Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Batteries...

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

Exclamation Lightweight Batteries...

Well in the process of throwing the 3G together I'm looking into batteries. Since I'm going to be tracking this car, as well as occasional DD it I need something that will hold somewhat of a charge. (Or I can rig up a trickle charger and just plug my car in at night) I was looking at Odyssey, and braille then found out Braille's are re-badged Deka's for 3x as much. I've decided to go with the Deka ETX14. Just wondering if anyone else runs a motorcycle battery and your thoughts. I need to say that I know it will work before someone chimes in and say's that it wont. But below are listed some specs and what not of other batteries for comparison if anyone else has considered this.

Please note the The Deka brand are the exact same battery as the Braille, just MUCH CHEAPER. Just different labeling. some guy working for the "mother" company confirmed it....

As far as I know - All the CCA for the manufacturers is done at 0F, and the CA is at 32F, all this info is off the manufacturer website.
    According to Autozone website the 240sx needs 360 CA.
    So if you want 100% factory reliability even at 0F you want to be shopping around for something that will have at least 360CCA.
    For those of you where the weather gets in the negative digits (F) you will want something that has a CCA > 360 at 0F
    The battery I had in (Advance Auto Parts stock replacement stuff) weights 37lb..
    READ THIS:
    In BLUE are the brands whose CCA Ratings seems either off or make it hard to find their testing methods.
    Deka Batteries are more than likely to be Deka ETX re-badged -- Their advertised CCA IS PROBABLY NOT PERFORMED AT 0F.
    By Brand:
    Braille**:
    Braille B3121 ----------CCA: 550 ---- weight: 21lb ---------------- CA: 742
    Braille B2015 ----------CCA: 425 ---- weight: 15lb ---------------- CA: 574
    Braille B14115 ---------CCA: 360 ---- weight: 11lb,8oz ------------ CA: 486
    Braille B106 -----------CCA: 210 ---- weight: 6lb,6oz ------------- CA: 283
    Westco:
    Westco Miata ---------CCA: 475 ---- weight: 25lb
    Deka:
    Deka ETX30 -----------CCA: 370 ---- weight: 21.7lb
    Deka ETX20 -----------CCA: 270 ---- weight: 15.5lb
    Deka ETX18 -----------CCA: 300 ---- weight: 18lb
    Deka ETX16 -----------CCA: 275 ---- weight: 17lb
    Deka ETX14 -----------CCA: 200 ---- weight: 12lb
    Deka ETX12 -----------CCA: 180 ---- weight: 9.4lb
    Deka ETX9 -----------CCA: 120 ---- weight: 6.3lb
    Odyssey:
    Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*
    Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
    Optima:
    Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
    Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910
    Duralast:
    Duralast 8AMU1R ------CCA: 330 ---- weight: 25lb
    Marathon:
    Marathon MAR-8AMU1R-CCA: 320 ---- weight: 25lb

By CCA:
    Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb -------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb -------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb -------------- CA: 910
    Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb -------------- CA: 910
    Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 ---- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
    Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 ---- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*

By Weight:
    Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000
    Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
    Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910
    Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
    Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*

More info:
    Braille:
    Probably Deka re-badged
    **no info on website on what Temp the CCA and CA test are done at...
    DEKA:
    Come with M6 Thread on terminals - you will need adapter to SAE automotive Terminals.
    Rebadged as BigCrank, Braille and other brands // BigCrank has cheap price .
    (Proved and discussed on the vwvortex there is a whole thread about it.)
    Odyssey:
    *MJT: Metal Jacket + Terminals.
    Also the Odysseys have battery mounting brackets available.
    Miata Battery:
    Duralast rates them at 330CCA, Marathon at 320CCA, Westco at 475CCA,
    make what you want of this info but personally I'm not getting a Westco Battery
    Made by EastPenn Mfg.
    Sold under:
    Marathon MAR-8AMU1R (1Year Warranty)
    Westco 12V31M (4 Year Warranty)
    Duralast 8AMU1R (8Year Warranty - apparently WAS available at autozone)
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Lightweight Batteries...

