Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B20A transmission advice - yes I've searched!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Re: B20A transmission advice - yes I've searched!

If it doesn't have any solenoid, it could be an A20A one.

Any pictures?

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

DX User

Yeah, will have to wait until tonight for the pics... Photobucket is blocked at work.

DX User

So apparently photobucket isn't blocked anymore...

Carotman - you ask - i deliver

Last edited by zedries; 07-19-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Hmm,

If the bell housing dowsn't match the one you currently have on your car, this means it's an A20A transmission.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Simple test to tell if its a20 or b20, take a 17mm bellhousing bolt from the b20a and stick it through the bolt holes in the bellhousing, if it fits its b20a if it doesnt its a20 as a series bellhousing bolts are 14mm.. well over here they are anyways if i recall correctly

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

indeeeeeeeeed

DX User

Hmm.. the problem is the tranny is still on the car so no bolts just yet.

Another possibility has been raised given since changint eh tranny fluid there has been a slight improvment and that is that perhaps the jerking/shudder could have something to do with the air/fuel mixture? My other lude has the ES engine and i have little experience with EFI so any thoughts on the diagnosis of injector/EFI issues?

Thanks guys.
    Z

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

could also try checking the engine mounts, they tend to make the car feel rough when they're ripped/worn

DX User

you fellas are full of ideas over here.. got some more from Rich and Alex over on pp.com.. Please click on the link to my thread there in the first post if there's anything you can add.... Will add engine mounts to the test.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

jerking?

Try unplugging the connector that goes to the TCC solenoids on top of the bell housing. That will disable them, you dont really need those except to conserve fuel at highway speeds.
    Check the TV cable adjustment, and check it for free range of movement with no sticking.

DX User

update people - With new leads because the old ones were crap and plugs (because the old ones were worn and wrong!!) plus a general service including injector cleaner, transmission treatment and a full tank of premium fuel there is no more bogging down and jerking.

Turns out it was mainly a fuel delivery and ignition firing problem.

Also have a new rotor and cap that just turned up which will be fitted next time I get down there to drive the car back to its new home.

We took the car up and down a mountain and all I have to say is wow! These engines really have a lot of torque compared to the ES and A20 engines... Now considering there is still more to do like putting proper honda ATF which I am told will help the Auto changing gears especially into reverse when cold as well as possibly a new front left wheel bearing I'm really looking forward to driving this beast around even if it's an auto.

Since I've determined that the problem I was having was more to do with fuel deliver and ensuring all cylinders were firing correctly are there any other pointers you guys can give me?

Also, there's a crap load of spilled oil on the engine and I think I need to put some gasket sealer on the rocker cover which is pushing out a little but what's the chances of the crank case gasket being worn and causing any of this?

Last question - anyone know the measurements of the wheel bearings? I understand they are pressed into the disc which I believe is a 262mm one but I didn't have time to check it nor was I game to pull it all off just yet.

Thanks in advance for the input peeps.
    Zaahir

DX User

Exclamation Re: B20A transmission advice - yes I've searched!

So here's a quick update via iPhone.

I just went to Melbourne and took in hand a set of new lower control arm strut mount bushings (left one is a little smashed) and set about getting shit done and taking possession of my B20a powered lude.

To cut a very long story short We couldn't get the bushings changed... Not a big drama. Also couldn't get in for a wheel alignment.. Also not imperative and also forgot my new rotor and cap... Also not a massive issue.

On the plus side I got a second hand front bar for $10, pit new oil, filter and gave her a once over and set off to drive the 1000km to Sydney.

All was going well when about 2 hours in to my drive and about 6.30pm I am about 10pm from a tiny town when I see the battery/charge light come on.. SHIT! I stop in a random car park and see a frayed belt o er the pulley and half haning on the floor... No parts stor open, very poor 3G reception and VERY LIMITED tools and disappearing light. The only plus?... At least it's not the alternator!

I look in the bay and see in blue writing on the outside of the alternator case "civic zc"... I make my way to the only petrol station and some old dude says "no mechanic .... Belts on the wall"... I pick up a dayco 3PK895 and decide to try my chances.

By now it's almost 8pm so I buy a torch, belt, WD40 and a set of spanners... And just in case the belt doesn't work I grab 2 packs of panty hose... Ask 3gcvc about that suggestion.

The entire time I'm on the phone to my mate Hayden who's frantically trying to find a part number for me and on gmail chat to alex about my situation.

Anyway, I take up a position under a street light on the main road of this little town and get to work. No time for removing power steering.. Cut the belt and stick my fingers in the bay with a torch between my teeth changing q belt outside a pub with drunk onlookers... Oh, did I mention it was raining?

Off comes the support bracket and on with the far too long belt.. Swing the alternator towards the firewall and pray at start up! After a lot of zinging noise and some rear cross member rubbing I finally have a functioning alternator...

Now to find somewhere to sleep after being cheered off by the publicans... No dice... There's a wedding in this one horse town and half of bloody Melbourne is here... Caravan park lady takes pity on me and I sleep in my car with access to facilities... I think I had more freeze on me than was left on the engine!

Sunday mornIng and I'm off with cautious abandon.. 100km later and the car is performing well... Solid shifting and very respectable top end torque... I think I was surprising the 6 & 8 cylinder boys on the road.

11 hours later and after stopping at many parts stores along the way and collecting a 3pk810 belt I arrive in Sydney at my cousins place... Oh and I stopped a couple of times and checked coolant level... I think the water pump is on it's way out.

I try and fit the 3pk810 belt and it's too short!

At least it made it home and the transmission performed better than expected.

Anyone got ampartmnumber for alternator belt? The one that snapped on my car was unrecognisable!

So that was my weekend... What did you guys get up to? Lol

Now I'm tired.. And yes, that was the short version.

Zaahir

DX User

Oh, and can a mod change the thread title to "B20A rescued and revived" - given that's what I'm intending on doing it seems more apt.

Thanks
    Z

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

What a fun sounding weekend!

DX User

yep - what a weekend it was.

I'm thinking its time for some pics in this thread - I'll be working on her on Saturday so I'll take some pics and maybe I'll get some action in this thread.

Question for all you crazy cats - bearing in mind I don't have access to my engine at the moment - How many seals are there on the timing belt side of the engine? I'm thinking there is the water pump, the oil pump, cam shaft seals.... what else am I missing? I'm trying to order while I'm on my lunch break at work to save visiting parts shops on the weekends who will simply tell me they don't know what I'm talking about or say "special order only" and then walk away...

Oh, and do you guys know if the timing belt tensioner is the same as those from the 3G ludes?

Thanks in advance.
    Z

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by zedries View Post
    Yeah, will have to wait until tonight for the pics... Photobucket is blocked at work.
    Someone asked website is blocked at work.. just find some proxy, search on google for "proxy zone"

enjoy I hope this helps