Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Info!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Exclamation Brake Info!

All this I posted up on another site
    I got this sticked on IA, and well I think they deserve a sticky on 3geez also.

How to bleed the brakes "The Right Way" >>Click<<
    Info on "Warped" Brakes >>Click<<
    Bedding Pads and Rotor Info >>Click<<
    How to pick out the right brake Upgrades >>Click<<
    Info on upgrading the rear brakes >>Click<<
    How to Remove uneven pad deposits >>Click<<

Some other Good reads >>Click<<

Happy stopping

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Brake Info!

Good stuff. Thanks!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Arn't they the guys that say "brake rotors don't warp" Thats always a sticking point with me not reading any of the links or anything.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

yea thats the source. and after you read it it makes complete logical sense. I use to work at a shop and you could never visibly see rotors(with in spec) "wobble" on a lathe. and the amount of material you remove when they are tuned is so thin that if the rotors were out of round then turning it wouldn't help at all.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The deposit idea makes sense, but I'll confess that I'm not entirely satisfied with it. Every Honda I've driven and other Honda drivers I know have trouble with wobbly front brakes. My Bimmer's brakes are always smooth as glass, even though I didn't bed them. My Blazer never wobbled either. None of my Dad's American cars wobbled. For me, it seems this problem is exclusive to Hondas. I don't know if that's because they use a goofy compound in their pads, undersized rotors or what. Maybe I'll start experimenting with different pad compounds to see if I can make it better.
    Dr_Snooz

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

it all depends on how you drive. I haven never had a problem with any of the rotors(that are within spec) on hondas down here. its always other random ass cars. ive seen everything from new cars(09 cars with less then 30k on them) have "warped" rotors to cars that have never had their rotors changed and the rotor broke off from the hub(that shit was crazy).

it also depends on the brand of the rotor also. driving type +different material + thickness +vent types will all play a factor in the "warping" of a rotor.

Accord of the Year - 2006

I thik we had a long argument discussion about the whole doesnt warp cementite thing a while back.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89 View Post
    I thik we had a long argument discussion about the whole doesnt warp cementite thing a while back.
    Care to provide a quick recap? I'd love to keep my brakes from wobbling.
    Dr_Snooz

we never agreed and some believed that no matter how much you resurfaced rotors that the deposits left from the pads would always cause a wobble.

I disagree from personal experiance. While deposits might be inbedded into the rotors a machining of the surface and pad change has always resulted me in no wobble. This is after years of use as well. (or pulsating which was also discussed)

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Care to provide a quick recap? I'd love to keep my brakes from wobbling.

The short answer is that rotors don't generally "warp". What happens is that the pad material gets deposited unevenly on the surface, creating spots that have more or less friction than other parts. The would make them pulse when you apply the brakes. Over time this leads to uneven rotor wear that makes them pulse even more. This is commonly mistaken for "warping".

To prevent uneven pad material deposition the pads and rotors need to be broken in properly. Not to mention correctly chosen for the application. Having the rotors resurfaced should clean off the deposits enough to make them usable again, provided they aren't too thin afterward.

C|
    Last edited by cygnus x-1; 03-31-2010 at 02:21 PM.

we never agreed

lol

Personally I think they are both common. Right now my RL has deposits on the front rotors causing a slip/stick situation that I can feel. Most would confuse that with warped. The original owener simply had the pads replaced. The rotors are not warped.

My wifes car (2000 Accord) warped the rotors with the oem pad from overheating. Turned rotors replaced with better pad and problem solved.

You really have to know what your up against since they can be mistaken for one another.

I'm a firm beleiver in turning rotors though.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

bump for a sticky.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

This is the reason my father would replace rotors with pads and then have the rotors resurfaced and store them in the garage. He never liked having to wait for the rotors to be resurfaced.
    Phil

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

lol

Personally I think they are both common. Right now my RL has deposits on the front rotors causing a slip/stick situation that I can feel. Most would confuse that with warped. The original owener simply had the pads replaced. The rotors are not warped.

My wifes car (2000 Accord) warped the rotors with the oem pad from overheating. Turned rotors replaced with better pad and problem solved.

