 1987 Mercedes 300D 204k, 1986 Mercedes 190E 16v 87k, 1965 Mustang fastback GT 350 replica

power steering rack removal

In order to drop the power steering rack does the exhaust pipe that connects to the manifold need to be removed? any tidbits of knowledge that can be used to make this job a bit easier or pleasant?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Re: power steering rack removal

I don't think I removed the exhaust when I did mine. I know that the rack has to be turned to one side so it can slide out more easy. As for advice, get some helping hands especially when you're aligning the column with the rack.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

LX User

I suggest you make sure you get the lines threaded correctly when you put it back together. As posted in a previous thread- I had a leak caused by it(a line) being crossthreaded and when I tightened it with the suggested line tool the housing cracked . There is nothing about this job that I would call pleasant . I took it out by myself but had help putting it back in. Again... make sure you turn it all the way to one side(cannot recall think right) to get it out. My exhaust was already out when we tacked this job. Cannot picture doing it with it in... Are you putting in a reman unit? Good luck!

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Yes, the exhaust needs to be unbolted at the bottom of the intake manifold (long extension) and dropped out of the way.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI 90k, 1987 Mercedes 300D 204k, 1986 Mercedes 190E 16v 87k, 1965 Mustang fastback GT 350 replica

parkersnine when you say be careful about cross threading the lines, do you mean should I just hand tighten them first and then use a wrench?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
    parkersnine when you say be careful about cross threading the lines, do you mean should I just hand tighten them first and then use a wrench?
    Hee hee! You're so naive. The lines are steel hoses that do not flex. They will bend themselves as you are removing the old rack and will not line up or thread properly when you go to put them into the new rack. You will find this very frustrating and will be tempted to jam them in the new housing and use your impact wrench to ram them home. Parkersnine is saying that you will create a tremendous disaster if you do this and he's right. Use a heavy pliers to bend the lines so that they thread dead straight into the new housing. You should be able to thread the nuts easily by hand without using a wrench. If you can't, then keep bending until you can.

I replaced the rack in my '82 Accord and it was among the top 10 most frustrating repairs I've done. I, for whatever reason, couldn't figure out how to get the steering column off the rack for about a day or so. You spend most of the time under the car where all the yuck from the old rack drips onto you (I assume the old rack is leaking). The rest of the time you'll spend under the dash, twisted like a serial killer.

Before you begin, use a can of brake cleaner to blow all the old crud off the lines you are about to disconnect. Otherwise the crud will get into the new rack and make a mess. Use only Honda PS fluid or you'll be back under there in another 6 months having all this fun again. Your first drive after finishing should be straight to the alignment shop. Make sure you get the tie rods ends threaded on the same distance as they were on the old rack or you'll burn up your tires before you make it there. There are hillbilly alignment how-tos on the web that you should consult. This one is pretty good: http://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

The '89 shop manual is available here: shop manual and I'd encourage you to read up before taking this on.

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing the rack? I mean, aside from the fun factor.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle

I am replacing it for fun, there isn't anything I consider more fun than taking a power steering rack out. Mine drips constantly and cant keep the reservoir full for more than a day. Thanks for the input.

DX User
    Vehicle

thanks for the alignment link as well!

DX User
    Vehicle

Does anyone have a link that describes the removal of the P/S rack?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
    Does anyone have a link that describes the removal of the P/S rack?
    That would be the shop manual link I posted. It's the best.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    That would be the shop manual link I posted. It's the best.

The manual says to remove center beam is this really needed to remove the rack or is there a mechanics trick that could help... and its turn right for LHD and turn left for RHD and im still not seeing another way to remove it other than removing center beam.... help anyone?

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by JJ'sAccord View Post
    The manual says to remove center beam is this really needed to remove the rack or is there a mechanics trick that could help... and its turn right for LHD and turn left for RHD and im still not seeing another way to remove it other than removing center beam.... help anyone?
    you have to remove the to Half Moon brackets that hold two bolts each. one on each side. and you have to pull back the carpet and released the steering wheel from the rack and pinion

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LXI

Thumbs down Re: power steering rack removal

Quote Originally Posted by Shane86 View Post
    you have to remove the to Half Moon brackets that hold two bolts each. one on each side. and you have to pull back the carpet and released the steering wheel from the rack and pinion
    I got the old rack out man that was not a straight forward job.... cleaned up everything and i will attempt to put this reman back in wish me luck haha