Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe, 1995 Dodge Ram 1500

Re: New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

Nope, I almost had a black coupe, but it wouldn't start the day I went to pick it up, even though it started fine the first day I looked at it. The guy says he really needs the money, so I am hoping I will still get it at a lower price. I am just going to keep watching Craigslist and be ready to jump at a moments notice.

I found the holy grail last night, but someone realized it before I did, so it sold before morning. It was an LX (with a sunroof) with a blown head gasket for $300, the tags were expired so they were willing to negotiate on the price.

LX User
    Vehicle

I am supposed to pick up my Black LXi Coupe tomorrow.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Pics we want to see pics when you get it

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    I am supposed to pick up my Black LXi Coupe tomorrow.
    I was going to say I hope you get a fuel injected model. Better in the long run.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntman View Post
    I was going to say I hope you get a fuel injected model. Better in the long run.
    I agree with you.

And harrison it would be easier for you to work on this car for any lil mods you wanna do so best of luck on your 3g

LX User
    Vehicle

The body on mine is pretty beat, but I love the ivory interior, it is just plain sexy. It has some sun rotted areas on the tops of the side panels, but the seats, dash and console look pristine.

With any luck I'll know why it wont start by the end of the day tomorrow, and will have it running by the end of the weekend.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

The body on mine is pretty beat, but I love the ivory interior, it is just plain sexy. It has some sun rotted areas on the tops of the side panels, but the seats, dash and console look pristine.

With any luck I'll know why it wont start by the end of the day tomorrow, and will have it running by the end of the weekend.
    Let me know if you need any help. I am not far from you at all.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Be sure to take a spare battery

Not starting can be a dead battery or dirty battery cables
    Make sure they are tighten down to the battery

Other problems could be fuel pump relay or fuse you should hear a whining noise when you have the key in 2 position, starter or ignition but I doubt it though but it can happen check all fuses test them change old fuse for new ones if old one look in bad shape better safe than sorry. Almost forgot....check all grounds hope these are one of the problems and should be a easy fix.

LX User
    Vehicle

The car started fine the first time I looked at it, then when I went to buy it it took a few tries to get it to turn over, then stalled out when I put it in reverse, and would not turn over after that. It cranks, so it is not the battery or starter, and I can hear the fuel pump prime, so it is probably not that. The guy I'm buying it from is not mechanically apt in the least, but he says he had someone look at it and they thought it was the pump. Can the pump prime when the key is turned, but still be bad?

All it takes for an engine to run is fuel, air, and spark, so first I will make sure the air intake is not blocked (highly doubtful, but easiest to check), then I will take off the cap and make sure the dizzy parts aren't worn(a fried rotor caused these symptoms on my truck once), then I will disconnect the fuel line in the engine bay and turn the key to on(if it is the pump then I won't get any gas out of the line when it primes). If none of those reveal the problem then I will have to do more research.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Maybe the pump is bad ask the guy when the last time it was change along witht the strainer and fuel filter

LX User
    Vehicle

The guy knows nothing about cars.

I have the car now, the guy thoroughly drained the battery trying to "fix" it. With no battery, working in the street, the most likely culprit I could find was that the air filter was half saturated in motor oil, and there was a puddle of it in the bottom of the air box. There are two parts in the trunk that look like old PCV valves, which I think would be a likely culprit for the oil where it shouldn't be, so that is where my research for the night will start.

I spent most of the day trying to get the damn car off the trailer, that was something I had neglected to plan out ahead of time. My plan had been to get it running on the trailer and drive it off, but with a dead battery I had to improvise. I had to ask the 40 something year old woman next door to help me push, while her 12 year old son minded the brake. Good times.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-I

The guy knows nothing about cars.

I have the car now, the guy thoroughly drained the battery trying to "fix" it. With no battery, working in the street, the most likely culprit I could find was that the air filter was half saturated in motor oil, and there was a puddle of it in the bottom of the air box. There are two parts in the trunk that look like old PCV valves, which I think would be a likely culprit for the oil where it shouldn't be, so that is where my research for the night will start.