You really have to know what your up against since they can be mistaken for one another.

I'm a firm beleiver in turning rotors though.
    eh the slip/stick feeling is just a different type of deposit build up. it would be more of a < shape and a "warped" rotor would be more of an ( shape. it creates a different feel in the pedals.

my point being deposits could be easily mistaken for a warped rotor since pulsation through the brake pedal would be almost the same.

oh and I forgot to mention the heated pad c/rotor complete stop, which would leave an indentation on the rotor.

that would also send a pulsation through the brake pedal. Can be remidied by turning thevrotors as well

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

^^ did u read the links? when come to complete stop on a stupid hot rotor is when it leaves a deposit. the only way to even come close to physically warping a rotor is if it gets glowing hot and then have some sort of impact from the side(hitting the face), or along the edges of the rotor.

lol

rotors can and do warp without being red hot. All that is needed is a sudden uneven change in temperature.

like I said we've had this discussion before. Not only on this board, but others as well.

Bottom line is pads can and do leave deposits on the rotor surface, but rotors do physically warp. It's basic properties of metal.

I can agree to disagree on this topic though.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Rotors do warp. At 46 and been doing brakes for more than 30 years I have taken a set or two in to be resurfaced and they were warped. This happened to me When we lived in Maryland back in the 70s.
    Phil

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

lol

rotors can and do warp without being red hot. All that is needed is a sudden uneven change in temperature.

like I said we've had this discussion before. Not only on this board, but others as well.

Bottom line is pads can and do leave deposits on the rotor surface, but rotors do physically warp. It's basic properties of metal.

I can agree to disagree on this topic though.

i can agree on that. but i guess i left out the "in spec" section of my reply. im mainly saying rotors that are in spec dont warp.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

my point being deposits could be easily mistaken for a warped rotor since pulsation through the brake pedal would be almost the same.

oh and I forgot to mention the heated pad c/rotor complete stop, which would leave an indentation on the rotor.

that would also send a pulsation through the brake pedal. Can be remidied by turning thevrotors as well
    Different coeffcients of friction on different parts of the disk would not cause your brake pedal to pulsate. There would be nothing trying to move the caliper piston in or out.

Easiest way I know to show warped rotors is this test..just take an offramp like normal, 70mph or so, and pay attention as you hit the brakes. With your hand very lightly gripping the wheel, or maybe just your fingers on top of it, you will feel it try to move back and forth very quickly, like a shake, as you initially apply the brakes. It will only do this if the brakes are very lightly applied.

On the subject of the uneven deposit thing, I mostly call bs on that. If it is true, I'm sure all it would take to get rid of it would be a few hard applications of the brakes. I just don't see how deposits could form on a rotor while it is simultaneously being worn down.

as far as being mistaken, to the average person (ie not car guy/gal) they might no be able to tell the difference.

as far as pad deposit I think it's only with certain types of pad material, not all.

I've gone through the bedding process on my RL and it still does it. Don't really care since an update to the brake system is coming for that car.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm not sure what I think about this. There are days when I hit the brakes at 70 and it feels like the front end is going to fly apart. Then there are other days when it's like butter. Every Honda I've owned has been this way. I'm definitely going to be experimenting with different pad compounds in the future.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

a lot of what you feel has to do with the suspension setup as well.

but as for this argument on warping vs deposit, this same argument was made literally this time last year. i remember me and lx-incredible laughing about it at filibertos by my house in mesa, az.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Yeah, where is the brake lord when we need him?

I've had zero issues with the drilled Brembo rotors and AEM pads. Everything else I've tried has been shit, except the PBRs with the Brembo blanks. Those bitches really grabbed; ate the rotors before they got the chance to warp (or build up cementite).

Believe what you want. I've found Chinese rotors usually tend to warp/wear faster and cost you more in the long run.
    Last edited by LX-incredible; 04-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

bump for a sticky.

and i still say its all the way you drive your car. I've seen cars on Chinese rotors for a while and not "warp" them. and ive seen new brand name rotors get "warped" in like 2 weeks. Its the driver 99.999% of the time.