don't go with the optima lots of complaints since manufacturing was moved to mexico. everyone I know including myself says odyssey, thats what i'll be running too. as far as cranking amps most manufacturers test CCA at 32 F odyssey tests at 0 F

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

no complaints with my optima. made it through several days in the teens... my odyssey however would not start my car with the temperature below 45. and i had the 625 which is slightly bigger than the pc680.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe

If shedding weight from the front of the car is your goal, the best method is to toss the battery in the back. Yes, a tad of work is required (as is a bit of copper... expensive these days) but not only do you shift the weight in a positive manner, you clear up a decent amount of engine bay space. That space, chance would have it, is almost perfect for the install of an MSD (or whatever brand) ignition box.

As per batteries themselves, my choice is Optima. Now, I haven't bought an Opti in years (had one in my first 3g before the batt was stolen), but my experiences with them are all good. Hearing that they outsourced their manufacturing does make me a bit more iffy concerning them now, but YMMV.
    Just my twopence.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    no complaints with my optima. made it through several days in the teens... my odyssey however would not start my car with the temperature below 45. and i had the 625 which is slightly bigger than the pc680.
    thats odd thy are usually pretty good about starting in cold weather.

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

I already have extended cables from my hatch (I had the bat in the rear) I'm not going with an optima due to the fact that it weighs so much. And I'm not sure I want to have it on the cabin again. But I have the cables if I do decide to go that route. And I'm sorry to burst your bubble Lost, but from what I've read is that Odyssey's can be a bear in the winters if they get too cold.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bglad420 View Post
    I already have extended cables from my hatch (I had the bat in the rear) I'm not going with an optima due to the fact that it weighs so much. And I'm not sure I want to have it on the cabin again. But I have the cables if I do decide to go that route. And I'm sorry to burst your bubble Lost, but from what I've read is that Odyssey's can be a bear in the winters if they get too cold.
    I did a ton of research on them and talked to a lot of people who own them, and thats the first i've heard of winter problems, are you sure yours was brought back to 100 percent capacity? if you run on down pretty good, a regular charger won't bring it back up 100 percent, it will charge but will only come up to maby 80 percent with a regular charger, the charging system in the car will charge it, but it won't bring it back from a bad discharge. you need a voltage controlled charger from their approved list to make sure it comes up 100 percent. if you use a regular non voltage controlled charger you can destroy the battery or severely damage it. You should have contacted odyssey about your issue, that battery you have is more then capable of starting your car even at 0 degrees. what gauge cable are you running from the battery to starter? we run into this at work a lot, the concord aircraft batteries need the same type of charger and they can be damaged pretty bad with walmart chargers

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm not sure what engine you have, but the a20 weighs a ton. If you have an MT, then you'll find the car lists to the engine side already. Removing the battery will only worsen that.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

In my case thats ok because the the pass side tire wants to light first if I get into a 1 legged burnout situation... Anyway, Im planning on ordering a Deka ETX 14 soon anyway because I need somthing that will fit in a small area up front. Turbos and piping take up a lot of room haha
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    In my case thats ok because the the pass side tire wants to light first if I get into a 1 legged burnout situation... Anyway, Im planning on ordering a Deka ETX 14 soon anyway because I need somthing that will fit in a small area up front. Turbos and piping take up a lot of room haha
    so do forced air oil coolers, battery had to go

Vehicle

weird that you say that because i've owned 3 of them, in 2 different cars and every one of them had a horrible time if the temps got below 45 degrees.

first time it happened to me was in arizona, go out and the car wouldn't start. i got out the volt meter and had full voltage. checked some fuses... come back in scratching my head, and my wife says maybe try pooring some hot water on the battery? i say hmm, maybe it is too cold, go out poor a cup of room temperature water on it, and bam starts right up.

