Thread: flippy headlight issue....

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Question flippy headlight issue....

I have looked through the forum and have had no luck so here i am lol. My headlights will not go down on my 89 LX. if i manually put them down, they go up when i turn them on, but they just wont go down when i shut them off. any secret button or hand signal i am missing? or is it some type of electrical issue?

Thanks!!!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: flippy headlight issue....

There's a switch to the right of the steering wheel. It's in a cluster of 3 switches. If it goes bad, the lights will stay up.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

the dimmer switch seems to be working right, any other ideas?

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

It's not the dimmer switch, its an overide to have your headlights up with them off.
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX - Automatic with 228K

A few years back the battery was placed in the car backwards with the polarity switched. Of course this immediately blew the battery fuse but a side effect was that the headlights would not flip up. I replaced the headlight control module (behind the internal fuse panel) but still the same issue. I could manually rotate them down and they would come up when headlights were turned on. A few weeks ago I finally decide to track down the issue.

As the previous poster mentioned my problem was with headlight up/down switch (first switch in the 3 switch cluster on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.) I found that I could use a small wire to test continuity across the connector pins for the up down function of the lights through trial and error so I new it had to be a problem with the circuit board itself. After closer inspection it was clear there was a thin trace wire on the small circuit board for the switch that had been fried. Not wanting to buy or find a new one just to fix this tiny piece of cooper I used a conductive pen (from radio shack) to redraw the trace line. Took some time and patience to repair the board by hand but the lights now work perfectly.