I spent most of the day trying to get the damn car off the trailer, that was something I had neglected to plan out ahead of time. My plan had been to get it running on the trailer and drive it off, but with a dead battery I had to improvise. I had to ask the 40 something year old woman next door to help me push, while her 12 year old son minded the brake. Good times.
    Do you have spark?

LX User
    Vehicle

The battery is dead, I'm waiting on a charger, and should be able to look for that on Thursday.

LX User
    Vehicle

Ok, I got the car started and off the street. I am not 100% on what exactly fixed it.

I thought it was the oily air filter, so I took that off and it started, but it died after a few feet and would not turn over after that. This is the original problem, so the filter was not the culprit.

Next I cleaned the throttle body with a liberal amount of TB cleaner and a wire brush. It turned over and idled kind of rough, but then did start running well enough to get it in the garage. The rough running could have been due to the open TB. I'm not sure if the cleaner down the manifold was the trick, or the cleaning of the TB. I don't know why the TB being dirty would allow it to start once, but then do nothing after that.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-I

Ok, I got the car started and off the street. I am not 100% on what exactly fixed it.

I thought it was the oily air filter, so I took that off and it started, but it died after a few feet and would not turn over after that. This is the original problem, so the filter was not the culprit.

Next I cleaned the throttle body with a liberal amount of TB cleaner and a wire brush. It turned over and idled kind of rough, but then did start running well enough to get it in the garage. The rough running could have been due to the open TB. I'm not sure if the cleaner down the manifold was the trick, or the cleaning of the TB. I don't know why the TB being dirty would allow it to start once, but then do nothing after that.
    How long would it run for before it wouldnt start again? Your main relay could be going bad.

LX User
    Vehicle

It would run for 30+ seconds, then when you put it in gear and started moving it would die, going back to park would save it momentarily, but then it would still die. After that it would just crank with no indication that it was close to actually turning over. When you'd come back the next day it would start over from the beginning.

It is very strange because wouldn't any electrical issue still have a problem after the TB cleaning? I didn't touch anything electrical, but it still ran decent for a 10 point turn to get into my garage, stationary steering wheel cranking and all. It seems very strange to me that a TB could be dirty enough to prevent a car from starting.

I am curios to see how well it starts tomorrow. If all is well I'll start working on the oily air box, and give it a good washing, then pics.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

sounds like you main relay for the pump

so answer me this when you turn it on in the morning it starts right? and when you try to turn it on in the afternoon with you turning it on and it wont start am i right? if so you got a bad relay and you can say no if this is your first 3g

i had the same problem with mine it wouldnt start when the car was hot inside but would start in the morning and at night but not mid day

LX User
    Vehicle

No, the first time it happened was late morning(high 60s), the second was well into the afternoon(mid 70s and parked in shade). When I got it to work today it was afternoon(mid 70s).

The starting, stalling, not starting, all happens within 3-5 minutes, and seems to happen regardless of time of day or temperature.

I think this particular problem might be fixed, I wont know until I try to start it tomorrow.

LX User
    Vehicle

I finally fixed the external oil leaks and plumbed in an oil catch can, the whole thing went pretty easily, and I am quite satisfied-

-that was until the idle went to hell, the oil catch can filled in 10 minutes and it started belching smoke. I borrowed a compression tester and it seems the motor is beyond shot.

So, the lesson I have learned from this car is that you should always take a compression tester with you when buying a beaten car. Granted, when I bought it I was willing to do an engine rebuild or motor swap, but now I don't have the time, money, or desire, due to another more rewarding project I just picked up.

I think I'm selling this thing before I even got a chance to drive it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi 5sp, 293k

More rewarding project??? Inquiring minds want details.

LX User
    Vehicle

5.0 powered Ranger prerunner.

I really want to have the accord as my commuter, it's got style, but if I'm pulling a motor and rebuilding it or paying someone else to do it then it is gonna be the 5.0.

I've got my mega millions ticket here, so who knows in a few minutes I might have enough money and time to take care of both projects.