got to be pretty standard after that. so when i moved here in july it was fine, but by november it started doing it every morning (this was a completely different battery and brand new and the 625 instead of the 680). so i sold it and bought an optima, it has not had a problem since...
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

weird that you say that because i've owned 3 of them, in 2 different cars and every one of them had a horrible time if the temps got below 45 degrees.

first time it happened to me was in arizona, go out and the car wouldn't start. i got out the volt meter and had full voltage. checked some fuses... come back in scratching my head, and my wife says maybe try pooring some hot water on the battery? i say hmm, maybe it is too cold, go out poor a cup of room temperature water on it, and bam starts right up.

got to be pretty standard after that. so when i moved here in july it was fine, but by november it started doing it every morning (this was a completely different battery and brand new and the 625 instead of the 680). so i sold it and bought an optima, it has not had a problem since...
    i'm going to run the 625, it doesn't get too cold here anyway, and when the car is done it won't be a daily driver, so it shouldn't matter much. strange you've had problems, I know people up north who run them in hot rods and they start right up even in winter. If it gets so cold th battery won't start, the SU's probably won't want to start eithier. what gauge wire do you run?

Vehicle

well i'm sure they aren't storing their hotrods outside in the open, maybe that contributes to the problem. but i had problems in arizona even with the car in the garage, only a couple days as it only gets that cold in like mid january for a week, but here i don't have a garage.

i thought about getting a box for it and insulating it. i know that angus, lx-incredible, has the pc925 and it's a beast. his is mounted low and isn't in the way at all even for its size. just a thought.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

well i'm sure they aren't storing their hotrods outside in the open, maybe that contributes to the problem. but i had problems in arizona even with the car in the garage, only a couple days as it only gets that cold in like mid january for a week, but here i don't have a garage.

i thought about getting a box for it and insulating it. i know that angus, lx-incredible, has the pc925 and it's a beast. his is mounted low and isn't in the way at all even for its size. just a thought.
    maby you have one that is too small? i have a small stereo in mine and the alarm, but no power windows,no computer,no ac etc. so mine should be fine, the pc625 actually meets the factory specs on the original battery. everyone forgets this car came with a tiny battery. nearly everyone has replaced it with an off the shelf bigger battery. when the car is running everything runs off of the alternator anyway. the alternator produces a higher voltage then the battery, which is what allows it to charge. a lot of people misunderstand how a car charging system works, the battery really does nothing but start the car, once it starts the alternator is the primary power source unless you exceed the amperage capability of what it can produce.

Vehicle

no power anything in my civic dx, no ac, no power steering, only the timing belt running the motor and the water pump and alternator. stereo rarely gets used, no drain on my current battery so who knows... starter works with the new battery and the 625 worked great in warm temperatures. so who knows, i'm probably going to buy another one when i get back to arizona in a few years since it was rarely a problem, just thought i'd mention it is all.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

Your going to want to make sure that you blanket it. HEAT will kill these batteries FAST.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I'm not sure what engine you have, but the a20 weighs a ton. If you have an MT, then you'll find the car lists to the engine side already. Removing the battery will only worsen that.
    Any weight that I can pull from the nose and move to give a better 50/50 weight distribution the better. Also It's a good I dea to move the battery to the opposing side as the engine to help balance that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    maby you have one that is too small? i have a small stereo in mine and the alarm, but no power windows,no computer,no ac etc. so mine should be fine, the pc625 actually meets the factory specs on the original battery. everyone forgets this car came with a tiny battery. nearly everyone has replaced it with an off the shelf bigger battery. when the car is running everything runs off of the alternator anyway. the alternator produces a higher voltage then the battery, which is what allows it to charge. a lot of people misunderstand how a car charging system works, the battery really does nothing but start the car, once it starts the alternator is the primary power source unless you exceed the amperage capability of what it can produce.

