Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe, 1995 Dodge Ram 1500

New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

First, I am from Huntington Beach, CA.

I am a desert racing enthusiast, and have started 4 project trucks now, and sold them all without doing a damn thing to them because I have a tendency to choose projects that take way more time and resources than I have.

One of the resource drains I have is that I daily drive a beaten '95 Ram with a 5.9l which I think gets <10 mpg. So, I had the bright idea that if I got a 4 cylinder beater car for less than $500 I would have a mini project and a DD that would save me money. The car would have to be something that is a body style that most people don't care for(cheaper) and that has some level of aftermarket support(a car that parts can't be found for is not a good project for someone with a limited budget), and it has to be able to drive home(my projects are never driveable, which I think contributes to them never getting anywhere). My first idea was an early 80s Mustang, the 2.3 can be a power house and parts are cheap, but the only way to get power and stay CARB legal (I believe in the sniffer test) would be a v8 swap, which defeats the purpose. Then I remembered- I like the old hatchback accords. This led me to Google, which led me to Legend_Master's build thread, which showed me all the fun things that can be done to a 3g Accord for relatively cheap.

The problem is that these damn things are really hard to find. I am pretty set on an automatic(I'm lazy), and fuel injection(if the project worked I would eventually want a B-series in it, and again, am too lazy to swap a full harness). I am not even all that picky on the body style, I like the hatch, I like the coupe, and I could tolerate the sedan, but they are surprisingly hard to find. I found one in the South Bay with cooling issues, but it sold before I could check it out, and there is another one in Costa Mesa, but the guy won't respond, the only other one is in up by Gorman, but the ad says the tranny is shot(would need to be towed).

I've checked Craigslist extensively, Autotrader has nothing, Cars.com has nothing, do you guys know where else I should look.

I kind of wrote a lot, but whatever, the above is why I am here.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

look out side of your range maybe up here in the bay area
    i have managed 3 fully running cars all for under 500 each

all 3gs
    my 88lx was 300
    my 89lx was 400
    my 87lxi hatch was 500

3Geez Veteran

Beautiful third-gens always show up in the Seattle Craig's List. I know that's a bit far, but if you want a good start for cheap...

LX User
    Vehicle

If I go too far to get one it sort of defeats the purpose of finding one that runs, cost wise. There is one close that needs an alternator, but is a stick and carbed, this one will be my fall back.

I am sort of brainstorming as far as the one that has a blown trans and is 50 miles away. It has nice body, and the engine bay is really clean, but I don't know if my truck is in good enough shape to tow a car through the grape vine, plus having a trans rebuilt could be really expensive, BUT from what I have read the trans issue could be as simple as dirty old fluid and a loose TV cable.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    If I go too far to get one it sort of defeats the purpose of finding one that runs, cost wise. There is one close that needs an alternator, but is a stick and carbed, this one will be my fall back.

I am sort of brainstorming as far as the one that has a blown trans and is 50 miles away. It has nice body, and the engine bay is really clean, but I don't know if my truck is in good enough shape to tow a car through the grape vine, plus having a trans rebuilt could be really expensive, BUT from what I have read the trans issue could be as simple as dirty old fluid and a loose TV cable.
    you could also just grab one from the jy for cheap and should be able to replace in a day or so

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Chino
    Longbeach
    Northridge
    Claremont
    They are kind of pricey but you may be able to negotiate.
    Good Luck Hunting

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I would try to get a fuel injected car. I have one myself, and every time I read posts with the problems people have centered on vacuum leaks, other carb issues etc I'm glad I'm on the other side. Also, the f.i. cars have 20 more horsepower, that's 20% more horsepower in our case, not something to be lightly dismissed.

Maybe you get tied up in SoCal traffic a lot, and that's why you want an automatic. I guess that's a suitable reason, certainly better than "I'm lazy," but a clutch is a lot simpler than a slush box, and you can repair a clutch yourself. You'll get better mileage with a stick too.

Just check c/l every day. Something will come your way.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

ill keep a look out for ya...btw im in newport...we're having a meet on the 13th...you down?

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    Maybe you get tied up in SoCal traffic a lot, and that's why you want an automatic. I guess that's a suitable reason, certainly better than "I'm lazy," but a clutch is a lot simpler than a slush box, and you can repair a clutch yourself. You'll get better mileage with a stick too.
    I have never had to drive a stick, I've learned in a car, and I used to have a quad, but I've never had to drive one regularly enough for it to become thoughtless like it is for most stick drivers. I know I could do it, but there would be a bit of a learning curve as far as knowing when to up and down shift.

