Thread: Tachometer Wiring Question

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Tachometer Wiring Question

Sort of a general wiring question about tachometers... I know they need the negative coil signal, and the ground, but do they also need a 12v connection to actually power the tach up? Do points type / electronic ignition tachs make any difference?

Basically, I've got a spare 78 Accord tach sitting around. I'm trying to put it in a Ford Festiva because the Fesitva is going in the 24 Hour of Lemons and we have a spending limit. It would be nice to use spare parts I have sitting around to put in the car so we don't have to spend $30 on a tach.

It's got 3 wires on it, Blue, Yellow and Black. Black is definitely ground since it goes on the body of the "motor" in the tach. I am guessing (but not sure) that blue goes to the negative on the coil, and the yellow is switched power? Does anybody know for sure? Is the 78 Accord points type or electronic?

Thanks for the he

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: Tachometer Wiring Question

I am not sure about yellow but blue definitely went to negative side on the coil.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    I am not sure about yellow but blue definitely went to negative side on the coil.
    Thanks yeah that's what I thought. I don't wanna wire 12v to that yellow wire and fry the thing, but I guess if that doesn't work, I'll just be buying a tach anyways...

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Let me check them up!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Yep, yellow wire went to the fusebox, and are connected to everything that requires +ve in the cluster, and I'm 100% positive (no pun intended) that it is positive.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Fuck yeah! 78 Accord Tachometer running in a 1992 Ford Festiva Race Car! Thanks for the help man!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

PICS and VIDS of the tach in action!!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

some have illumination too, which would be 12v switched

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm pretty confident that '78 was an electronic (ie: no lousy points) distributor.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    my other car is a magna :O

24 hours of lemons omg this is awesome, are you driving? those ford festiva's are pretty insane hoon machines, you'll need the tacho for advanced warning of the torque tsunami that will, without precise modulation, propel you into a once-distant buick. or tercel. it will occur completely without warning and a wheel may even come off like a red shell and clobber someone, hopefully an opponent. watch out anywhere between 2000 and 5000RPM [depending on service history], you'll want to mark that range on your gauge face with hazard stripes because you never know when the MONSTER will AWAKEN...

you probably already know this though i thought the electronic ignition happened from '79 onwards, but i am probably wrong.

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Quote Originally Posted by tomatofiasco View Post
    those ford festiva's are pretty insane hoon machines, you'll need the tacho for advanced warning of the torque tsunami that will, without precise modulation, propel you into a once-distant buick. or tercel. it will occur completely without warning and a wheel may even come off like a red shell and clobber someone, hopefully an opponent. watch out anywhere between 2000 and 5000RPM [depending on service history], you'll want to mark that range on your gauge face with hazard stripes because you never know when the MONSTER will AWAKEN...
    Yeah, the 1.1L engine can really bring overwhelming power!
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tomatofiasco View Post
    24 hours of lemons omg this is awesome, are you driving? those ford festiva's are pretty insane hoon machines, you'll need the tacho for advanced warning of the torque tsunami that will, without precise modulation, propel you into a once-distant buick. or tercel. it will occur completely without warning and a wheel may even come off like a red shell and clobber someone, hopefully an opponent. watch out anywhere between 2000 and 5000RPM [depending on service history], you'll want to mark that range on your gauge face with hazard stripes because you never know when the MONSTER will AWAKEN...

you probably already know this though i thought the electronic ignition happened from '79 onwards, but i am probably wrong.
    LOL! Oh man, you think that's nuts, we swapped in a 1.6 liter Mazda B6 engine (single cam). It really is a tire shredding torque monster. At least for that chassis. It's also a tail-happy, body-rolling, oversteering, beast as I found out this weekend. We took it to an autocross, and I managed to spin it out twice. We also found all of our awesome oil leaks on our freshly installed engine, which the other autocrossers weren't too fond of. :P It was only a few drips, just the rain that made it look worse than it was.