Thread: Sunroof is gone !

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Sunroof is gone !

When you get older, anything you didn't think can happen will happen.

Today I was cruising on interstate and I heard a loud "whoom" sound and next thing I knew, my sunroof is gone. It was kind of sucked out of the car. I pulled into the next avail stop and the rubber edge was flipped over to the roof and was still hanging on. I removed the rubber surround entirely then checked the frame where the piece of glass sat and that was only like windshield glue/adhesive to hold the glass. The frame is still there intact. Just the piece of glass is gone.

I'm afraid that this rare problem is hard to fix since I'm not sure if I can find parts for a 24 years old car. Friend of mine is a mechanic suggested to check the dealer as well but they may not have it. Even they have it, it is going to be expensive.

Any suggestions ?

-AC

3Geez Veteran

Re: Sunroof is gone !

Weld a piece of metal in place, paint.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Time to hit up the junkyard. They are out there.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

on the subject of sunroofs, are all older honda sunroofs the same?? or at least the glass part?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    on the subject of sunroofs, are all older honda sunroofs the same?? or at least the glass part?
    I looked up 88LXi and 86LXi part numbers and they are the same.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yeah I think I need to go to the junk yards but just not sure if I can find them. I also found this on Ebay but it doesn't look like my sunroof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89...Q5fAccessories

The pic posted by Bluntman looks like the right sunroof.

BTW, what should be a fair price if I can find the glass from junkyard ?

-AC
    Last edited by AC439; 04-07-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add info

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I think coupes and sedans are different sizes I think took off the sun cover off a coupe and diddnt fit seemed to be off like 3" or more but eh

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord dx 2dr, 1989 exi, 87 hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Shyboy88Lx-i View Post
    I think coupes and sedans are different sizes I think took off the sun cover off a coupe and diddnt fit seemed to be off like 3" or more but eh
    idk about a coupes sunroof but i know the one in my hatch is bigger then the one in the sedan i am junking.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Coupes and hatch never came with a sunroof from the factory. This is why they're all different.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LX User
    Vehicle
    2008 Honda Fit, 1993 Ford Mustang, 1989 Accord LX

Sorry to laugh but I showed my freind at work this and asked "what do you think happened to the cars behind him as the glass flew out?"

He simply shook his head and said "evasive manuevers". lol

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    Coupes and hatch never came with a sunroof from the factory. This is why they're all different.
    um i'm pretty sure my roof is factory in the hatch. its power can pop up forward or slide all the way back. Has an interior panel inside that can be slid over to cover it.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Lucky me !!!!!! After 10+ phone calls to local junkyards, I finally found one for $50. Picked it up and got it installed and it fits perfectly.

As to what happened to the car behind me ? I don't know. I was on a toll interstate and there was not a lot of traffic so cars are not closed together. I know there was a VW behind me and we were at about 80mph. He wasn't too close to me though. When I heard the "whoom" sound, I was stunted and looked up the roof without paying attention to the rear view mirror. Anyway, I signaled to the right and switched to the slow lane. Then he passed me without even looking. So I assume he was fine.

-AC
    Last edited by AC439; 04-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by beran24 View Post
    um i'm pretty sure my roof is factory in the hatch. its power can pop up forward or slide all the way back. Has an interior panel inside that can be slid over to cover it.
    That's exactly why it is not factory. The factory ones that were only available as options on LX(?) and SE-i sedans and standard on all LX-i sedans could only slide in and out of the roof. One way. They couldn't pop up like most aftermarket sunroofs can. The interior panel comes with almost every power sunroof.

Check the location of the button: All factory buttons are on the dash, in their regular spot next to the power mirror switch, and light up and say "OPEN" and "CLOSE" and "ROOF".

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    That's exactly why it is not factory. The factory ones that were only available as options on LX and SE-i sedans and standard on all LX-i sedans could only slide in and out of the roof. One way. They couldn't pop up like most aftermarket sunroofs can. The interior panel comes with almost every power sunroof.

Check the location of the button: All factory buttons are on the dash, in their regular spot next to the power mirror switch, and light up and say "OPEN" and "CLOSE" and "ROOF".
    i didnt no this. i thought it was factory cuz it looks so clean how its put in. I'm wondering is it possible to swap one from my exi sedan into my coupe? Im not sure how the sliding track bolts in and everything. has anyone done this?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Dang man, I was just gonna give you one. Want a spare? All you have to do is pick it up.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Smile Re: Sunroof is gone !

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Dang man, I was just gonna give you one. Want a spare? All you have to do is pick it up.
    Thanks man ! Appreciate that ! But I needed the car fixed ASAP (no spare car) so I bought the last one from junk yard. I'm all set now so I'll leave your offer to other 3G members whom may be in need.