I think I have opened up to a stick, my commute to school is only like 4 miles with no real stops or inclines, so it would be a good stretch to gain some seat time on before tackling anything twisty or mountainous.

I am pretty set on fuel injection at this point, unless someone gives me a carb model I don't see any reason I would choose that route. It would just be so much more work to get CARB legal power, it's probably not even possible.

Also, I am pretty set on a hatchback, I do like the coupe and sedan, but really only in certain colors, so that would be the absolute last resort.

LX User
    Vehicle

I think I have a plan of action now. Originally, I wanted a car to drive while I fixed my truck, the tie rods and brakes are all shot and it needs am alignment before it kills another set of tires, BUT I really want a 3g. So, my plan is to order the parts I still need for my truck, get it good enough to tow with, then pick up the 3g with the blown trans. A blown trans is a bigger fix than I wanted to deal with, but this one has a way better body than all the others, so I think it will even out in the end. This way my truck will be in top shape to drive while I work on the 3g, and I can use the 3g when I am upgrading the truck.

Now, to figure out whether I want to: try and rebuild the trans myself, buy a junkyard trans and hope it works, or take out the trans and have it fixed professionally.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

if you want ill sell you mine..

Sike!!!! nah im kidding man ill never sell my sleeper but if you want one fuel injection come down to the san fernando valley bro you will find these cars running and looking better than mine(fucking paint is peeling off) and some of them are for sale you just gotta look hard and and take time on finding one you like.

LX User
    Vehicle

I've found one I like that I think I will get for cheap, and it looks to be in awesome shape (except for the trans) compared to all the others in the price range, plus it is an LXi, plus it is a hatch, plus it is a color I like. The only issue now is whether it will sell before I am ready to pick it up.

welcome aboard man. hope it works out for you.

-dan

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Unless the trans is blown in 5th, which you can fix w/o taking it out, you might be better off just getting one from a JY. Usually, they will do a replacement guarantee if it doesn't work. If you're doing the labor that could work well for you.

Don't worry on learning to drive a stick. It's about 15 minutes worth of effort.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by harrison_bergeron View Post
    ...plus it is a color i like.
    ssm!?!

LX User
    Vehicle

That means Seattle Silver Metallic, right?

No, it's an '86, looks like it is probably Graphite Grey Metallic like Legend_Master's. The only color I would seek out over the dark grey would be one of the gold/champagne colors, but those don't look to have ever been available on the LXi, so that is moot.

3Geez Veteran

LX User
    Vehicle

That is what I was referencing, the car is a dark gray '86, so I assume that is Graphite Gray Metallic. From the small craigslist pics it looks like the clear coat is as glossy as it was 20 years ago. If it works out I am thinking some folks are gonna be jealous of the score.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    ssm!?!
    ssm is a nice color how ever not the best IMO lol. i dont care much for it on 3gees.. (one reason i rattle canned mine) but i do love it on CB's... my favorite 3g color is polar white and Britney blue metallic

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

LX User
    Vehicle

So, I found a black '89 coupe with an auto and probably the best stock interior one will find, it had a bad cooling system and expired tags. I didn't drive it when I went to look at it because I knew it was going to need work and a running engine was all I cared about, it started and ran, that was all that mattered, if it broke down as soon as I got it out of the driveway I would just call AAA.

Well, I had my mom drive me to pick it up this morning, when she realized I hadn't driven it she was shocked. So, to appease my mother I got in to do a hot lap around the parking lot before we started the paperwork, it took a few cranks to start, but it started, although it ran rough, I put it in reverse, it puttered, it died without having moved a foot, it wouldn't start again. It cranks fine, so the battery and starter are good, and I could hear the fuel pump prime, I couldn't think of anything else to check without having to disassemble stuff with tools. I told him that if he got it running I would come back, and that if he wanted to sell it for cheaper I would consider it, but I still don't have my 3g.

I can't believe how hard this process is being.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Where are you at in Huntington? I am in West Garden Grove. The 22 and Valley View. By where Bolsa Chica changes in to Valley View.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

LX User
    Vehicle

By Beach and Adams, close to Main St.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    By Beach and Adams, close to Main St.
    Cool I know it. The Pick Your Part at Beach and Ball Rd in Stanton is a good spot for parts if you know what you are looking for also.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

LX User
    Vehicle

I was hoping I'd have a reason to check out the pick a part this weekend, I've been there once or twice for little throw away parts to get a truck mobile, but never for parts to actually fix or upgrade something.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

So did you ever get the car?