These cars will start on 200 CCA, and a lot of people run these in New WRX/STi's EVO's and what not and they have a lot more electronics and powered equipment too. But through peoples personal experiences Ody's dont like cold.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

hmm how much heat? Im planning on putting it about a foot away from the engine...
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

hmm how much heat? Im planning on putting it about a foot away from the engine...
    From what I've read (All being mainly on Subies) That They do OK, but tire quickly because of the temp in the engine bay lasting 1-2 years. A few guys have wrapped them and had better luck, but most move them to the cabin away from the heat and get 4-5 years out of them. But a turbo A 3G has a lot more open room than they do, and I'm sure not as hot. I'm considering leaving mine up front for now or maybe moving it behind the passenger rear interior panel.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bglad420 View Post
    From what I've read (All being mainly on Subies) That They do OK, but tire quickly because of the temp in the engine bay lasting 1-2 years. A few guys have wrapped them and had better luck, but most move them to the cabin away from the heat and get 4-5 years out of them. But a turbo A 3G has a lot more open room than they do, and I'm sure not as hot. I'm considering leaving mine up front for now or maybe moving it behind the passenger rear interior panel.
    you can get the battery with a plastic case or a shielded case to protect it from heat, you add something to the part number. they make the case with steel around it for high heat situations.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

in ot watch results from this, i actully know someone that can get me 12volt hoverround batts for 15 bucks brand new, dudes father works and a plant makeing them, i know they have enough power to start a car and there small, closed top and weigh under 10 lbs im just worried about allways running everything straight from the alt after the crank. so im interested to see how this turns out

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by labeledsk8r View Post
    in ot watch results from this, i actully know someone that can get me 12volt hoverround batts for 15 bucks brand new, dudes father works and a plant makeing them, i know they have enough power to start a car and there small, closed top and weigh under 10 lbs im just worried about allways running everything straight from the alt after the crank. so im interested to see how this turns out
    i might be interested in a couple of those for the electric motorcycle, ten pounds is great and they are classed as wheelchair batteries. any idea of the amp hours of them? as far as running stuff straight from the alternator, thats the way nearly every car electrical system is designed to work. the alternator is the primary power source. once the battery is fully charge it's just static unless you exceed the amperage output of it.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

come back in scratching my head, and my wife says maybe try pooring some hot water on the battery? i say hmm, maybe it is too cold, go out poor a cup of room temperature water on it, and bam starts right up.
    What the Fuck, can I hire your wife to work on my car??

I just have a civic battery in my 3g. Stock battery tray, edge cut to clear the intake tube, custom top clamp. I used to have the normal size battery in the back, but when you add up the long, thick cable, the box, etc, + the big battery, it's quite a bit more weight than what I have now, and with the car being a traction limited fwd, I'd rather have the weight up front.

Accord of the Year - 2006

If your going to get one of these small batteries, battery tneder is your friend. I bought a battery tender junior and its made my life so much easier. I have an overprice Braille battery. the 11 lb one I believe.

All these small batteries will die in a couple of days of sitting, so plan ahead. my Braille died and I sent it in under warranty, but they were trying to say my cars charging system was at fault. I said no and please exchange under warranty.

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

I've already thought of that. I was going to hard wire one in with mine.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    What the Fuck, can I hire your wife to work on my car??

I just have a civic battery in my 3g. Stock battery tray, edge cut to clear the intake tube, custom top clamp. I used to have the normal size battery in the back, but when you add up the long, thick cable, the box, etc, + the big battery, it's quite a bit more weight than what I have now, and with the car being a traction limited fwd, I'd rather have the weight up front.
    she's definitely smarter than me that's for sure. she doesn't know anything mechanical it's so funny, i try to get her to think through things to understand how they work and how to fix them and i lose her at like the 3rd step of anything lol.

but i always talk problems out with her because she has some random insight that might work but i would never think of on account of knowing the normal ways to do things.

i'm currently using an optima red in the trunk with 0ga wires from a set of jumpers and i'll say it does in fact add a lot of weight to the car, but i'm not concerned about that since i have quick disconnects if i ever want to put a smaller one in i can in about 2 minutes total. the wire at least is spread out weight vs. all in one place.
    dead white and blue